Rice confusion!!

Options
So I'm a little confused on how rice works lol on the back of the package, it says "160 cal for 1/4 cup"; is that for cooked or uncooked rice??

Replies

• ellies_j16
    ellies_j16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    uncooked
  • ellies_j16
    ellies_j16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    usually, if you are buying a dried grain, like rice, quinoa, beans, peas, etc. all of the nutritional facts account for the DRIED weight.

measure out how much you want before you cook or what you cook into the portions that make sense for your goals
  • mcskylady
    mcskylady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So, if I'm understanding correctly, the calories will stay the same, uncooked or cooked, just the amount will triple?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,172 Member
    Options
    mcskylady wrote: »
    So, if I'm understanding correctly, the calories will stay the same, uncooked or cooked, just the amount will triple?

The volume will increase, yes (absorption of water). But the total number of calories will stay the same, it's just spread over a larger volume.
  • mcskylady
    mcskylady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Okay, I think I got it now! Thank you :)
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Note: the calories will only stay the same if you cook your grains in water, because water does not have calories. If you cook them in broth, or any other liquid that does have some calories in it, you'll need to factor those in as well. That said, most chicken and beef broths come in around 10 calories per cup, so it's not going to be a huge deal.