Am I just naturally big?

Options
GigiJabo
GigiJabo Posts: 13 Member
edited December 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Im wondering if Im just genetically predisposed to being fat. I will continue to eat healthy and exercise but want to make sure my goal is attainable for me and something I can maintain long term. I would ideally like to be thin and toned but don't want to set myself up for failure. So I started to get chubby at 4 years old and have struggled gone up and down since. My family did not have junk and my mom made home cooked meals that did not have processed short cuts like box macaroni and cheese. We rarely went out to eat or got take out. That being said I did eat a lot of rice, bread and pasta and didn’t exercise. I have lost weight and gained it back. Right now I am losing but my calorie intake is kinda low, 1,200. Im 175 lbs. So based on what I shared about my history is it possible to get and maintain the figure Id like or am I just the type of person that naturally has some fluff?

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I think you have to find what’s right for you. If I eat a bunch of breads pastas rice I gain like crazy. It’s about portions as well if you grow up not knowing your portions and your portions are like 3 servings per item on your plate you might not realize this is why you struggle to lose. Even if you think you are eating healthy you may be surprised to learn it’s not. Calories counting is a tool to use, finding your magic weight loss number that you lose at is important eat over it you gain eat under it you don’t lose, mine was higher and more excercise done more I had to eat if it was an intense hike or something. I could not lose on traditional diets, I have pros so weight loss was hard. I have to eat low carb or moderate to lose. Either keto or carb cycle was only thing that helped me and I still had to watch calories. Even when I moved on to other things like intermittent fasting, omad and 2mad I still have to watch calories bc I’ll gain very quickly.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    I think the problem we have is we " eat healthy & exercise ", and never ask if that is not the answer, since it is NOT working.

Exercise won't make you lose much weight. You can speed up your metabolism some, and more muscle does it, but as a chubby kid who read about Arnold Schwarzenegger, and was determined to build muscle finds out quickly... you CAN build some muscle but most of us won't add enough to help with weight loss. Exercise has cardiovascular benefits, as well as building muscle, and strengthening tendons, and ligaments, but it should be looked to for weight loss.

Diet is 90% of weight loss, and we diligently follow the recommendations. I'm not saying we EAT what we plan, because that is almost impossible.. we eat our 2000 calorie diet, with fruit, grains, veggies, low fat, and low protein. 30% fat, 50% carbs, and 20% protein is what we learn, or a set amount of servings of each food group.

Since we are not idiots, ANY of us can plan a diet which does what is needed. Some of us even get a diet made by a dietitian/nutritionist, and all we have to do, is eat that.. so WHY do we fail?

The answer is because we feel hungry.. cravings, hunger.. whatever it is.. we eat because we feel we should. We can resist some, but in the end, we all succumb, and those who succeed, often do so, while feeling hungry and miserable all the time. Those who give in are looked upon as failures.

What you should do, is ask why a diet which gives you the right mix of macros, and the right amount of calories.. leaves you feeling hungry 3 hours after a meal.

I say the answer is that you are not eating the proper macros. We fail, because what is suggested doesn't work for most people.

Losing weight is simple.. eat a diet which eliminates any hunger on the recommended calories.

For me, that is 75-80% fat, 1-3% carbs, and 19-24% protein. Yes, calories matter. I eat 1600-1800 calories a day. I am 240 lbs. @ 5'6".. down 120 lbs.

Most people aren't diabetic, and can have more carbs, less fat.. we all need to find out what works for us.. but imagine if we started with a 60% fat, 20% protein, and carbs, with carbs coming from almost all non-starchy vegetables, a small amount of fruit throughout the year, and limited dairy, nuts, legumes, if you can handle them.

High fat, low carb, is an extreme corrective diet, I am doing AFTER becoming diabetic, from eating such high carbs for decades.. and bad carbs as well, but if we ate a high fat, moderate protein and carb diet from birth, we wouldn't be damaging our body until it breaks down, and we start to think hunger is NORMAL.. because it isn't. You should be able to go 2-3 days before you feel the need to eat. I eat every 5 hours, then fast 14 hours overnight, BUT, if I didn't eat for 48 hours, I would be fine.. THAT is normal.

We struggle, because we have been lied to, and think our diet is normal, so everything that occurs to us.. hunger, overeating, weight gain, aching joints, lethargy, and eventually diseases like heart disease, cancer & diabetes are ALSO normal. They are normal patterns in a life. They ARE NOT!

Doctors, nutritionists, and anyone dispensing dietary advice, which requires a license, has to repeat the common beliefs, even if it has made the majority of America sick, hungry, and miserable.

If following the advice ( if you can ) works for you, then you are lucky, and should stick to it. I feel the same about ANY plan which makes us healthy, since THAT is the goal.. to never be hungry, unless we fast for days, not hurt, have lots of energy, and not be low in nutrition, when we get tested.. and a healthy weight as well.

BUT, if it is NOT working, why are you trying it, failing, cheating until the memory of the last attempt fades, and trying the same thing over again... and again. It won't work the second time, or the 50th time. It won't work for you.

So try something else. I recommend what has worked for me, but if being a vegetarian works.. do THAT.. just stop doing what does not work.. makes sure you have given it a fair shot.. you ate as intended, so you know the diet failed, not that you failed to do it properly.. but I think all of us have done the recommended diet correctly in the end, at some point, and were still hungry, overate, and remained overweight, because we can't control our appetite.

Which is why I recommend cutting carbs.. because they tend to be what causes cravings. Think about steak, or mayo.. you don't overeat THOSE. If you eat a huge steak by itself, you are stuffed for 10 hours, but if you add potatoes, you find yourself wanting to eat in 5-6 hours, as soon as you digest it enough to have a little room in the stomach. Not all carbs do this.. greens with olive oil & vinegar dressing ( nothing else ), and green beans.. do you ever overeat these? Do you wake in the middle of the night craving green beans? No.. of course not. It is important to note that while ice cream & pretzels are obvious bad carbs, so are corm & potatoes for most people. They cause cravings.

A vegan diet, has more carbs than a LCHF diet, but usually, they are better carbs, so it is better than the recommended diet, and FAR better than what we end up eating.

If you decide that lower carb is the way to go.. or to try ANY other way of eating, see your doctor first, explain what you want to do, possibly see a dietitian who is willing to work with you. I don't think everyone needs to eat as strict as me, but if you eat better carbs.. non-starchy veggies mostly, maybe some cheese, nuts, and berries on occasion, and cut the amount until you stop having cravings, then you can eat the proper number of calories CONSISTENTLY, and lost weight.

We may not be " thin ", but you should be able to reach a healthy weight, and at the very least , should not think of yourself as big in the way you currently do.. you may be tall, or have big bones, and be 5-10 lbs. heavier than others your height, but no one is supposed to be obese.. 20% above your ideal weight.

My overall goal is 200 lbs. lost.. 120 gone now, and 80 to go, and it's just a matter of time.. of course, if I bottom out at 165-175, I won't cry about it.. but it's where I am supposed to be according to charts.. a 360 lb. guy has no idea what he should be at the end. I just picked 200, because it sounds great.

In the end, I want the same thing as my doctor.. to be healthy, and able to maintain it for the rest of my life. We just disagree on how I do that, and 2 decades of failure, and my success since switching, argue in MY favor.

Be careful, but don't continue doing what isn't working for you. Make a plan with your medical team, and try something different.
  • jerger1
    jerger1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found 2 books by Gary Taubes really helpful. "Why We Get Fat" and "The Case For Keto". I started planning my whole Keto day ahead of time and then printing it so I can have it as my guide all day. Also, I set my food diary goals to Keto. It's early days but so far it is working.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    You can be overweight and be healthy. It all depends on what your doctor tells you about your bloodwork. You won't get the answer here,, ask him or her. But most people think being skinny is overall healthy. A lot of skinny people have heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure too. Being overweight is a common trait...but not exclusively.
  • autobahn66
    autobahn66 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    You can be overweight and be healthy. It all depends on what your doctor tells you about your bloodwork. You won't get the answer here,, ask him or her. But most people think being skinny is overall healthy. A lot of skinny people have heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure too. Being overweight is a common trait...but not exclusively.

Unless you're in the overweight BMI category due to muscle mass (which means you have spent a lot of time doing resistance work or a physically demanding job) fairly likely you won't be healthy long term. If in the obese range it is pretty much certain one won't be.

This paper examines extensively the association between BMI and mortality by a variety of causes (which I would contend is a decent, but limited, measure of health). It shows clearly a J shaped curve, with the nadir of mortality around a BMI of 21-25 (see table 2 for the 'change point' for each condition: these are generally between 24 and 26.

Interestingly the nadir of death from communicable diseases was at a higher BMI than non-communicable: I guess indicating that nutritional status going in was a determinant of outcome.

Mortality increases dramatically above a BMI of 30, but being overweight was only very marginally associated with increased mortality (best shown in supplementary table 4) for most causes and for overall mortality. In fact, being underweight was associated with much higher mortality than being overweight (although, of course that is a false equivalence as there is much less range for weight to be lower than a BMI of 18.5).

All of this is to say that using definition of overweight as per BMI is not a really very useful measurement of health, given the minor association with mortality.