splenda info

Options
The back of my Splenda box says 1 packet 0 calories. However, I had 2 packets on oatmeal and logged it into MFP and it said 8 calories. Why is this? I don't mind the 8 calories but just curious.

Replies

• runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    If you scroll down through the picklist, you will find Splenda has been entered multiple times. Most of the entries say 0 calories, but more than one say 4 calories / packet. Not sure which one is correct. The point being, lots of foods that are 'user-entered' on MFP do not have the correct nutritional info entered (even if they say they are confirmed). So, just beware and double check any item you are selecting from the picklist.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    have you tried stevia? it is so much better!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Why is it better?
  • arispawild
    Options
    Why is it better?

Some people believe it is better because
    1. It typically is more "sweet" so you have to use less.
    2. It is much more 'natural' and isn't as chemically
  • levigal
    Options
    Thanks Tom :-)

And I have never even heard of stevia :-(
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Did you know that Splenda was discovered while scientist were working on a new rat poison? No joke.
  • Shrekkk
    Options
    be careful with artificial sweeteners... they are processed with chemicals (some with formaldehyde!) Yeah... 'cuz THAT'S healthy.
    The government has decided in their ultimate wisdom that less than 4 calories can be advertised as "zero".
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of stevia products, and I find splenda to have an unpleasant aftertaste.
  • sdwelk11
    Options
    If you scroll down through the picklist, you will find Splenda has been entered multiple times. Most of the entries say 0 calories, but more than one say 4 calories / packet. Not sure which one is correct. The point being, lots of foods that are 'user-entered' on MFP do not have the correct nutritional info entered (even if they say they are confirmed). So, just beware and double check any item you are selecting from the picklist.

I totally agree with this because i was going to Panda Express and getting Eggplant Tofu with chow mein Panda bowl because it said it was like 400 calories on MFP but then when I went to the Panda Express website and looked at the nutrition info it was way more than that! like almost 400 calories more!!!!!:explode: :explode:
  • SophRW
    SophRW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Per packet: 4 cals, 1 g carbs, 1 g sugar
  • aliciarenee79
    aliciarenee79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I find stevia tastes great in everything....except coffee. That is the number one thing I use sweetener in!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Any food serving that is under 5 calories can be officially labeled as 0 calorie in the US. And the info, direct from the Splenda company is that each packet is 4 calories. Important info for people who throw Splenda into recipes in place of sugar thinking it's no calories. 1 cup of Splenda ends up being around 190 calories that people won't account for at all.

It's also why sometimes you get really weird serving sizes on stuff. Like 3/4 of a pickle spear or 1/4 second spray of aeresol cooking oil. All that stuff has calories, it's just "officially" low enough to not be on the label. (FYI - the average pickle spear, whole, has about 5 calories and a 1 second spray of aerosol cooking oil has about 10 calories)
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    stevia also does not raise glucose levels.a positive for diabetics
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I also use stevia! All natural, just a drop or two will do! Also comes in flavors like vanilla, so it's a nice treat if you're a coffee drinker too :)