Not enough calories warning message from MFP

Options
I was so busy the other day that I missed a meal. I don't do it all the time but sometimes I'm just running around fighting little emergencies.

Anyways, I just got my first "warning you may not be eating enough" message from MFP. What does this mean?

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    you netted under 1200 calories. danger!
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    It means you haven't eaten 1200 calories.

I get it every day and find it hilarious - it tells you that you are risking going into starvation mode but in the same breath (okay paragraph!) tells you that you will weigh a significantly lower amount than you currently do in 5 weeks time.

asjerven - I don't think you get the message if you fail to net 1200, just if you fail to eat them. Not sure though.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I was so busy the other day that I missed a meal. I don't do it all the time but sometimes I'm just running around fighting little emergencies.

Anyways, I just got my first "warning you may not be eating enough" message from MFP. What does this mean?

It means you may hurt yourself by not getting the required nutrition. This will only happen after days and days of not getting enough.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It means you haven't eaten 1200 calories.

I get it every day and find it hilarious - it tells you that you are risking going into starvation mode but in the same breath (okay paragraph!) tells you that you will weigh a significantly lower amount than you currently do in 5 weeks time.

asjerven - I don't think you get the message if you fail to net 1200, just if you fail to eat them. Not sure though.

You will lose more, based on the math, but a large % of the loss will come from muscle instead of the fat that you want to lose.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Yup, you ate under 1200 calories which can put you into the dreaded starvation mode (or just generally put you in danger of not getting enough nutrients and stuff). Don't worry too much if it's just once in a while, but it's best not to net under 1200 on a daily basis. :)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I get it every day too :)
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Seriously, you have to ask?

It means you're consuming an unhealthy amount of calories. Forcing your body into starvation mode.
  • tigersmoondiva
    tigersmoondiva Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" is based on a old study done on men of *NORMAL* weight and is largely a myth for people who are overweight. Yet when you ask people why you are not losing weight - this is their reply because OBVIOUSLY if you want to lose weight you must eat MORE....

Whatever - I stopped listening to the junk science and found that even I can lose weight - with a bad thyroid even - if I cut the calories.
  • amberdaniels
    Options
    "Starvation mode" is based on a old study done on men of *NORMAL* weight and is largely a myth for people who are overweight. Yet when you ask people why you are not losing weight - this is their reply because OBVIOUSLY if you want to lose weight you must eat MORE....

Whatever - I stopped listening to the junk science and found that even I can lose weight - with a bad thyroid even - if I cut the calories.

Honey, I don't know where you got your information but it is a very current study and you won't be loosing fat, mostly you will be loosing muscle. I have a bad thyroid also, and I am loosing weight by listening to what you call "junk science." I have lost a total of 45 lbs and even though I have 30 or 40 more to loose it has been a healthy loss.

Tom, honey, just make sure you meet the calories and nutrients that you need for the day and you will be awesome! AND you will loose the weight.
  • SlackerGirl121
    Options
    It just means what it says, you didn't eat enough that day. The body requires a minimum number of calories to function. Too much less than that and your metabolism slows down. Also vitamins and minerals require a certain amount of fats and carbs to absorbed properly. Eating too little inhibits absorption.

I've gotten that warning a time or two.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You get it if your net intake (food+exercise) is less than your daily calorie goal.
  • zapatasbloodjv
    Options
    its fairly straight forward.

U must have been under a lot...from time to time im a couple hundred calories short but I never get the message.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    You may not get the message if you've entered exercise for that day. I've come under quite a few times, but if I've done any exercise (regardless of whether that is what pulls me under 1200) I think I'm safe from the message...
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Ok. That makes sense. I didn't realize that I was sabotaging my muscles or where that 1200 calorie limit came from. When I glanced "Starvation Mode" in the message, I interpreted it as useless jibber jabber, since I was hungry/starving my first couple weeks on MFP. I definitely don't want that.

To be honest, I've had less and less appetite everyday this week cuz I think I'm coming down with something. Coupled with working through lunch and scraping together a dinner.... and someone stealing my lunch from the office fridge twice this week... Sometimes, the only available food for lunch is some leftover donuts from a meeting.... and I'd rather starve a little until I can get something more substantial. I'm trying to hit the major food pyramid groups so I think I'm good on the nutrition. No empty calories here.

Anyways, thanks for the insight.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    The thing is, thats just a general number. My gf has her profile setup for 1lb a week, and if she makes her goal calories everyday, she gets that warning message! Its just because she is smaller than the average person, so she gets it everytime. Just make sure you are not starving yourself.