Looking for members who lost weight despite gout or kidney stones...

Options
Alex
Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
Our PR firm is hoping to speak to someone who has had success despite living with gout or having kidney stones. If this is you or someone you know, please reply to let us know and we will follow up with you. Thanks!

Replies

• justanotherloser007
    Options
    I think it is funny someone disagreed with you :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I have gout and lost 40 Lbs at the end of 2012 through late spring 2013. I more or less maintained that until COVID and lockdowns hit. In the process of dropping 20 Lbs I put on in 2020 and 2021.
  • asuzanne7829
    asuzanne7829 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Need to follow a low potassium diet. Need help with potassium content in foods
  • autobahn66
    autobahn66 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would go further and say I lost weight because of gout.

My diagnosis helped me realise that it was necessary to change my behaviours: both to prevent flares, but also for my long-term health.

Down 20kg since July, but also so much fitter: running 5-10k three times a week and - best of all - no flares of joint pain for several months!

Still have a long way to go, but working consistently toward my goals at the moment!
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what having kidney stones or gout would have to do with losing weight. I'm wondering if this is actually just a way to get people for you to send either health spam to or to try to get them to purchase stuff from you. People, I'd be very wary of anything you say here. Be safe, not sorry!
  • Alex
    Options
    poisonesse wrote: »
    I'm not sure what having kidney stones or gout would have to do with losing weight. I'm wondering if this is actually just a way to get people for you to send either health spam to or to try to get them to purchase stuff from you. People, I'd be very wary of anything you say here. Be safe, not sorry!

Hi! I understand your caution, just dropping in to say our intentions here are just as stated. It is not uncommon for some press outlets to really want to focus on a specific element of health and fitness. We will not be trying to sell anyone posting here anything.
  • Alex
    Options
    autobahn66 wrote: »
    I would go further and say I lost weight because of gout.

My diagnosis helped me realise that it was necessary to change my behaviours: both to prevent flares, but also for my long-term health.

Down 20kg since July, but also so much fitter: running 5-10k three times a week and - best of all - no flares of joint pain for several months!

Still have a long way to go, but working consistently toward my goals at the moment!

Thank you so much for sharing! Sending you a PM to follow up.
  • Alex
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I have gout and lost 40 Lbs at the end of 2012 through late spring 2013. I more or less maintained that until COVID and lockdowns hit. In the process of dropping 20 Lbs I put on in 2020 and 2021.

Thank you! Sending you a PM to follow up.
  • dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, a topic I have a lot of experience in. I don't want a follow up, but I'll tell you my anecdotal story.

In my 30s I was putting on weight and pushing around 315lbs when I developed gout for the first time. It was horrific, at first no one knew what it was despite multiple trips to doctors and the ER.

Eventually when we figured it out, a Doctor prescribed cochicine, and the flare up from hell went away.

From that day forward any time I was dehydrated, or lost weight too quickly, the gout in my foot would flare up again.

I eventually got down to a healthy BMI of 25. Even though I have put weight back on (and taken it off again) since then, I very rarely encounter gout, and when I do it is very mild.

I have read that it's possible that fat cells can hold on to toxins, including uric acid, so that's my theory of why weight loss would cause such painful flare ups if I lost too much too fast.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!