HRM accuracy challenge

Options
To all you HRM fans.

Curious. If you are up for this. Wear your HRM for one entire normal day. Not an exercise day. Just a normal hanging around day.

If they are accurate, it should show you around 2K calories, give or take a few hundred (or more, or less) which you can figure out depending on your body type.

If it shows your burned 5000 calories, then throw it away.

Replies

• cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to try this as I don't think my HRM is very accurate ( one day it said I burnt 150 calories for a 45 mins cardio intense workout). I am on a long weekend break and so I will try this out next week and let you know.
    The results could be quite interesting!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not designed to be worn 24 hours a day. Whether or not the number you get approximates ones normal TEE would be just be a matter of random chance and have nothing to do with the accuracy of the HRM. It would like trying to use a stopwatch to test the accuracy of an oven thermometer.
  • RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not designed to be worn 24 hours a day. Whether or not the number you get approximates ones normal TEE would be just be a matter of random chance and have nothing to do with the accuracy of the HRM. It would like trying to use a stopwatch to test the accuracy of an oven thermometer.

If it's accurate for 20 minutes of running. It should be accurate for 24 hours of sitting, walking, and sleeping. And if it ends up being random chance, then they were never accurate to begin with.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Im assuming it would be maybe double your bmr..
    So for me it would be like 2,600...
    If i had a hrm i would definitely give it a go!