Anorexia Help for people with no money

Options
I have been diagnosed with anorexia but my mother is in complete denial about it. She is not going to pay for a dietician to help me and I have very little money to do it on my own. Does anybody have any suggestions about how someone with no money can get help with anorexia?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Do you qualify for state insurance? If so, that would help pay for treatment.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Could you tell us a little more about your situation? Are you in school? Do you have a job? Do you have any kind of health insurance?
    There are free or low cost services you might be able to access through your school, work, or local government.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    What country are you in, in addition to the above questions? State?

In the US, and I assume in other countries, there are non-profit organizations that have services for people with anorexia, including some free resources (hotlines, documentation, newsletters, etc.). I don't know very much about this area, but there is a list of them here with some user/participant reviews:

https://greatnonprofits.org/categories/view/eating-disorders-and-addictions

I'd encourage caution about user reviews, as those can be manipulated . . . but it may at least give you a starting point to look at some organizations that might be useful to you.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are in the US but if so the below may be able to offer some help/support/advice. Please do seek some kind of treatment because doing it on your own is going to be virtually impossible. As someone who did not get appropriate help when my disorder started as a teenager I can tell you it only becomes more ingrained. I still struggle 25 years down the road and would not wish it on anyone. Stay safe and know you are not alone.

https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/help-support/contact-helpline
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    skorman06 wrote: »
    I have been diagnosed with anorexia but my mother is in complete denial about it. She is not going to pay for a dietician to help me and I have very little money to do it on my own. Does anybody have any suggestions about how someone with no money can get help with anorexia?

Who diagnosed you? They should be able to help you access services.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    From here on MFP....

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625071-Eating-Disorder-Resources

Wish I could help more. For anyone in need, please ask. I'm sure there are other resources that could be found.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I know seeking professional help is challenging, but it really is your best option. More information would help us determine if we know of any resources that would help you. Many areas have subsidized or sliding scale therapists and dieticians/nutritionists. You could also look into support groups, these are often free and thanks to COVID, many are happening online. Also contact universities. They often offer free or cheap therapy with their practicum students and video conferencing means you don't have to live in the same city. Your family doctor (who I'm assuming diagnosed you??) should also be able to help connect you with therapists and dieticians/nutritionists. And if nothing else, check out your local library. They may know of resources you haven't found and they will have books you can read for free.