Walk a Half Marathon?

Options
I was wondering if you walked a Half Marathon have fast would your mile have to be to finish in a decent time? I would hate to plan to do one and get to the finish to find everyone has gone home. Right now I walk about a 15min mile.

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I did walk a half marathon three years in a row. We were never the last and we finished between 3:15-3:30 each year. Very fun and a very long walk. Do it! You'll have fun.
  • ksmarathon2010
    Options
    I have walked more than a dozen half marathons. I train at a 15 min/mile pace and usually at the event do about 13.45 to 14 minute miles (because I have people to chase and pass). Most half marathons have a time limit of 3 and a half hours. Good luck!
  • kellymcnulty26
    Options
    Hi, I did the full Moonwalk marathon this year and 15min miles were fine, I averaged between 12 - 15min miles over the night. Good luck with the training and have fun it's well worth it .
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    they have time limits specific to the event. Go look at the one youre interested in
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    What do you consider a decent time? At a 15 minute mile, that would put you finishing at about 3 1/2 hours.
  • LeenLeGrys
    Options
    I did my first 1/2 marathon this past June in San Diego and it was great. I felt a little silly walking it, but I did it with a friend and we had so much fun! We did not train nearly enough, so our time was not great, but we just did it for the challenge and the friendship part. Go for it :) Let us know how it goes. Where is it?
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if you walked a Half Marathon have fast would your mile have to be to finish in a decent time? I would hate to plan to do one and get to the finish to find everyone has gone home. Right now I walk about a 15min mile.

I did my half at a 16:30... Find an event that has the Full and a Half, that way people will be finishing the Full when you finish the Half. I did that for my second (not intentionally) and it was a MUCH better experience. But I would encourage you to make the effort no matter what your time is. Get a buddy to walk it with you and as mentioned, chase people infront of you :wink:
  • Gwooh
    Gwooh Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I guess I will have to pick one out and see what the total time allowed is. I wasn't planning on doing one until next year. I have three 5Ks schedule for the rest of this year...we walk/run those due to my husbands ankle (donned with pins and plates) and my bad back. I have found this is the only way I keep my self on the exercise track is by planning these runs!
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to walk that much...you might really like the 60 mile walk for the cure Breast Cancer walk. Not sure where you live, but this one is in San Diego I think. I'm sure they have similar walks all over.
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Definitely do not think you would be last. I agree as far as cut offs. They are usually 3 1/2 to 4 hours if you are behind that time they will pick those people up.
  • Jenmilleroz
    Options
    Why not start with an achievable and fun 5km? That is what I am going to do this summer, plus some ocean swimming.