Can you bank calories?

Options
Would it work if you, say, are 400 calories under your limit and save that for the next day to go 400 calories over your calorie limit? Or would it not work if you do it that way? I would think as long as your weekly calories add up to what it should be, this diet would work. What do you think?

Replies

• kassied09
    Options
    I have been curious about this as well. In theory it sounds legit...but I am not sure.
  • dlovesjimma
    dlovesjimma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like to manage daily, not weekly, so no idea if this would work. If I know I am going out with friends, or having a treat one day, I just double up on the exercise so that I have calories to spare for that day.
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    That's the basic therory behind zig zagging calories. I don't believe that your body says "oh it's midnight, have to reset the calorie clock"...so if it works for you do it. My experience...consistency has a bigger weight loss payoff.
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    I know someone who does this, but personally I don't do it. If I need to eat more or whatever one day vs another, I will just exercise more.

Some people will argue but it's *really* important to eat the minimum 1200 daily cals.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    I don't have any scientific proof, but I've known people who lost plenty of weight doing the Body for Life diet -- really tight control for 6 days and 1 "free" day. Also, I think weight watchers allows "banking" points (I could be wrong, never done it myself). The only thing I'd be afraid of is it seems like if I don't eat enough I'm STARVING the next day....can't get filled up on any amount of calories! Be careful!
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I don't know about banking calories but I do believe in a good cheat meal about once or twice a month.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    It doesn't work for my checkbook.

I've intentionally zig-zagged ( but even that are guidelines I'm staying in between)
    to bust through a plateau where I'm stuck not losing,

but I'd get confused.

If you go over one day, learn from it and go to bed.

Start fresh the next day....with a clean PLATE.
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I tend to bank exercise calories if I know I have a big night out coming up at the weekend. As long as my weekly calories even out then I've been fine doing this, but everyone is different.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Banking calories takes too much calculation. Also, it becomes way to easy to reverse the process--I'll take a loan of calories today and eat fewer calories tomorrow. Pretty soon you're so in debt that you have to eat so few calories on some days that you are likely to cheat. Eating for a healthy weight is a one day at a time process.
  • rl21209
    rl21209 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers does allow banking of points and it is one of the most successful diet plans out there.