Shower Chair? NoVa/Wash. DC Area!

Options
dayzeerock
dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
Hello! I'm writing all the way from Wisconsin, hoping that someone in the NoVa/DC area can help me out a bit! My mother has cancer...a very rare form of cancer. Due to the kind of chemo treatment she had to receive, she is paralyzed on her right side (still unsure whether it's permanent or not). She cannot stand in the shower, and due to exhaustion, cannot always comfortably take a bath for fear of falling asleep. I've been traveling out there as much as possible to help her, but I cannot be there all the time. She is getting much better, though. Her scans today came back nearly clear, so we celebrate! But we also know that there's some areas she needs help in...like bathing.

I'm asking if anybody in the area has a shower chair/stool/device that they are willing to donate, or know of someone who has one that could. It would honestly mean the world to me to know that she is safe while showering when I can't be there.

My mom is the woman in my profile photo. She means everything to me. She's also a pretty damn good looking woman, bald and everything! So, if you're a sexy man in the DC area who would like to help her in the shower, that would be even better than a chair! I know she'd love it ;-)

Anyone out there? Bueller??

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Totally awesome - pimpin' mom!

I hope someone can help!

:heart:
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I hope someone can help too. You're an awesome daughter for posting this :)
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I'll check Freecycle since I'm not that far from your mom.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Not sure if money is the issue, but I see these for sale:

http://www.activelivingnow.com/Shower_Chairs_s/45.htm?gclid=CJWJyp3NoqsCFSg1gwodCS0_kQ
  • rjs3455
    rjs3455 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Im from the DC area but dont have a chair.. Good luck! your right... your mom looks amazing!
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    From SouthEastern VA but I think I might know someone who has one......
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options

Which FreeCycle are you checking? I can check mine, which is likely different than yours.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I would recommend contacting your Mom's health insurance company. Whether she is covered under Medicare or a commercial health plan, make some phone calls. It may not be a big deal to get this as a covered benefit. Worst they can say is no, but it is also in their financial interest to keep your Mom safe as well.

Good luck! Your Mom is lucky to have such a good daughter to look out for her.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Wow! I agree your mom looks great!!! Go mom!
    Granted I'm a ways away...but I know that carolwright gifts, or harriet carter sells stuff like that.

I hope she gets something!
  • dayzeerock
    Options
    I would recommend contacting your Mom's health insurance company. Whether she is covered under Medicare or a commercial health plan, make some phone calls. It may not be a big deal to get this as a covered benefit. Worst they can say is no, but it is also in their financial interest to keep your Mom safe as well.

Good luck! Your Mom is lucky to have such a good daughter to look out for her.

Yeah, unfortunately, it was denied (which is bs, in my opinion). I know they're not too expensive, but she literally has nothing right now, as they are taking their sweet time getting her disability check to her and everything. We've been hosting fundraisers to cover her co-pays and all that, but I know how helpful a chair would be, even though her insurance company disagrees for some reason...
  • dayzeerock
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone...it all means a lot <3
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Which FreeCycle are you checking? I can check mine, which is likely different than yours.

I'm still on the fairfax city one or something.
  • dayzeerock
    Options
    A chair has been donated and is on it's way to mama tonight! Thank you all so much!!!