First day!

Its my very first day of really dieting! I'm doing pretty well so far, any tips to help me get through the first week would be great!

Replies

• ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Just keep logging! And get as many friends on here as possible! Motivation is where it is at, and there are tons of awesome people on here who will keep you going, even on your worst days. Add me as a friend if you like, and we can keep each other motivated!
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Don't go into it thinking you're going to completely do away with any foods you like. You've just got to maybe cut back on the bad stuff, and be willing to work it off if you splurge a little. If you go into it thinking that you can't eat something you love, you won't last 2 weeks. I love BBQ and pizza, I still have it sometimes but I might exercise a little extra on those days or have less of it.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Welcome!
  • Yes, I agree! The best part of this will be being able to record everything, so I can open my eyes and see just what I'm taking in! Thanks for the tip!
  • cwojo
    cwojo Posts: 156 Member
    Post everything that goes into your mouth. That is so important to know where you are at when it comes to calories. Get at least 30 minutes of some type of workout in. You don't have to go to a gym for this. Lastly, get as many friends as you can here for suport. If you want you can add me.:smile:
  • Don't get discouraged. There is a distinct possibility you will eat something you shouldn't or go over your calories. It isn't the end of the world. Dieting is not a world of black and white. Have an off moment (or day) doesn't mean you are finished and should just quit. Enjoy the hell out of that cupcake and maybe eat some carrot sticks for your next snack.
  • geco22
    geco22 Posts: 29 Member
    It's really different for everyone but I have found that just counting my calories has made dieting much easier for me than it ever has been before. But I think some good general rules are having healthy snacks available for when you do get hungry, planning your meals, and not going so long between eating that you are tempted to eat something that is quick and easy but also unhealthy. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water, I know the site recommends 8 cups a day, but that can take a little bit to work up to. And not everyone needs that much water, I'm usually around 5 or 6 cups on a non-workout day and then 9 or 10 when I do a hard workout, it will fluctuate a bit. I also need to allow myself at least one small treat a day - it's usually my coffee with flavored creamer in the morning or some small, low calorie desert at night. I think allowing myself the small cheat makes it feel less restrictive. You'll probably be giving up something you really love like pizza or fried chicken, but it's worth it!
  • hockeyd11
    hockeyd11 Posts: 92 Member
    Always log your food! It makes you feel more accountable for what you are eating. I started out feeling like I was going to be dieting but in fact I don't call it that anymore. It's more of a lifestyle change. I don't deprive myself of certain things but eat things more in moderation now because I know I only have a certain number of calories I can consume. I feel like I just make better food choices now because of this site. It's been great and I have been successful! I started this whole thing when I found this site mid-July and I'm down 27 pounds. And yes, having friends on here is great to keep you motivated and even join groups that have the same goals or are doing the same workouts as you.