New to MFP, and I have Hashimotos/Hypothyroidism

Options
Hello all! I am new to this site and I am on day two of my diet. I have Hashimotos and continue to gain weight. I need to know that it is possible to lose with Hashimotos. Would you please let me know if you have lost and you have Hashimotos and or Hypothyroidism? I am at the beginning of my journey and I feel so discouraged that I will be able to lose. What has worked for you?

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I do not have hashimotos but I have trained several women that have it and it IS possible to lose weight and I've seen a couple of women actually 'reboot' their metabolism and get off of their medications. You CAN do this!!!
  • XiaoRuRu
    Options
    I have hypo and just eating under my calories hasn't been good enough. I have to workout everyday (not that I do it) but when I do for some days in a row, then I start to see results. I also have abandoned sodas altogether, they used to be my pick-me-up when I got my thyroid fatigue going on. Green tea is my go to drink.

But absolutely, work out. Harder than anyone you know because hypo makes it harder on you than others. Feel free to friend.
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid as well, and I have to be honest, doing the same thing everyone else is doing has paid off for me too! I think I am losing at a slower rate than what MFP averages for me, but it is working none-the-less. Its easy to get discouraged, but I have set mini goals for milestone weight losses, every 5lbs I give myself a little reward!

My doctor had said that if I was really concerned with my weight that she would up my dosage of synthyroid but I wanted to do it without medication as much as possible.
  • sittingduck180
    Options
    I am too! I actually posted something similar a few months ago when I joined up... I have found no secret, but I can't stress how important it is to keep some kind of mood/energy journal so when you start feeling bad you change your meds ASAP. Come to think of it, I felt sick for a long time and the first thing my new doc did was change me to brand name synthroid... cleared things right up. Welcome!
  • cornymama
    Options
    How can I reboot my metabolism? Right now I'm afraid to eat, because everything sticks to me. Don't worry, I am eating, but I get so nervous. My metabolism is zilch. Thanks for replying!
  • Blissfull_Kelly
    Options
    Hi there, I am 33 and am hypothyroid. I have been on dessicated thyroid for over a year now and have lost 19 lbs. I lose more if I restrict my carbs.

I find the biggest struggle for me is finding the energy to plan my meals and workout. IT IS POSSIBLE to lose though.

I was at 206 when diagnosed and am 187 today, my goal is 135 lbs.

GOOD LUCK and add me if you like :)
  • Ritamas2
    Options
    Hi there,
    There is hope, my name is Rita and I have Hypothyroidism,
    I have been on meds since around 2002 or so, but it's just
    been since June that I am finally on the right dosage, thanks
    to seeing an endocrinologist!
    Before that time, I just kept gaining weight, but I was sedentary
    for the most part because I had no energy or drive due to not
    being on the correct dosage of meds. The Hypothyroidism will
    zap all energy and even steel your drive and motivation to do
    all the things that you once loved doing!
    Now however, I am full of energy I have my drive back, and I am losing
    weight, I am exercising but not killing myself at it, but i am also eating
    much better than I was too, I just cut out (for the most part) all sugar,
    white breads, rice, pasta and so on, and replaced it all with healthier choices
    whole grain products, there are so many wonderful choices, I miss nothing!!!
    Those are the only changes I have made, but until you are on the right dosage
    of meds, none of it is possible.
    I wish you the best of luck on your journey, please feel free to add me and ask
    anything that you would like to know, I will help you all I can, I know the struggles believe me!!!
  • XiaoRuRu
    Options
    How can I reboot my metabolism? Right now I'm afraid to eat, because everything sticks to me. Don't worry, I am eating, but I get so nervous. My metabolism is zilch. Thanks for replying!

I have to point to working out again. I do a moderate work out in the mornings and it really just sorta jazzes me up for the day. Getting your heart and body going and that has helped me.
    And carbs are the devil for me. I pass out after pasta.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. I don't if the cause is hashimoto's because they don't test anything other than T4 and TSH here :( I am losing weight but very slowly. I have found 6 small meals a day, no sugar, not too many carbs and plenty of exercise works best for me. Feel free to add me if you like (just ignore today's diary - it's not typical of what I normally eat!). :smile:
  • FLGatorGrl
    Options
    I also have Hasimotos and it is a struggle daily until they get your med's correct. I try to watch what I eat everyday and do some type of exercise daily. The weight is slow to come off but don't give up !!!! Even with my Synthroid dose correct some days I have to push myself to go to the gym. I have started 30 day shred to maybe jump start the weight and inches coming off. Good Luck !!
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone!
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto 2.5 years ago. The last six months medication didn't work for me good. I also quite smoking, so I didn't realize quickly the reason I gained so much weight in such a small period.
    I have lost only 3 kg from the 10 I gained although I eat until 1200 calories per day and exercise almost 3-4 times a week.
    I find it too difficult to lose weight now.....
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I've been hypothyroid since 1992. I have struggled with my weight for more years than I care to count. The things that have helped me along the way are daily exercise even if it's just a brisk walk and watching my calorie in take. I was always able to maintain my weight by just doing this until I tore cartilage in my knee 4 years ago. I really had a hard time rehabilitating after my knee surgery and found it almost impossible to exercise :grumble: . I gained a tremendous amount of weight because of this. In December 2010 I decided enough was enough and went back to the gym. I also decided to try eating mostly a plant based (nutrient dense) diet. I fell in love with drinking Green Smoothies, found a great Personal Trainer who has helped with the knee rehab part and I have lost 68 lbs to date. I joined MFP when I hit a plateau and I can honestly say that looking at my daily calorie intake and exercise has really helped me stay focused. YOU CAN LOOSE WEIGHT :love: it just takes more work for us because of our slow metabolism. You've come to the right place. There's lots of encouragement on here. Try joining one of the Challenge threads on the discussion boards. This will help you with keeping your goals in check:wink: .

Fell free to add me as a friend!
  • charm_quark
    Options
    Some days, (one of this was the day before and today) I just feel so tired to go to gym. Last evening, I went for my one hour jogging in slow pace and in 10 minutes I felt like I had run the whole marathon. Is this from the Hashimoto? Do you have any idea?
  • eclecticdeb
    eclecticdeb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    poustotah: You are mistaken. If someone truly has Hashimoto's then there is no way to "reboot" their system. They have an autoimmune disorder that attacks the thyroid, rendering it useless. In my case, my thyroid has shriveled up, and is about 10% of normal size. It's not something that will ever grow back -- I will be on medication for the REST of my life.
  • charm_quark
    Options
    This is what I know about Hashimoto. An autoimmune problem that will make me to take pills for all my life.
    Eclecticdeb, my thyreoid is also a little smaller too ( I don't know how much although).
    I realised that someone with hashimoto (or other thyreoid problems) must be very careful with food and exercise a lot in order to maintain their weight or even lose some.
  • tamz71
    tamz71 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi

I was diagnosed hypo in 2003 , and am currently on 150mg thyroxine a day. I have struggled to lose weight always giving in to soon . So I'm giving it another go as my son is getting married in 18 months . Reading the replies on here and I can see that it can work just takes a bit longer for us :) .
  • FLGatorGrl
    Options
    I am on 250mcg of Sythroid a day. And yes it takes longer to lose and requires lots of exercise. I am losing at about 1lb a week when most people will lose up to 2lbs. Some days I feel like why am I doing this for that little of benefit. But after 8 weeks I am down 8 lbs and the best thing is the swelling and water retention is almost gone.

We are here to cheer you on when you feel like throwing in the towel. Somedays just getting to the gym feels like all the exercise I need but after eight weeks I have the daily routine down and try to make the gym 5 days a week. Good luck with your weight loss.
  • bgredenbaugh
    bgredenbaugh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi, I not only had Hashimoto's, I also had thyroid cancer. I'm cured/in remission/whatever you want to call it, and I'm losing!!

Make sure you have a good endocrinologist (NOT A GENERAL PRACTITIONER!!!!!) and work on building your muscles - that will help. I've cut way down on my wheat and dairy (sad!) and I think that helps too.

It's going to be more challenging for you, perhaps, but YOU CAN DO IT!
  • charm_quark
    Options
    Well, I got the results of my exams today, while taking the new pill with the increased dosage of T4. It seems that the TSH hormone didn't decreased as much as I expected, because it is at 3.1 with maximum value at 4. I asked my endo because I'm afraid in case of a pregnancy but he tells it's ok. Also I keep not loosing enough weight. I really feel some days tired of all this effort not having results.
    I now believe that I need another endocrinologist.... :-(
  • rlw77
    rlw77 Posts: 61
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I am able to lose weight also. I take 75mcg of synthroid 3 times a week and 50mcg 4 times a week.
    This seems to be the magic dose for me.