Premium Membership - worth it? Cost?

BCLadybug888
BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,616 Member
Hi all, I downloaded the free MFP app mid-August and really like this site, and 100 percent credit it in my loss of 30+ pounds. I wouldn't mind paying to help support the site if the fee is nominal, and am curious as to both the cost/membership options, and what you actually get in enhanced content that's actually useful. Any info appreciated. 🙏
Thanks 😊

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/premium?source=menu_bar

The details can be found here. On the app, just click on one of the pop ups for premium and youll get the same info as the link ;)
  • BCLadybug888
    Thanks, clicked the link & read the info provided. 🙏

Hmm, seems I have to click "start your 1 month free trial" in order to get any pricing information. I was hoping to find out prior as to what is the cost. $$

I do see a description of premium features, but I was wondering if the community actually loves or prizes any of those additional features and finds them worth having.❤

I know I would enjoy no ads, but I can ignore them for the most part now pretty good 😉
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    edited December 2021
    For myself, there is nothing that is necessary in premium. I have been here nearly a decade and lost 230 pounds (more than that, actually). I've been here longer than premium has existed. While there are features that are nice, as far as functionality or tracking calories or using the forums or food database, it is the same for free or premium. If you get into fine tuning or tracking macros and some detailed reporting features, that is when premium becomes more valuable.

the cost is $20 USD a month or $80 a year after the free trial month.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Thanks, clicked the link & read the info provided. 🙏

Hmm, seems I have to click "start your 1 month free trial" in order to get any pricing information. I was hoping to find out prior as to what is the cost. $$

I do see a description of premium features, but I was wondering if the community actually loves or prizes any of those additional features and finds them worth having.❤

I know I would enjoy no ads, but I can ignore them for the most part now pretty good 😉

For myself, no. They are important to people who calorie cycle for example...or people who are really into micro managing their macros by grams rather than %s (typically more advanced fitness enthusiasts/athletes). IMO, your average Joe/Jane is not likely to find premium features all that relevant to their goals and meeting their goals. It is $80 annually.

I would have only personally consider it if it used a different, cleaned up database...as it is, the point is moot since I don't log and haven't in years.
  • BCLadybug888
    Yes, I agree, a cleaned up database would be great (I am logging everything).

Thank you both for your answers; I kinda was leaning that way about the features...and $80 annually is a bit more than I was hoping - $60 annual / $5 month would likely have fit into my nominal donation criteria. As it is, I will have to think about it.

Who on earth would pay $20 monthly vs $80 annually?? Really commitment phobic folks I suppose 😆.

Thanks again 😁
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 165 Member
    Continuous user of MFP for 4 years as a basic user. It really does most of what you need and want so don’t rush in to upgrade. I have upgraded this year as I’m using a meal prep delivery service now while they’re sending me lots of discount offers. I choose the meals and see the nutrition before selecting the meals. It’s sooooo much easier for me to use the quick add for these meals and input the protein fat and carb split. My husband also uses quick add but can’t add the protein fat and carb split but yes fine with that as it’s really too bothered how those breakdown in his day. Hope that helps.
  • BCLadybug888
    @mookybargirl - it does, thanks! I have seen the quick add option but wasn't sure how it worked. If I were to use this feature, I would definitely want to be able to at least log the macronutrients as I do look at those.