My 4am-5am workout before Work

Options
I have been determined and motivated to be at the Gym by 4am Monday- Friday and stay until 5am thats before work and I'm on my feet during work as I'm a manager at an Skechers outlet. Please feel free to add me I need friends.

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's impressive. I have admiration (and envy) of those who can get moving in the morning. Hopefully you can keep it up. If you have to change to evenings, or some other time of day, do it. My motivation to work out early is always good for a while, but I'm just not enough of a morning person to create the habit. Good work!!! :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I usually get up around 5:15 to get my dogs up and out and to workout before work. My workout is generally between 5:30-6:21, but I can do more on days off from work, or may start later. I do these workouts at home. What are you doing at the gym?
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I get up at 0500, because I don't have time after work with having a Todler.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've started getting up at 4:30 several days a workout several days a week, it was a struggle the first few times but now that I've been at it for a while its not bad. I feel so much better when I get up and get moving.
  • Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    So... I'm up at 4:15am, to prep breakfast/coffee and send my husband off to work.
    - I have quite a bit of time (1.5hrs) that I could use to do something productive (such as workout) before I need to get ready and be out the door
    - My goal is to get back to a consistent workout routine early in the am since I work and the evening doesn't allow me much time for working out (kids, homework, family dinner, cleanup)
    - Been having a hard time finding the motivation to "stay up" vs. go back to sleep, any tips?
    - I absolutely know that I'll enjoy it and feel much better if I actually get it done, but it's a daily argument (w/myself) and my comfy warm bed calls my name.
    - I've done it before worked out consistently for 3-4 months, but it was due to being part of a weight-loss challenge with family members & there was money involved, so that was the motivation (friendly competition + money).

Let me know, what helps keep you motivated to be up get it out the way early?
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I just made it part of my normal daily routine. I prefer to do as much as possible early before anything else can get in the way. When I put it off, seems like something else comes up to derail plans.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Yukie_OP wrote: »
    So... I'm up at 4:15am, to prep breakfast/coffee and send my husband off to work.
    - I have quite a bit of time (1.5hrs) that I could use to do something productive (such as workout) before I need to get ready and be out the door
    - My goal is to get back to a consistent workout routine early in the am since I work and the evening doesn't allow me much time for working out (kids, homework, family dinner, cleanup)
    - Been having a hard time finding the motivation to "stay up" vs. go back to sleep, any tips?
    - I absolutely know that I'll enjoy it and feel much better if I actually get it done, but it's a daily argument (w/myself) and my comfy warm bed calls my name.
    - I've done it before worked out consistently for 3-4 months, but it was due to being part of a weight-loss challenge with family members & there was money involved, so that was the motivation (friendly competition + money).

Let me know, what helps keep you motivated to be up get it out the way early?

What if you get up, put your gym clothes on and then go to do the breakfast and coffee prep? You might be less likely to be drawn back to bed if you're already dressed.
  • Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    @Redordeadhead - good input, thank you. I think I'll try that : put my gym clothes next to my bed, so that I"ll be ready and less inclined to slip back into bed.
  • mirianyusm
    mirianyusm Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do all of my heavy workouts at between 4:30 and 6:30 am before work. I run in my treadmill at 4:30 Tue and Thu, I take a spinning class at 5:30 am on Wed and Fri and I swim on Sundays at 8:00 am. My yoga and strength classes are in the evening after work. I am a runner but now I am training for triathlons. I just started this summer and am loving it.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yukie_OP wrote: »
    @Redordeadhead - good input, thank you. I think I'll try that : put my gym clothes next to my bed, so that I"ll be ready and less inclined to slip back into bed.

When I go to fold my laundry, I bundle full outfits of exercise clothes together, so I just need to grab a roll of clothes and put them on my body - no fumbling in drawers for undergarments, no worries about forgetting socks or underwear if I'm going to the gym as opposed to just my living room, very grab-and-go friendly. Works best with longer bottoms, so you can wrap one leg inside out over the whole bundle to hold it together, but it's possible to do with shorts if you use a sports bra or your socks to hold the bundle together instead.

When I started my journey a year ago, I also noticed I had a good 30-40 minutes in the mornings before work that I was spending doomscrolling rather than doing literally anything better for my mental or physical health. That span gave me time for a 20-minute workout video and a shower. Then I started needing to get up an hour earlier for unrelated reasons, which gave me a lot more time to exercise in the morning. In the past 2 months-ish I kind of fell off the first-thing-in-the-morning-workout wagon (my excuse: I've been dealing with a stressful health situation with my husband and sleeping poorly, so that extra hour+ of sleep was more necessary than a morning workout). I opted instead to do stuff in the evenings, and to my credit I did in fact go for walks or to the gym or play some Ring Fit Adventure or whatever in the evenings, but as of last week I'm rebuilding the first-thing habit because I did actually feel good when I was doing that regularly. Whatever else happened that day, I'd at least accomplished that one thing; it was a nice energy boost to start my day; and, when I got home, I could become one with the couch without guilt. Although lately I've also started adding evening walks in addition to the morning workout videos, because I find them pleasant.
  • princessdimplz
    princessdimplz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been waking up at 4:30AM to get to the gym by 5AM and sometimes I make it at 5AM and other times I get there at 5:15AM. Either way...I get there. However, I made a goal to get to the gym this week by 5AM and it's been working out. I love the longer workouts, I also enjoy being able to warm-up before and stretch afterwards. I sit down all day for work. I do make a point to get moving every hour for a few minutes because of this. It's tough getting up so early, but once my teeth are brushed I'm good to go
  • jaderiffic7
    jaderiffic7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What time do yall go to bed? it seems like the only time i could workout is around 5 and want to start doing that. Full time work and two kids under 3 makes eveything time-challenged.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Im up at 4:30-4:45, an hour workout, do farm chores and shower before my husband leaves for work. Then I get my son up fed and dressed and off to work and school, I try and go to bed by 9:30 but most of the time its 10:00
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    What time do yall go to bed? it seems like the only time i could workout is around 5 and want to start doing that. Full time work and two kids under 3 makes eveything time-challenged.

I get up at 6 or 6:30 every day. I try to be in bed no later than 11 and ideally closer to 10. I also work full-time, but I don't have kids. I acknowledge that factoring in the needs of your tiny humans would make doing basically anything more complicated for you than it would be for me.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I try to go to bed by 9, but it doesn't always happen.
  • Eltriste73
    Eltriste73 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am at the gym 5AM earliest 6AM latest. It is the only way that allows me to be consistent.
  • loprezl
    loprezl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love how you all are motivated and pushing yourself to get that morning workout. 👍 I tried the morning for awhile but had to change my workouts to the evening due to the fact, I workout at home and when I lift, I tend to yell and scream (curses ) to release tension 🤭😂 and my partner gets mad because he needs his sleep. Continue to keep pushing yourself and you'll see results 💪 #yougotthis
  • Brian61664
    Brian61664 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I get up by 4 to go to work so I'm in bed between 8 & 9 . After you put the kids to bed what do you do? Watch some time wasting TV or surf the internet, put that time to getting enough good sleep and once you get use to your new routine it makes it easy.
  • mirianyusm
    mirianyusm Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Having two little ones makes it really hard. Do what you can when you can and don't feel guilty if you can't get up at 4:30 to workout. Working early in the morning might not be your thing. Everybody is different. You might even have to wait until the kids are a little older to being able to plan a workout routine. Life is not all work, work, work. Be kind to yourself.