Cheat days and pregnancy

Options
A lot of people seem to be very against cheat days in these forums (my opinion is different things work for everyone and if having a cheat day ones a month means you can stick to something long term and get results then great or if you are someone that would rather just spread things into your every day allowance that’s great too, what ever works for you) and for me generally a cheat day doesn’t mean a license to binge, it’s just a day of making healthy choices but a day off having to work out the calories in everything, I don’t have set times I schedule them but more so have one when I feel like I’ve done well at keeping on track for a decent period of time or for a special occasion. But I am feeling like during pregnancy I definitely need a few more of these days than I normally would..

I guess this isn’t really a question, I’m just interested to know what works for other people and what changes (if any) they’ve made whilst pregnant.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I personally do not track calories during pregnancy That works for me and my weight gain has been on point. I don't consider not tracking cheating but you have to do what works for you.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Doesn’t really matter what others think or do. It’s not a good idea to lose weight during pregnancy.
    It may matter for yours, and your babys health. Check with your OB/GYN.

I never mentioned anything about trying to loose weight whilst pregnant. I use mfp still to keep myself on track with healthy eating :)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    That’s good that you are not trying to lose weight. Does your doctor advise you to eat a certain amount of calories?
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Unless you’re obese and your doctor has you on a special diet I would just eat whatever your body asks for within reason and healthy the rest of the time.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    I just saw in another thread that you have GD. Definitely listen to your doctor if they want you to keep track of carbs and your intake.
  • ebony__
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I just saw in another thread that you have GD. Definitely listen to your doctor if they want you to keep track of carbs and your intake.

Yes, started tracking before my diagnosis just to set healthy habits, so I haven’t had to change anything so far in regards to GD other than testing after meals. my Ob and team are happy with me eating what feels right for me if all my number look good :)
  • sardelsa
    Options
    ebony__ wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

Yes, started tracking before my diagnosis just to set healthy habits, so I haven’t had to change anything so far in regards to GD other than testing after meals. my Ob and team are happy with me eating what feels right for me if all my number look good :)

That's great, then I would continue what you are doing. Good luck!
  • ebony__
    Options
    My Dr is more concerned about my BGL than my overall calories, but I like to keep track roughly, because my hormones definitely have a habit of trying to lead me astray haha
  • emmaclarksgt
    emmaclarksgt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Losing weight during pregnancy is not the best idea. You just need to stick to proper nutrition.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Losing weight during pregnancy is not the best idea. You just need to stick to proper nutrition.

The OP hasn't been on MFP since August 2019. She won't be reading your message.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    If you have no health conditions then I see no reason why you can’t indulge a little. Pregnant is not a license to eat whatever, whenever though because too much weight gain isn’t healthy either.

During my recent pregnancy, I had gestational diabetes and had to be careful what I ate and when. I was rarely hungry during my pregnancy though. The only two things I craved were fruit and coffee so I ate blueberries every day and one latte a day. At my baby shower I ate some pasta and tiramisu, but a small portion and my glucose was fine that day too.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't think people are against "cheat days"...more like many of us don't really refer to them that way. Many of us look at our nutrition in the context of the whole, not the minutia of a particular food or one particular meal. I eat pretty well much of the time...I also indulge in pizza most Friday nights...a nice big brunch on some Sundays...a night out for New Mexican food or pub grub. In the context of my diet as a whole these things aren't particularly material to my overall nutrition and I don't think of it as "cheating" on anything. I just think of it as having pizza or whatever.

exactly.

I eat what I want. I make it fit. If Im over, im over. it doesnt happen often, so its not a big deal. ig i am eating out, I generally know I will be, and plan for it with what I eat the REST of the day.
  • emmaclarksgt
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't think people are against "cheat days"...more like many of us don't really refer to them that way. Many of us look at our nutrition in the context of the whole, not the minutia of a particular food or one particular meal. I eat pretty well much of the time...I also indulge in pizza most Friday nights...a nice big brunch on some Sundays...a night out for New Mexican food or pub grub. In the context of my diet as a whole these things aren't particularly material to my overall nutrition and I don't think of it as "cheating" on anything. I just think of it as having pizza or whatever.

There's definitely something in it.
  • emmaclarksgt
    Options
    In any case, I think that losing weight during pregnancy is not the best idea. It is better to do this before pregnancy when there is no risk of harming the child. During pregnancy, proper nutrition is appropriate. It's not the same thing at all. More information about this can be found in https://mother.com/healthy-eating-tips-kids-moms/ blog.
    Throughout my pregnancy, I followed the advice on proper nutrition and tried not to eat harmful foods. I did this in order not to gain a lot of excess weight. I think everyone knows that it's not very cool. I did yoga and ate a lot of fruits and vegetables. Surprisingly, my skin has become very good quality.
    So, moms don't get carried away with cheat days.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I believe in doing whatever works for the individual. I loathe the terminology though... who are you cheating?