Introducing myself

Options
Hi MFP! I'm Theo. I'm 33, nonbinary, and about to have chest reconstruction surgery in 1 month. I've tried a bunch of other health apps, but they all seem to be about gimmicks instead of health. My goals are to be the healthiest I can in the weeks leading up to my surgery, stay on track during my recovery, and building my health and strength back up once I'm recovered. I'm full of hope for how things will be for more post-surgery, but right now I have an incredibly difficult time treating my body with a balance of respect and discipline. I'm hoping MFP will help me keep accountable and steady.

I don't know how many other transgender or nonbinary folks there are here, but I've seen lots of caring people from all backgrounds giving good advice in the forums, so I hope you'll accept and welcome me. :)

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Hi Theo, welcome to MFP! While I'm personally not NB or trans, I am the proud parent of a NB youth and a big LGBT+ supporter overall. If you are so inclined, feel free to shoot me a friend request. Regardless, best wishes to you & I hope the surgery goes great!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck on your journey!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    We’re all here with a shared goal of losing and keeping it off.

Anything else is just not relevant, ya know?

😘
  • avtlove
    avtlove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you're human, you're welcome here. Good luck on your journey~!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Hi, Theo, and welcome! I know there are other trans and nonbinary folks here, but I'm not sure of user IDs or I'd tag some. I cheer for anyone seeking his/her/their best self, most fulfilled self.

MFP can be a great tool for improving nutrition, and the Community is very supportive when it comes to encouraging different forms of exercise activity and providing advice. I hope that can help you!

I have to say, I have many friends who've had chest reconstruction surgery, but only one is trans. (I'm a breast cancer survivor, myself had . . . chest deconstruction surgery? . . . but no reconstruction. I'm flat.) Most of the folks I know have had implants, most of them cis women post-mastectomy, and they've done very well. That surgery went well for my trans friend, too. I hope it'll go very well for you, too - I think there should be good expectations.

Wishing you all the best, as you pursue your goals!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Afterthought: Have you checked out the Groups part of the Community, as a source of connections to people on similar life paths? There are various trans or LGBTQ+ groups, some look inactive, but here's an example of one that's had recent posts:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/22-lgbt

I'm not trying to send you away from the general Community, far from it, but saw that you had a post over in Motivation and Support looking for nonbinary/trans fitness buddies, and I think some of the folks in that group would potentially be good candidates (at least one of them is in my MFP friend list).
  • itstheo43
    itstheo43 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks @AnnPT77 ! I'll check it out! Appreciate the tip!