Jewelry question

Options
I've now lost enough weight my wedding ring keeps slipping off. Since I have alot more weight to lose getting it resized now would hopefully be silly. Anyone else dealt with this problem? Suggestions?

Replies

• lsunshineraej
    Options
    I have had the same problem. I haven't taken it to be resized yet so I just wrapped a tiny bandaid around the underside of the ring so it won't slip anymore.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    They make little tiny rubber thingies that slip on the ring so it won't slide off. Check a jewelry store.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem. I haven't taken it to be resized yet so I just wrapped a tiny bandaid around the underside of the ring so it won't slip anymore.

I did that too!! :bigsmile: Too funny!! I finally took it in and got it resized!
  • loseatonlady
    Options
    I still haven't had mine resized - but need to. I'd wait till you're closer to your goal! Great feeling though & maybe go with an inexpesive band to wear until then? That's what I did & I kinda like it and it doesn't matter if it gets ding'd up during hard workouts!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    They make little tiny rubber thingies that slip on the ring so it won't slide off. Check a jewelry store.

This! But the jewelry stores didn't have it. I had to go to one of those cheapy accessory stores called Icing. The jewelry stores can do something in gold (much more costly) for you. Either a ring sizer or put gold balls inside the band to make it fit better. I myself am using the plastic tube thingys from Icing as resizing isn't cheap. It cost me $200 to have mine done 3 years ago when I got it sized up.
  • janegeno
    janegeno Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hehe! My own milestone is that I wore my wedding ring all day yesterday and slept in it without my finger swelling up.

My mother offered to pay to have it resized larger (lol she is embarrassed I go about with a nakey finger - does she think I am trying to pick up guys???) but I told her it would be better to resize myself. :bigsmile:
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Either get a ring reducer (the rubber thing) or wear it on a chain about the neck, maybe? My dad used to do that with his.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    [/quote] I myself am using the plastic tube thingys from Icing as resizing isn't cheap. It cost me $200 to have mine done 3 years ago when I got it sized up.
    [/quote]

It will be much cheaper to have it sized down. When you go up, they charge you for the gold or platinum they insert. :)

I wouldn't recommend resizing the same ring very many times if you can help it. Eventually, the metal will become brittle. I had a watch with a gold band, and the jeweler could only fix it so many times.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Have you checked with a jewelry store? It might not be as bad as you think since they won't be adding any materials (and this might be a dumb questions, but shouldn't they credit you for any significant amount of gold or platinum that is removed?)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If one still has a significant amount of weight to lose, it's best to wait. A ring really can only be resized so many times without problems. The insert or ring around the band is the best way to go, but I know when I was pregnant that I wore mine on a chain around my neck after the first trimester because I had a big issue with swelling.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You can buy ring sizers at pharmacies, WalMart, etc. They're little clear plastic sleeves that you slip onto the ring to help hold it in place. I'd just get a set of those and call it good.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    One of my co-workers just wraps string (actually dental floss, I think) around the underside of the band.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options

That's what I've been using. I think they're called "ring snuggies" or something like that.
  • mrsway
    mrsway Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have to laugh because this is a regular discussion around my house. My husband has lost so much weight that his ring doesn't even come close to fitting. He actually broke a plate that was dry on the counter when he shook the water off his hands and his ring went flying! Sadly his is made from Tungsten which means we can't re-size it so we are looking into purchasing the identical ring in a smaller size (thankfully it is still available).

In the mean time we are looking for the little silicone bands that adhere to the inside of the ring taking up a lot of that extra space, but they are incredibly hard to find. I wouldn't re-size it until closer to your final weight and you have seen how your fingers react in different seasons too. Generally they will swell in the summer, so if it fits then it may be too big in the winter. Either way it is a positive sign of all your hard work!
  • puddles76
    puddles76 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    They are called ring gaurds. The plastic ones are cheap at about $2 but if you value your ring head to a jewelry store and ask for one to be installed. It should be a small metal piece the clips on the underside of the ring.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    the jeweler can put on a ring guard on the inside of the ring for you until you reach your final size. it's about $5 bucks.
  • wiglet23
    wiglet23 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    The ring guards are great, but be careful where you go to have one installed. Tried to have one installed on my daughter's ring at a department store and they scratched up the gold on her band. The jewelry store where my ring was purchased put it on for free, but, sadly, I think most freebies like that are going away these days.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    My wedding ring actually was a bit too loose even a month after we go married. Bad on me, but it was on clearance for so little that it's okay. I wear my engagement band instead and Mike and I discussed just getting new rings if ours start to fall off. I know it doesn't seem sentimental but it is! Think of it: our new rings would sort of celebrate that we lost weight together and it made our marriage stronger.
  • sallywilson06
    sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I would wait to re-size it for now till you are at a steady healthy weight and possible just wrap a band-aide around your finger under the ring to keep it more snug. If that doesn't work then try wrapping some string around the bottom part of the ring to tighten it more temporarily.