Question about frozen chicken breast

Options
I buy frozen chicken breasts (or breast tenders) and the serving size is 4oz. Is that the weight while it's frozen, thawed, or cooked? None of the many kinds of brands that I've used says. Thanks!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would guess (and that's all it is) that it means thawed, but the weight shouldn't change much when cooked.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    Serving size usually refers to the package as is, so in this case it would be the frozen chicken.
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I usually try to measure mine thawed and before I cook it....
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    That's approximately one chicken breast - although of course there is variation. I am mostly concerned about getting a close estimate into my daily log, but you can always buy a food scale if you want to be exact. Then you would thaw the breast or tenders and then weigh them. 1 ounce of chicken is about 35 calories, 7 grams of protein, and 1 gram of fat. I pretty much eat all the grilled chicken I want since I can never seem to get enough protein.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    If you have some food scales give it a weigh next time the minute you take it out of the freezer. I must admit I tend to count all of mine as large as the sizes over here (UK, and fresh) seem to vary so wildly and I'm a bit lazy with the weighing!
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    That's approximately one chicken breast - although of course there is variation. I am mostly concerned about getting a close estimate into my daily log, but you can always buy a food scale if you want to be exact. Then you would thaw the breast or tenders and then weigh them. 1 ounce of chicken is about 35 calories, 7 grams of protein, and 1 gram of fat. I pretty much eat all the grilled chicken I want since I can never seem to get enough protein.

Thank you, that's really handy!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    The 4oz refers to thawed uncooked chicken (to be totally specific, it refers to the chicken breast before it was frozen). Most nutritional values published for meat refer to pre-cooked weight. In theory, a frozen breast would weigh the same as a thawed breast. However, when you're weighing a frozen breast you're also weighing any frost/ice that formed on it from the air around it.
  • BeckyFitPal
    Options
    I tend to weigh mine when I get them out to thaw and have never weighed them after thawing before. I may do that just as an experiment tonight. Thanks for all the help!

Me too, it's my main source of protein since it's so lean. I tend to eat it at two meals every day.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    thawed or cooked it should weigh the same. the packaging weight is the frozen weight (the weight at which it is transported).