Fiber Overload?

Options
In order to keep myself happily full without going over on calories, carbs, and fats, I'm eating a lot of fruits and veggies. The result of that, of course, is that I'm almost always over on my fiber. It's a balancing act I'm not very good at yet.

Question is, Will this hurt me or keep me from losing the weight I need to lose?

Replies

• Soccer_chick916
    Soccer_chick916 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thats a good question, I am not really sure. But fiber will keep you regular that is for sure.

I did find this though:
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/6-health-risks-of-eating-too-much-fiber.html
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I try to eat more raw veggies and limit my fruit. Does not answer your question but I seem to be healthy according to my doctor. All my lab tests are good. I have lost over 50 pounds since December of 2010.
  • Dreaaa
    Dreaaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    To be honest. NO. As long as you're drinking enough water to help the fiber move through your digestive tract you'll be fine. You can never have enough fiber in my opinion. Keeps you regular and helps your body get rid of some extra "baggage". :)
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Try to increase your fiber slowly. Don't just jump directly into eating tons of fiber. Your body needs to get used to it.

Fiber is good, if I go 10g over my daily amount I don't think it's a bad thing. How much are you going over?
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Provided you get plenty of fluids, the extra fibre should help your progress.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    My doc told me that you can't get "too" much fiber through foods. Only if you take fiber supplements. I don't have any reason not to believe him...hope this helps!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I have learned ( UH, the HARD WAY) you can get fiber OVERLOAD>>which binds you up and can cause blockages
    IF you are eating a great deal of soluble fiber- such as fiber bars or supplements,
    AND not drinking ADEQUATE am'ts of water
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    To put this in context, about how many grams of fiber are you actually eating? The default setting for MFP is way lower than it should be.
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of fiber overdose, I eat way over the FDA recommended amount for the same reason as you (feeling full) and the only side effect I have noticed aside from keeping me regular is flatulence which of course can be a problem in public, lol....I have learned to deal with it and be discreet as much as possible. Do not overdo on the fruits in the evening as they contain sugar and are harder to metabolize while you are sleeping and may result on a slowing down of your weight loss. Good luck
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    So long as you're handling the fiber fine (you're not experiencing too much gas and are going to ththe bathroom normally), then having lots of fiber is a good thing.