Incorporating cardio into your workout routine

Options
How do you all incorporate cardio into your workout routine? I weight train 5 days a week 1st thing in the morning, for 1 hour. I'm aware that cardio isn't recommended on same days as weight training. Also how long are your cardio sessions?

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    This is me, not suggesting This Is The Way, and if it matters I'm male early 50's. On weights days, I get on my stationary bike first for 20-25 minutes, which serves as a warmup and burns some cals. I aim to do push/legs/pull over 3 consecutive days. Then I aim for 2 days with just the cardio and eating at more of a deficit, still with good protein intake of course, and I'll do 40+ minutes on the bike. I want to push that number higher. Some times I feel like I need an extra day gap between weights, or even a full rest day.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    There are actually some that say cardio and weights can compliment each other. I'm pretty muscular but only lift 2x a week. Perhaps it's because I mostly row for cardio. I used to run and running tends to make you thin whereas rowing builds bulk on me.

I do two days a week hard (interval work rowing or Assault Bike intervals) for cardio. One day, I'll mix them together -- like 500m intervals on the rower along with shoulder/leg/chest compound movements. Brutal day. Not uncommon to burn 800 calories in an hour (I do 8 sets). I do this one at home but I have a lot of equipment, just not heavy barbell/weight plates -- but I do have a power tower, adjustable Bowflex weights, bench, up to 70 lb KB, heavy rope, slam balls (up to 40 lbs) and more.

The other hard day, I might do 4 X 2000m row and then lift at the gym and lift heavier. I'm older and have a cruddy right knee so I'll mix freeweights and machines for the heavier leg lifts.

It's really about what you're trying to achieve. I'm certainly not going to build peak power the way I workout, but my endurance strength is excellent, especially for my age.

Lifting 5 days a week makes it harder for a rest or easy day. I'd rather have the hard days hard and the easy days easy. In your case, with a 5 day lift plan, I'd just focus on one or two days of cardio and warmups before a lift (like a mile jog or something). But you should strive for balance. I think most would benefit from at least 3 hours of cardio a week. I lean heavier on that side (around 6 to 7 hours a week with 2 hours lifting, not including the rowing, which is essentially a light lift).

This is the reason I like "two for" workouts -- cardio and lifting type of machines in one -- Stairmaster, Assault Bike, Rower, Jacob's Ladder, Endless Rope Machine, Bike Trainer, Cycling, Kayaking, strenuous Hiking, running hills, sprints, Climbing machines, sleds, KB swings. These types of cardio also work your muscles. Cardio is also built over time, sometimes many years. I used to despise cardio. I started doing it around 15 or 16 years ago, during my first weight loss. It evolved from there very slowly.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You can do cardio and strength on the same day. Do the cardio second, otherwise you'll be more tired when you go to lift and that can be dangerous.

You also don't need to do crazy intense cardio when you do incorporate it into your exercise routine. Walking is perfectly valid cardiovascular exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    wally2wiki wrote: »
    How do you all incorporate cardio into your workout routine? I weight train 5 days a week 1st thing in the morning, for 1 hour. I'm aware that cardio isn't recommended on same days as weight training. Also how long are your cardio sessions?

"Cardio" covers a pretty broad range of things, from light exercise to very strenuous. I lift full body 2x per week and just keep my cardio to light or moderate on those days. I lift during my lunch hour and my cardio is generally done in the evening after work...either just a walk or a pretty easy bike ride. I reserve more strenuous cardio like my spin class and my bike interval work on Zwift for non-lifting days. In general, where cardio is concerned, I make sure I have a good mix of variable efforts.

I personally don't see a 30 minute jog or something after weight training as being particularly detrimental to anything. I'd just stay away from strenuous cardiovascular work on lifting days.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Rules" for should/shouldn't do this or that are really guidelines and you have to look a bit deeper into the why behind the "rule".
    e.g. compromised training or recovery.
    If you aren't compromising either of those then what do you see as the problem?

I don't find any difficulty in doing both cardio and weights on the same day.
    A cycle ride and upper body weights is a pretty good compliment. That bike ride could be several hours but then several hours recovery before lifting which probably would be upper body and core work.
    A very tough bike ride in terms of duration and/or intensity clearly wouldn't be an ideal day to do "leg day" in the gym.
    On the other hand an easy ride has zero impact on my weight training. That rule/recommendation is becomming pretty nuanced isn't it?
    You can also make a case for leg day followed by LISS could help recovery and not harm it. Cardio is an extraordinary wide range.

There are also many people that do a cardio warm up before lifting. A quick 5k row is a pretty good general warm up.

Your personal fitness level also makes a big difference too, probably the quickest progress I saw in the gym was when I was a very fit teenager when most weights workouts followed an hour of very competitive squash - which mostly taxed my CV system and not my muscles. Wasn't a problem at all and fitted my schedule nicely.
    But you need to assess your overall training load and your personal capabilities.

Now I have plenty of time for my exercise my favoured approach is indeed to do my cardio and weights on different days (or at least spaced out if the same day) as I prefer the complete focus on one or the other, most of my training lifetime I've not had that luxury.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    I'd second the advice above, but want to make explicit something I think others have implied but not underscored: There are ridiculously many forms of cardio. Some are not very muscularly intense at all (walking, maybe). Most are at least potentially fatiguing for some muscle groups (cycling, say). Very few are potentially very fatiguing for large numbers of muscle groups (like maybe XC skiing).

Depending on the nature of your strength routine, thinking about the specific cardio exercise to do is IMO pretty important. I'm assuming if you're doing 5 days you probably have a body part split of some kind. Think about how your cardio choice fits in with your split, so you get reasonable recovery overall.

That's in addition to the concept that you don't need to do intense cardio every time: In fact, doing relatively more lower intensity cardio, with high intensity as a side dish or condiment, is a pretty standard approach to training in CV sports.

For you, that advice to do weights first, cardio after (other than maybe a light cardio warmup) - that makes sense. It makes sense for most people. But I think the more general rule is to do the one that's highest priority first. For a few people, at least during some parts of their training calendar, that will be some sport-specific activity, with lifting a little lower priority, if both need to be done on the same day. Just my opinion, though.
  • 1zziebee
    1zziebee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A lot of take-always and good advice. I also need to work on my cardio so I can progressively increase my strength training. Been taking 1-2 spin classes in addition to 2x wk lifting.
  • dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Personally I walk 3 miles every morning 7x a week. Then lift weights in the afternoon and practice martial arts at night. I love low intensity cardio because it works as active recovery. I wouldn't be able to run every morning like that. There's no hard rule that says you have to lift weights before cardio. Especially if there's a break in between. You can do it in any order or at anytime that feels right for you.