Getting back on track after major set back

Options
Somehow I let myself get to 320lbs, and I can feel it. I’m down to 284 but hoping to get back to my 180 I was several years ago.

I ended up in the hospital for a week with a really bad health scare and right now actually need a walker to walk because I’m so weak and I had a hole drilled in my leg (needed IV access and I was crashing so they had no choice).

So, how would you set up goals? Start with 100 steps a day? See how many steps I’m taking on average and slowly increase them? I know I can’t push myself too hard but just want to see what others would do.

Thanks all and happy holidays!!!

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Because you are so physically limited right now, I think your goals should focus more on food/calorie intake rather than steps.

Definitely do what you can to move, but also set a calorie goal and log your food as accurately as possible. Once you start losing weight, hopefully that will help with your mobility.
  • KarmaKamen
    KarmaKamen Posts: 42 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I started with finding out my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure; an estimation of how many calories you burn per day when exercise is taken into account) and BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate; how many calories your body burns when at rest) and from there I was able to set a calorie goal. Just being aware of what you're eating and how much you're eating can be a big help. Also, I track all my food including snacks and drinks.

I hope you feel better and good luck. 🍀
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Get your food intake and nutrition on point. That will impact you in wondrous ways. As for exercising and moving.. ask your PT or doctor about when and how much. Best of luck to you as you regain your health. :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Happy holidays to you, too!

Good job on the 36lbs but so sorry to hear about the health scare. :# I understand your question and totally agree with your anticipated response. Start small. And doable. Pick a daily goal you KNOW you can do on days you feel great but also on days you're not your best. No one is at their best every day, and having an exercise goal modest enough that you KNOW you can get through it even on those days makes your whole program more doable (and takes away excuses ;) )

I also agree with previous posters that it's more about intake then exercise, but I've been here long enough to recognize you <3 and know that you already know that.

How is the tot?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Tot is great! So big so fast!

Thankfully leg is healing quickly but I’ve developed tendonitis from the antibiotic I’m on. Thankfully just one more day and I’m done, doctor says within a week the tendonitis should go away.

I haven’t been able to tolerate much beyond a few bites of food here and there, so lost a lot of water weight this week. I’m also terrified to drink too much because I was vomiting everything up, so intake has been very small and measured.

It’s just been a very difficult week.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I’ve had to rehab from long hospital stays, too. So glad that you made it home safe and sound, when all is said and done. The important thing from a nutrition standpoint is to focus on getting enough nutrition to let your body heal. Weight loss isn’t a goal at first. Focus on getting the right amount of protein (talk to your doctors to see how much is right for you, taking into account how healthy your kidneys are and what meds you’re on) so your muscles and skin can heal and stay healthy. Second goal is enough fruits and veggies, to get the micro nutrients you need. If you’re on a blood thinner, talk to your medical team about the details of what you can eat and how much. Focus on logging to make sure you’re getting enough, not limiting. You might want to work with your doctor or a dietician to figure out the details.

For walking, I started out with where I was, tracking my steps with a Fitbit on my hip (the wrist ones don’t always pick up steps with a walker or crutch). I’d try to gradually increase the step goal, very small increments that could be reached easily. But I have a muscle disease that makes me have to go slowly with exercise, you might feel ready faster.

I had to get some physical therapy to help me with balance, too, things like turning my head when walking, walking sideways, stepping over objects, stairs, walking backwards, etc were very difficult for me and too hard for me to attempt on my own. If they’re too hard for you to do on your own, ask your doctor for a physical therapy consult.

Let your doctor know that you’ve had trouble keeping food and water down, they might be able to help you with something for it.

Hang in there, the transition home is tough but you’ll make it!
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    I have been dealing with my issues longer.. at 27, in 2001, I was 361, and went to the hospital, and was diagnosed with CHF, and A-Fib, diabetes in 2002, although by then I had probably been that way for a decade.

I am currently 232.. I know low carb works for me, but when I start feeling good, I fall off plan.. BUT 129 lbs. is still good loss, and I am losing quicker now.

Whatever you are doing is working.. 36 lbs. lost with diet.. keep doing that.. BUT, at some point, you start to feel restless.. you are lighter, and feel better moving around. This happened to me.

I wouldn't use exercise to lose a lot of weight.. diet will do that.. just be patient. However, exercise is good. We feel better when we exercise, it does elevate our metabolism for a short time, even if doesn't help much with weight loss, and it helps your cardiovascular system.

I started with walking to the mailbox and back. Kept picking goals farther away.. the blue car 500 feet away, a park 1/2 a mile from home.. rest 15 minutes, and come back. Today, I walk 3.6 miles to the lake and back on the trail.

I am disabled.. bad heart valve, which I need to get replaced, but getting outside, and moving are good for me. Exercise isn't necessary for weight loss, but some physical activity is needed for life, in my opinion.. no one really knows how wonderful it is to be mobile, and able to do things, unless they CAN'T, then it becomes a big deal.

For me, weight loss led to more exercise. I could do more as I lost weight, and just paced myself along, with small increases when I felt I could.

Diet for weight loss, Exercise for health.. both mental and physical.

Good Luck getting back to where you want to be.