Questions: Beginning Hunger Issues & Nutrition

Options
KiyaK
KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
I'm new to this whole calorie counting thing. I just started on Tuesday (it's now Friday). For the first week, is it normal to feel REALLY hungry before each meal/snack? The first day I joined the site, I just recorded what I ate that day (pretty typical for me) & I was over by about 700 calories, but I also didn't work out that day. Could eliminating those 700 calories make THAT much of a difference in my hunger?

For the first two days, I did not realize I should be eating my exercise calories, so it makes sense why I would have been hungry those days. But yesterday I ate those caloies and still feel hungry today!

Also, how do you manage calories when you are not the cook? This weekend I'm eating dinner at my parents' house and spending a day at the state fair. I still don't know approximate calorie values or portions sizes of foods off the top of my head, and I'm afraid of completely over-shooting my calorie limit for the weekend... Help!

Replies

• ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Make your food diary visible so we can see what you're eating and give suggestions.
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    In general, when you begin to eat less you will feel hungrier than younormally do. This could be a myth, but I believe your stomach literally shrinks and starts to hold less food as you eat less. This is why some people can eat sooo much more than others! I notice I get fuller with less food after I stick to eating less for a while.

With recording calories when you're not the cook- use your palm as a "cup" with guessing how much youre eating. Just estimate and search on MFP for what you're eating- it's probably on there! Even if you aren't eating exactly what you found on MFP, an estimate is better than not knowing at all, at least for me!

Good luck, you can do it!!
  • jlowensby
    Options
    are you eating small meals every 3-4 hours making it a total of 6 meals a day?? This may help you out! And before eating out or at someones house I always eat some fruit or nuts before going. And be sure to drink lots of water!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    It take a few weeks to get used to the change you will be fine
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It does take awhile for your body to adjust to the different portions sizes and less food in general. Give it a couple of weeks and it should get better. A couple of tips are drinking plenty of water to keep your stomach full, keep yourself busy so that your mind isnt on food all the time and try to eat foods that have a lot of fiber and arent very calories dense so that you're getting more food for the same calories.

As far as making weekend plans there are a few things I've done to try and keep myself on track:
    Most often if I'm going out to dinner I'll eat the best i can while I'm at home and then just enjoy myself but try to make the best choices about what's offered. If I'm really worried about it, I'll exercise in the a.m. to give myself a little wiggle room. We are having the fair here next weekend and I'm just going to enjoy myself and have fun. I love to eat , so I will be having curly fries and a deep fried snickers bar lol and whatever else my heart desires and I'll be back to normal the next day. A big part of it is to remember that the gain you see on the scale the next day is just water weight!

Good luck on your journey!
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Double post sorry
  • fuminator18
    fuminator18 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You have to realize everybody is different. I've been doing this over 100 days now, lost about 13lb and reached my goal but i sitll have 'hungery day. That is the issue you will be adjusting to for the rest of your life, i think. Depending on what you eat, what you put in your body, (for me female issue also have alot to do with being hungry), etc.
    At this point, since you just started this and facing big weekend, I would just try to eat half of the meal, if you can. As to State fair, i went one of those this summer. I googled and found out ahead of time what the common foods at fair will cost me calorie wise. So i picked and chose what I ate. But really, you got to take one step at a time when you start weight loss. I started and stopped for a while and re-started. It takes time to get used to. Learn from others and you will be fine!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    In general, when you begin to eat less you will feel hungrier than younormally do. This could be a myth, but I believe your stomach literally shrinks and starts to hold less food as you eat less. This is why some people can eat sooo much more than others! I notice I get fuller with less food after I stick to eating less for a while.

With recording calories when you're not the cook- use your palm as a "cup" with guessing how much youre eating. Just estimate and search on MFP for what you're eating- it's probably on there! Even if you aren't eating exactly what you found on MFP, an estimate is better than not knowing at all, at least for me!

Good luck, you can do it!!

On the shrinking, you are correct.
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    Try and eat 5 mini meals each day and will help both to process and feel less hungry if you combine a protein with a carb when eating. I feel the carb ratios on here are far too high in comparison to the proteins so I always have my people change the settings to get in enough protein. Complex carbs are necessary to make sure you have enough energy as well. I also found something that worked for me and many others that curbs my cravings and less hungry & leaves me feeling energetic, yet is natural. Best to you!

P.S..often times when you think your hungry it is really your body is really telling you it is thirsty so drink loads of water! For some calorie free tips and food for thought feel free all of you to friend me! Have a fit-tabulous Friday! Colleen
  • KelieHerrera
    Options
    I felt really, really hungry at first, all the time. I was so used to eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, which included eating for flavor and not nutrition, eating out of boredom, mindless eating in front of the TV, etc. I believe a lot of my hunger was psychological from those behavior patterns that were ingrained in me for so many years.

I've been on MFP since July and feeling great now. It took about a month for me to stop having those hunger pangs (some real, some psychological, kind of like Pavlov's dog...the TV is on..I need a snack) and I don't have as many cravings for sweets and carbs anymore, either. It gets a lot easier the more you stick to your plan. That's not to say you CAN'T indulge once in awhile, just know your limits.

As far as not being in control of what you're served, you'll get the hang of it. You'll start to know which foods are higher calorie and which ones give you more bang for your buck. Don't stress about not getting it perfect just starting out, just do your best and learn along the way!
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    A couple things to help.

1 oz of meat or cheese is roughly about the size of a dice(di?)
    4 oz of meat is roughly the size & thickness of a regular sized deck of playing cards

This has helped me so very much in counting calories.

Also when you get to your parents house choose one decent sized bowl to eat you sides out of.... pour 1 cup water in the bowl to see how much it fills... this gives you a reasonable idea of how much pasta or rice you're eating :)

Hope this helps!
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Double post sorry :flowerforyou:
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this whole calorie counting thing. I just started on Tuesday (it's now Friday). For the first week, is it normal to feel REALLY hungry before each meal/snack? The first day I joined the site, I just recorded what I ate that day (pretty typical for me) & I was over by about 700 calories, but I also didn't work out that day. Could eliminating those 700 calories make THAT much of a difference in my hunger?

Yes, dropping 700 calories from what you normally eat is a lot and you will definitely feel it. Think about it, your probably cut 1/3 of your daily calories out. And the next day when you worked out, you probably burned an extra 300 calories, and created a 1000 calorie deficit - which is probably 50% less than what your body was used to. I find eating 5 times a day to be helpful, mainly for psychological reasons - because I know that the next meal is right around the corner I find it easier to tolerate the hunger knowing it is short term.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    700 calories could absolutely make a big difference! You may need to look into changing the types of foods you're eating to get more bang for your buck. More lean protein, more fiber and healthy fats can help with staying full longer. Also make sure you're drinking plenty of water as sometimes the body signals hunger when it's actually just starting to get dehydrated.

For this weekend, just do the best you can. Make the best food choices you're able to and guesstimate on servings so that you can continue to log. Even if you're off by a few hundred calories, it won't make a huge difference when you're only talking about a day or two every once in a while. And try to get some extra exercise in if you can to make up the difference.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses. They are SO helpful. I feel a lot more comfortable about this weekend :)

One other question for people who are suggesting to eat protien & fiber together. What sort of things have fiber in them? Fruits and veggies, right? Are there other things as well?
  • surfinbernard
    Options
    YEs you will feel hungry if you normally eat more, try to choose the most filling foods for your calorie budget and avoid anything which is rapidly digested such as 'white' or sugary carbs because they cause more hunger shortly after eating them and a tendency to crave more. I often have a hot drink to stave off a hunger pang or make me feel fuller after a smaller meal. I am on 1200 cals though and try to stay under my limit so I have had a few very hungry days. Your appetite will eventually reset itself to match your calorie consumption to some extent although if you eat 'extras' when you're not really hungry this will eat into calories you need to fill up when you are so you will need to find strategies for dealing with cravings, these are things we are all tackling here on MFP!