I need advice on a HRM! :)

Options
I know a lot of people have probably asked all about all sorts of heart rate monitors. But we all have different situations, so I am just going to ask:
Is there a certain place online where people can choose the right HRM for themselves?

I think it would be nice to have a HRM but I do not care to spend a fortune on it. Basically, what I'm most interested in is the calories burned throughout the day. I was thinking I would want a wrist watch but I am afraid it won't be as accurate as one with a chest strap. I am self-employed and it's important for my job to be professionally dressed and I constantly wear high heels, which makes me concerned about a foot pod that might make a wrist watch more accurate. And does a wrist watch cover everything from just walking around the house vacuuming to walking the dog to hard aerobics? I would want something that I could wear pretty much all the time. But if I wear it all the time, would it be better to get a chest strap? I don't know how comfortable it would be to wear a chest strap pretty much all day, especially under my business attire.

HELP! :)

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    well i dont know of a site that lets you compare..but I will say this..wearing the chest strap isnt so bad...and yes..you can start the watch..and it will go until you stop it..and will tell you your burn for the day..
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    <dizzy from the back and forth questions>

get a Polar FT4 and I think that covers all of your concerns. Its reasonably priced, has a chest strap for accuracy, has a wrist watch unit, and is fairly easy to use. Once you hit "start" you should be able to keep track of your calories burnt until you hit "end".
  • twinlikeme
    twinlikeme Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the whiplash! haha But thank you! This helps me a lot. :)
  • nikkizmom1962
    nikkizmom1962 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use the polar ft4 and love it the chest strap is great dont even realize im wearing it. keeps accurate counts and was affordable has helped me keep moving. on another note I also use the fitbit monitor very small and discreet and very accurate tracks the steps i need per day and with this i can look at it and know i have so many more to do. this i wear in my pocket or attach to my bra no one knows i have it on.........good luck hope this helps
  • tarapickens
    Options
    I agree that a chest strap really isn't uncomfortable, I have even finished exercising and forgot to take it off! I have a polar f6 and can't imagine life without it. My husband bought a wrist watch from walmart and it did not read his hr accurately at all! I checked on one wrist by counting and he had the watch on the other, it was off by 40bpm! I don't know that I trust them at all! He took it back and got one with a chest strap, it works perfectly, and he loves it too!

[img][/img]
  • willdbill0712
    willdbill0712 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I recently ordered the Polar RS300X. It has a chest strap. I often forget it is there while working out. I would think it would be just as easy to forget on a daily basis at the office.
    I have thought about wearing it a day or two just to get a baseline of what I burn during the day. Might try it next week.