Work out time

Options
I just started to do vigorous working out this week, and I wanted to know; do you get results quicker by working out for longer? I have a tendency to want to go to the gym for 30 minute intervals and doing vigorous exercise than to stay there for an hour. Is this tendency going to hold me back? If so, do I need to work my way up to staying for an hour?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    For weight loss it is the caloric deficit that matters, not the time in the gym. That being said, I only go to the gym 4-5 days/week for 30 minutes at a time, but I workout hard the full time I am there.
  • KnittingKnadine
    Options
    My trainer says it is better to do longer workouts of at least an hour, longer if I can. I haven't done any more digging into if that is correct. But I know I feel like I've gotten more of a workout if I stay for an hour vs. half an hour.
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but I totaly hear ya!
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I think what matters most is that you go at ALL. Try going for 30 minutes. A short time is better than none :-) If your weight loss slows down or is stubborn, try going longer. I just think that there's no need to reinvent the wheel, especially when you're just starting out.
  • Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I had trouble getting to the gym at all so I did eventually find some programs that I could commit to at home when everyone went to bed and I could work out as long as I wanted or need to.
  • bravesfan
    Options
    Hi Im wendy I suggest listen to your body do what feels right work up to an hour. if u belong to a gym find a class that sounds like fun to you. i found ZUMBA inwhich i love ,i do it twice a week. i joined a gym because i am home all day and it keeps away from the fridge.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Here's a link to an extremely informative approach to exercise: Peak Fitness. You're young enough to undertake this type of a workout. Me, I'm slowly working my way towards being able to do this, but, eventually, I want to try it.

Dr. Josheph Mercola offers some of the best advice for optimum health and fitness. I wish someone would have told me about him years ago.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/07/27/the-growing-promise-of-shorter-more-intense-strength-training-workouts.aspx

Best wishes!
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    There are studies to back just about any workout program you could imagine. some say working out longer is best, others say spurts of 10 minutes 3-6 times a day works just as well. So do what YOU feel works for you and tweak in order to see results if you have to.

I personally find longer workouts work for me, but I'm also focusing on heart health at this point and building that up and getting some endurance AND with a toddler at home, fitting workouts in is hard enough, trying to fit shorter ones in more often wouldn't work for me. But just like what time you should workout, you just have to do what works for you. getting up at 5am would NOT ever happen, but I know people who do it and have great success!
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    What was your activity level prior to starting "working out harder?" My main concern, especially if you were inactive or only underwent moderate work-outs, would be injury. After that, it would be diminished returns from soreness and overexertion - if you hit it too hard today, will you not go back tomorrow? If you're looking at a life-long involvement with healthy physical activity (and the long-term health benefits that brings), there's nothing wrong with building up gradually. You're more likely to stay with it if you build yourself up than if you burn yourself out.

+1 to the caloric deficit answer. If weight loss is your goal, this is what matters. A short, intense workout can burn as many calories as a longer, lower-intensity workout... but if you eat everything you burn, you don't realize weight loss.

Duration is really secondary to intensity. Especially in terms of cardio and anerobic activity.
  • gsenriquez
    gsenriquez Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It really is up to you. Take small steps. If you want to do 30 min, do that. You do not want to fail early on just because you will eventually hate working out for an hour or more than an hour. Start with what you can do. Everyone's answer will be different, but it is your body...try working out 30 min and do it for a month or a few weeks...you don't see any improvements then you change your game plan.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I started doing longer workouts of an hour or more and had great results and i've done HIIT 3 x a week for a total of 38 mins at a time and had great results, currently I am doin a mix of each and am having great results as well so I dont think it matters a whole lot just as long as your eating appropriatly for the workouts your doing.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    What was your activity level prior to starting "working out harder?" My main concern, especially if you were inactive or only underwent moderate work-outs, would be injury. After that, it would be diminished returns from soreness and overexertion - if you hit it too hard today, will you not go back tomorrow? If you're looking at a life-long involvement with healthy physical activity (and the long-term health benefits that brings), there's nothing wrong with building up gradually. You're more likely to stay with it if you build yourself up than if you burn yourself out.

+1 to the caloric deficit answer. If weight loss is your goal, this is what matters. A short, intense workout can burn as many calories as a longer, lower-intensity workout... but if you eat everything you burn, you don't realize weight loss.

Duration is really secondary to intensity. Especially in terms of cardio and anerobic activity.

for me, I didn't used to go to the gym at all. I'm a college student, and I don't have a car, so I walk everywhere. That worked for a year, and then I went into a depression and gained weight like crazy. And, I don't have to worry about not wanting to go, I .have a friend who goes with me and there is no way that she would let me take one day off. Currently I'm going to the gym for 30 minutes, 7 days a week.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    for me, I didn't used to go to the gym at all. I'm a college student, and I don't have a car, so I walk everywhere. That worked for a year, and then I went into a depression and gained weight like crazy. And, I don't have to worry about not wanting to go, I .have a friend who goes with me and there is no way that she would let me take one day off. Currently I'm going to the gym for 30 minutes, 7 days a week.
    ///fixed

OK. First off, talk to your friend about building in rest days. Muscles need to recover or injuries occur, period. This is especially relevant if you're planning on increasing duration or intensity. The commitment is admirable, but you don't want it to become counter-productive.

You can do a lot in 30min... maybe describe a typical workout or give a couple examples, and then share how much longer you plan to work out and what you plan to fill the additional time with. Does your workout partner plan the daily activities, or do you? Is it a scripted workout, or "hey, that machine is open..."? Are you attending classes with instructors? Using personal trainers? Weightroom? Cardio machines? Rock climbing?

Maybe also share some of your goals... general weight loss and appearance? Outdoor activities (biking, hiking, etc...)? Start playing informal athletics like intramurals? Future fitness competitor / marathoner / bikini model? It's probably easier to gauge whether changes to your workout will be effective if the board has an idea where you want it to take you.