Calling all rowers.....

135

Replies

  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,969 Member
    edited December 2021
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Any suggestions on mats or other solutions? Thanks much.

    Horse stall mats are cheaper than gym mats, especially if you can pick them up used on Craiglist wc I did.

    I have one for under my squat rack and one for my deadlift area.

    If you can't find them used, Tractor Supply sells them new for about [email protected] They measure 4 x6 x 3/4" and you'll need 2.

    See: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat

    if there's no Tractor Supply store near you, look for the closest horse tack and/or livestock feed & supply store that should also have or be able to order them for you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Dec. 10: RowErg, 8,190 meters; 115,009 challenge meters cumulative.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Dec. 11: BikeErg, 16,409 meters, counts as 8,205 challenge meters. 123,214 meters cumulative.

    Rest day tomorrow.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,111 Member
    edited December 2021
    16150 today. Programmed 18K but that was a bit too aggressive. Tired -- wife and I went to a concert (all masked and vaccination required -- we're done with the protocol now for over a week of isolation -- both feeling good). Good for as tired as I was staying up late.


    69,455 cumulative. Surprisingly, still got a shot at 200K if I can do a good long Sunday next week as well. This put me back to under a 12K average (at my current 6 day a week plan).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,148 Member
    10,000 m today, hit 103,714 with 10 days to go. I'll have to step it up a bit if I'm going to make 200,000 m.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,148 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Question for all you rowers. My son bought a water rower and has it in his garage gym on the concrete floor. He's having trouble with it moving on him as he rows (he's 6'3", about 225 lbs. so generating some force). He been trying to put some weight plates on/around it to keep it from moving but is looking for a mat he could use. He'd need one about 8'x3'.

    Any suggestions on mats or other solutions? Thanks much.

    Another vote for a horse stall mat, I use one in my garage for deadlifting.
  • SomeMFPuser
    SomeMFPuser Posts: 53 Member
    Assuming nothing unexpected comes up, should hit the 200k mark tomorrow.

    Next goal is 8 million meters by 12/31. If things go according to plan, it should be end of this week.

    11/25 - 15,030
    11/26 - 15,548
    11/27 - 15,061
    11/28 - 15,115
    11/29 - 15,031
    11/30 - 12,154
    12/01 - 15,020
    12/02 - 10,137
    12/04 - 13,016
    12/06 - 6,023
    12/07 - 15,081
    12/08 - 10,146
    12/09 - 16,060
    12/10 - 8,135
    12/13 - 15,483

    Total: 197,040
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,111 Member
    @SomeMFPuser -- great milestones and nice work!

    12577 today for me.

    82,032 cumulative.

  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 24,799 Member
    @SomeMFPuser, inspiring records!

    Dec. 13: RowErg, 8,159 meters; 131,373 challenge meters cumulative.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,270 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Question for all you rowers. My son bought a water rower and has it in his garage gym on the concrete floor. He's having trouble with it moving on him as he rows (he's 6'3", about 225 lbs. so generating some force). He been trying to put some weight plates on/around it to keep it from moving but is looking for a mat he could use. He'd need one about 8'x3'.

    Any suggestions on mats or other solutions? Thanks much.

    Some people use stall mats that are intended for barn stalls, for horse or other domestic barn stock. As you can imagine, they're quite tough, but may be more expensive than the gym-type options.

    I can't quite prevent myself saying this, though: Partly, this is a technique problem. Think about it: If the machine moves across the floor, the person is spending effort/generating power that isn't going into the flywheel or water tank. That's a speed sacrifice. It's not inevitable just because someone is big/strong.

    Yes, it's more likely to happen with bigger guys, partly just from that mass moving around. It's also more likely to happen with bigger guys because they're used to relying on raw strength to achieve things, rather than tweaky-twiddling with annoyingly detailed aspects of technique. This is a common concept across a variety of sports. I'm sure it's partly myth, but from watching a big ol' boatload of rowers over the years (pun intended), I think there's an element of truth in it, statistically speaking.

    It wouldn't be easy in a garage, but the college erg room where I used to work out had blocks on the floor (nailed or screwed to a wood gym-type floor), to get around this happening until the women refined their skills enough to get the power into the flywheel (they had C2s). (These are big women, can be 6' and over themselves.)

    Thanks, I mentioned the form thing to my son. He has managed an Orange Theory location (which of course uses rowers) and took their instructor training so he's fairly sure it's not a form issue but he'll revisit.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,270 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Any suggestions on mats or other solutions? Thanks much.

    Horse stall mats are cheaper than gym mats, especially if you can pick them up used on Craiglist wc I did.

    I have one for under my squat rack and one for my deadlift area.

    If you can't find them used, Tractor Supply sells them new for about [email protected] They measure 4 x6 x 3/4" and you'll need 2.

    See: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat

    if there's no Tractor Supply store near you, look for the closest horse tack and/or livestock feed & supply store that should also have or be able to order them for you.

    Have thought about the stall mats, are they easy to cut? Based on his available area he really doesn't want longer than 9 ft? No shortage of Tractor Supply and similar where I'm at or within 30 miles of his city. Actually there's a crossfit gym selling some near me but they are the standard 6 ft.
  • SomeMFPuser
    SomeMFPuser Posts: 53 Member
    200K completed. Now that the challenge has been met, I will stop posting my numbers.

    Pushing on to my personal goal of 8 million by 12/31. Hopefully 5 or 6 more rows so I anticipate making it assuming no issues come up.

    11/25 - 15,030
    11/26 - 15,548
    11/27 - 15,061
    11/28 - 15,115
    11/29 - 15,031
    11/30 - 12,154
    12/01 - 15,020
    12/02 - 10,137
    12/04 - 13,016
    12/06 - 6,023
    12/07 - 15,081
    12/08 - 10,146
    12/09 - 16,060
    12/10 - 8,135
    12/13 - 15,483
    12/14 - 15,116

    Total: 212,156
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,969 Member
    edited December 2021
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Any suggestions on mats or other solutions? Thanks much.

    Horse stall mats are cheaper than gym mats, especially if you can pick them up used on Craiglist wc I did.

    I have one for under my squat rack and one for my deadlift area.

    If you can't find them used, Tractor Supply sells them new for about [email protected] They measure 4 x6 x 3/4" and you'll need 2.

    See: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat

    if there's no Tractor Supply store near you, look for the closest horse tack and/or livestock feed & supply store that should also have or be able to order them for you.

    Have thought about the stall mats, are they easy to cut? Based on his available area he really doesn't want longer than 9 ft? No shortage of Tractor Supply and similar where I'm at or within 30 miles of his city. Actually there's a crossfit gym selling some near me but they are the standard 6 ft.

    They are very thick/tough and are NOT easily cut w/a knife (or even a handsaw) but it should not be a problem w/a rotary cut off tool w/the proper cutting disk (which if you don't have one already, can be cheaply purchased at Harbor Freight) but you may have to experiment w/different cutting disks to find the one that works best.

    See: https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-high-speed-electric-cut-off-tool-63023.html

    I've got one of these that I purchased for a project long ago (along w/a variety of cutting disks) and it still comes in handy from time to time.

    PS: A circular saw w/a cross-cut blade might work too.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,969 Member
    edited December 2021
    Dup deleted.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,111 Member
    13428 today.

    95460 cumulative

  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,270 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Any suggestions on mats or other solutions? Thanks much.

    Horse stall mats are cheaper than gym mats, especially if you can pick them up used on Craiglist wc I did.

    I have one for under my squat rack and one for my deadlift area.

    If you can't find them used, Tractor Supply sells them new for about [email protected] They measure 4 x6 x 3/4" and you'll need 2.

    See: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat

    if there's no Tractor Supply store near you, look for the closest horse tack and/or livestock feed & supply store that should also have or be able to order them for you.

    Have thought about the stall mats, are they easy to cut? Based on his available area he really doesn't want longer than 9 ft? No shortage of Tractor Supply and similar where I'm at or within 30 miles of his city. Actually there's a crossfit gym selling some near me but they are the standard 6 ft.

    They are very thick/tough and are NOT easily cut w/a knife (or even a handsaw) but it should not be a problem w/a rotary cut off tool w/the proper cutting disk (which if you don't have one already, can be cheaply purchased at Harbor Freight) but you may have to experiment w/different cutting disks to find the one that works best.

    See: https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-high-speed-electric-cut-off-tool-63023.html

    I've got one of these that I purchased for a project long ago (along w/a variety of cutting disks) and it still comes in handy from time to time.

    PS: A circular saw w/a cross-cut blade might work too.

    Thanks much.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Dec. 14: BikeErg, 16,396 meters, counts as 8,198 challenge meters. 139,571 meters cumulative.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,111 Member
    11612 today at lunch. Went from thinking there's no way I'll get 200K in to "hey, I might be able to take X-mas Eve off!".

    107072 cumulative
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Dec. 13: RowErg, 8,180 meters; 147,751 challenge meters cumulative.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,969 Member
    edited December 2021
    11612 today at lunch. Went from thinking there's no way I'll get 200K in to "hey, I might be able to take X-mas Eve off!".

    107072 cumulative

    Congrats!

    As I recall, you were trying to do "catch up" to get to 200k. So, I feel your "pain." ;)

    FWIW, it's not hard for me to do 200k meters in a month if I row consistently but "catch up" is a b*tch!

    I always row at least 200k meters during each month long challenge just by doing 10k meters/day, 5 days/wk but when I miss a day (or have to row extra to take a day off), I really dread doing the 15-20k make up sessions which are (for me) literally a PITA that I have to push myself to do. Definitely no "fun."

    Cumulative for the challenge is 150k so far and still on schedule to do 210k by the 24th.