chips and salsa

Options
I want some salsa. I'd be happy to try something better than chips with it but I can't think of anything that goes with it. And I don't have any chips so that is saving me right now. Any suggestions to an allternitive?

Replies

• phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine uses English cucumbers in place of chips. Brilliant!
  • agugino
    agugino Posts: 119
    Options
    A friend of mine uses English cucumbers in place of chips. Brilliant!

Uhm... silly question. What are English cucumbers?! Where would we even find these things?
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I eat salsa with pork rinds... I know about the sodium but they are zero carbs and i like the crunch.
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Not a silly question at all. They're in most grocery stores. They're the long, thin cucumbers that are usually wrapped in plastic. They have fewer seeds that regular cucumbers.

See, for example: http://thejapanesekitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/english_cuke1.jpg
  • sarahwebb81
    Options
    If you get the baked Lay's tortilla chips, I think it's only about 120 calories for 14 chips, which is more than you might think. It makes a nice little snack as long as you don't sit and snack on the chips all day. Just measure them out before you eat.

I like the cucumber and pork rinds ideas. I might have to try those.
  • darklord48
    darklord48 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I second the baked tortilla chips. As an alternative, you can use salsa as a vegetable dip for carrots, broccoli, and the like. You can also use vegetable chips.

My personal favorite, I bake corn tortillas until they get crisp, they're not quite as good as chips, but taste great, especially if you put some cheese on them like a quesadilla.

If you are looking for salsa recipes, I have a couple here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/343061-salsa
  • asedersten
    Options
    I have used Melba Toast or Flatbread now has Flatbread chips/crackers that are delicious! Also try the Special K Sea Salt Cracker Chips. You get 30 per serving!!
  • trishoida
    Options
    I use unsalted rice cakes! One of my favorite treats is a rice cake with the chipotle/queso laughing cow light cheese and salsa!!