My first 5K

Options
Happy Friday MFP world! I am posting to get some tips or general suggestions on what to expect for my first 5K coming up in October. I am so excited for this and I've been training the past 3 months on getting used to running 3-4 miles. I can do a 5K in under 35 minutes. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I found my times are faster than when I trained. The event will push you in a good way. Make sure you balance it out though so you have enough to the end.

Do you have a plan for breakfast?

Have fun and enjoy the experience! They are addictive.
  • freshstart4me
    Options

read this...i read this the other day and will re-read it again and again...congrats on your upcoming 5K...mine is in a couple of weeks, my first one so i feel your nerves as well :)
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Have a great time! I went into my first 5k without running the whole distance outside all at once. The race pushed me to finish without stopping and I managed it under 35 minutes. Now, I just get to work on getting faster and running farther.

Good luck! You'll be great!
  • Gwooh
    Gwooh Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I did my first this past April! We only ran 1.5 miles of the race and finished in 43 minutes. It is a great experience. I am actually walking a 5K tomorrow. I have one planned for my birthday in October. And one last one in November.

I’m shooting for a half in 2012!
  • hipchick82
    hipchick82 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone for the motivation and support and link to the article. I'm halfway thru reading it, and it will definitely be bookmarked :) I used to use MFP just for calorie logging and not so active on the boards, but I am digging the support and encouragement from everyone on different topics, it really gives you a confidence boost!

With regards to breakfast, if I'm not out the door hitting the pavement within 10 minutes of waking up (5am), I won't get myself to do it later in the day. So I typically eat a half a granola bar, or slice of cheddar cheese and cracker + sips of water before my run. I know it's very little, but if I eat any more than that, no matter how long of a time before I run I just feel so full. I am planning on eating the same before the race. I've got a cousin who has done half marathons so I know she definitely eats differently the day before and of the race...but since it's 5K I figure it might not be a good idea to sway away from my norm. It would be amazing though if I can run it faster just by being pumped up from the event!!
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You will get such a rush running with a huge group of people, and running across that finish line is just indescribable. Have fun, you will love it!