Hello LETS DO THIS

Hello im excited to get back on track and start tracking what goes in my body. I am on a mission to loos weight the healthy way. Does anyone here do any type of long term fasting 🤔? Im trying to figure out what exercises is good when I'm doing my 3 day fast.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    How do you expect to have any energy to workout if you are not eating?
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Where is the overlap between "the healthy way" and starving yourself for 3 days?

No, I've never done any sort of long-term fast and have no plans to do so. I actually need to fuel my body for the exercise I do and, quite literally, food is fuel. I can lose weight in a way that is ACTUALLY healthy by consuming calories in an appropriate quantity for my goals and activity level.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,734 Member
    To complement the more direct replies above :wink: :
    What do you hope to accomplish by fasting for 3 days? For weight loss, all that is needed is to be in a calorie deficit (burning more calories than you consume). A 3-day fast is quite a drastic way to accomplish that goal. Especially if you intend to do this regularly, not just a one-time thing.
    Also: it's not guaranteed to result in a calorie deficit, if you consume excessive amounts of food on the days when you're not fasting. (And fasting for that long might well make you lose control a bit from the deprivation)
    Combining long fasting and exercise seems like an even worse idea healthwise.
    And finally: fasting that long will give you very wild weight swings: you will lose a lot of weight in those 3 days, but a lot of that will be lost water weight and less food waste in your digestive tract, which will promptly return when you consume food again.

I would suggest you choose a less extreme approach to weight loss. For example setting up your MFP account and choosing a moderate rate of loss (0.5 to maximum 1% of your bodyweight per week). And simply sticking to that calorie goal. You don't have to eat any particular foods, or avoid any particular foods: you can just eat the foods you're used in more appropriate quantities/proportions and, if you feel it's necessary, make gradual tweaks to, for example, improve satiation.
    If the idea of fasting interests you, you might consider intermittent fasting. For example 18-6 (18 hours of fasting per day, and a 6hr eating window) or OMAD (one meal a day). This is purely optional: as I said, all you need is a calorie deficit, but intermittent fasting does help some people stick to their calorie goal.

As for exercise: it's not necessary for weight loss, but it's great for your health and it can make weight loss easier by giving you more calories to consume for the same rate of loss (MFP intends for you to not include exercise in your activity level - you log your exercise separately and you then get extra calories to consume). Choose whatever exercise you enjoy, the best exercise is exercise you actually do! Walking is great for beginners.

I've lost 70+ lbs so far with that approach (from a BMI of 34 to a BMI of around 22 now) - I love it because it works and because it's sustainable long-term.