New runner tips?

Options
Hi friends, I plan on getting into running along with lifting weights and I thought I’d ask if anyone had any tips or advice for running? I plan on doing long walks and light paced hogs before full on running(to be kind to my joints 😌) but anything else I’ll greatly appreciate !

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I agree with Leitchi, c25k is a good way to start. Keep your running intervals at a slow and comfortable pace. Think jog, not sprint. If you go slower, you will be able to go farther with less effort.
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I am not a "runner," by any means, but I have definitely put in many miles running. I think that it's important to keep your knees fairly soft when running, especially for older women (like me). I sometimes would be too rigid in my knees and even ankles, so think about staying soft there. I also like to boost my spirit with mental talk when I'm running, like telling myself I am calm, or steady, or focused, or strong, etc. Like a mantra, you know? That always helps me.
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body.

Do lots of stretching and rolling to keep or develop flexibility and help warm up/warm down.

Also, invest in a good rain jacket for running. Some of my favourite runs are in the rain.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I'd also buy a HR monitor and only go at paces where your HR seems to stay constant, with the possible exception of hills. If it's going up, slow down or walk.

I don't run now but ran for 7 or 8 years. Incremental increases are best and there's no such thing as "too slow" when you're starting out.

Where I disagree with most is that you should go to a running store for the first pair, but after that, once you know if you pronate, underpronate, or are "neutral", it's wasting money. They look at your gait and put like four shoes in front of you to choose from. Most assuredly, one will be Brooks (not a fan of Brooks). HOKAs are great for new runners. Expensive but cushy. I found Saucony to be my personal favorite but everyone is different.

Once you find a brand you like, Holabird is a great site to buy last year's models (that's how you can save a lot of money).
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Just to add to what I said above, this is a great illustration. Once you understand "wear patterns" on your shoes, you know what type of runner you are and can tailor your shoe to how you run.

ukpg28mxu6cc.png
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Include some kind of strength training once a week to help prevent injuries. Doesn't need to be "heavy" but working your muscles in different ranges of motion helps them stay fit
  • tcatcarson2
    tcatcarson2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Take the loooong view.
    Do you imagine running for the rest of your life? I didn't but that's how it's ended up, and at "only" 48 I've learned that running (and lifting) will change all the time; how long you can spend, suddenly feeling fitter or suddenly feeling tired, what you wear whether it's ALL the BEST kit or just your scruffy old favourites...

So basically, don't over-plan or worry about the small stuff; run if you enjoy it and the rest falls in to place. Happy Running!
  • gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Obviously it’s different for everybody, but what I’ve learnt over 5 years of on/off running is:
    - build gradually and don’t let it hurt. I started by aiming for 20-30 minutes being out. I started with intervals (really short ones of 20 paces run, 20 walk). Basically focus on time spent on your feet and pushing yourself a little but not so much you hate it or injure yourself.
    - Get well equipped. I have enough leggings etc that there are always clean ones ready to grab, good trainers, gloves because I hate cold hands, a head torch. These are personal to me but anything that makes me uncomfortable might put me off so I go to lengths to make sure that doesn’t happen.
    - Don’t expect to love actual running (I know lots of runners but not many who enjoy the runs entirely). There will be moments i’ll feel elated, but mostly it’s the feeling of having run (the after glow) that pushes me out of the door. That and the feeling of being able to run - it’s empowering and your fitness improves so quickly, it’s pretty exciting.
    - see it for what it is - convenient, efficient, easy. I would enjoy something like swimming or tennis a lot more, but I can’t fit that in easily, I can’t do it when I’m away, it costs money, I’m dependent on others. Running for me is by far the best way to keep me mentally and physically fit.
    - Don’t compare yourself to others. Go your own pace - there will add least be faster and and slower people.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,599 Member
    Options
    I never ran til I was 57. These are my rank beginner tips:

*get professionally fitted for footwear. A running store will video and view your gait in slo-mo and suggest appropriate footwear. They also suggested going up a size past my normal shoe size to give me room in the “toe box” for my big old flat feet. Well fitted shoes made 1,000% difference in my comfort level and we’re worth the extra expense for the service.

I buy extra of the same model shoe on Amazon. You can get last seasons color or model dirt cheap, and I like to have several pairs in rotation.

*quality running socks. I love Balega socks. They are about $12-15 a pair but the difference between them and a Hanes type sock is like the difference between a Rolls Royce and a unicycle. If you air dry them they will last forever. I’ve been rotating about eight pairs for over two years and they shown no signs of wear. Pricey but you will get your money’s worth.

* Body Glide. It looks like a deodorant stick but prevents chafing. Good on your heels, or for those really wierd temporary weight loss periods where your thighs rub or your bingo wings slap and chafe (and OMG is that painful)

* flip belt or similar from Amazon. Holds a key, phone, necessities on those days you don’t need a jacket but your leggings have no pockets (I don’t like pockets because I often drop my mat at the yoga studio back door, go for a run or walk and then go straight to a yoga class. I don’t like bumps or irregularities that distract during yoga. Besides, my leggings are amazingly comfortable for walking and running).

*Compeed brand blister patches. They are like black magic for blister relief. Easy to find in Europe, the only place I’ve found them here is Amazon. Expensive so cut to fit so each patch goes a longer way. They stick to the blister, meld to it via some kind of osmosis and become “part” of your skin, , cushion the painful area like crazy, and fall off about the time the blister has healed. Removes all pain, permits you to continue walking or running, and speeds up healing.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Do a lot of walking. Once you’ve built some stamina and can walk comfortably at least 2.5-3.5 mph start adding a min here and there. If you’ve never been a jogger then you need to start from the ground and find what is going to work for you. I use to be a jogger in my 20s. I took a 25 year break. Many many lbs had to come off before I considered jogging a single minute again. I walked for 11 months before starting to introduce jogging. If you have a treadmill or hitting the gym I’d recommend to mix between treadmill and outside jogs. The constant stability and ability for you to control
    level of intensity can help with the days you may not be feeling it. Some folks have given you some good tips on shoe fitting. Definitely try to get an assessment of your gait, pronation and any specific things that are applicable to your knees, ankles etc. Again walking should be your first goal. I have plenty of friends and see folks out in gyms or trails that have to much weight on and unfortunately they have or they’ll likely cause injuries that may set them back or take them out completely. Don’t rush it. Take it slow and easy you’ll get there.
  • minnelizzy
    minnelizzy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good advice! I’m also considering starting running. Going to get new shoes ASAP as I’m am a overpronator for sure
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    1. Get decent shoes. Dont strap on you old cross trainers and head out. I've been running in Asics since forever and the only time they ever let me down was when I spent $90 on a pair because I liked the color and design and disregarded that they were a totally different "shape" than what I generally run in. they were terrible. My favorite shoe ever is the Asics Gel Venture - theyre one of their lower line, but I live them.

2. Get a good playlist. Dont be afraid to listen to music when you run that you'd never listen to anywhere else. Rap is not really my favorite...but I LOVE it when I run. And then get a second playlist for different weather (if I'm running at dusk and it's kind of brisk/cool, the Garden State soundtrack is my jam). Running is a total head game, more than any other exercise I've ever done and I NEED the right music.

3. Don't try to start you running on a treadmills. Treadmills are miserable experiences compared to being outside.

4. I second the above "don't expect to love running". I hate it...for the first 20-24 minutes. Always. It's after that that I start to feel good, and once I'm done. It is very much a love/hate relationship.

5. Map yourself a route that doesn't suck and gives you nice/interesting/pretty things to look at.

6. I agree with the "start small" mindset other people have said, but I don't agree with the "start walking first". I actually think that most people CAN run, but don't think that they can. Or have higher expectations for what it means to "run". I had never run in my whole life other than when I was forced to in high school PE. I started running at 234 lbs and completely out of shape. I didn't run long and I didn't run fast, but I did run. I ran telephone poll lengths (I live rurally...if that's not an option for you, maybe city blocks or something?) I'd walk and the run (jog, really) the length between telephone polls. Then walk the next one, run the next etc. Gradually stretching out the number of "polls" I could run....within 2 years I was signing up for a half marathon. I never injured myself or anything in the process, but I did listen to my body. And if my body said to stop and walk and it seemed pretty serious about it, I stopped and walked.

7. Sports bras have never been more important to you in your whole life.

8. Don't worry about your speed, at least for awhile. I ran 14 minute miles for as long time. Then fastest I've ever been is like, an 11:20 mile, other than in one race where I ran 10 minute miles. For me, running needs to be enjoyable, and focusing on being fast makes it miserable. I can get a good intense workout running a 12 minute pace for 4 miles and not feel nearly as terrible as if I try to run faster.

9. be careful of what you eat (if anything) before you run. Like, almonds, for example? Terrible idea (for me, at least) and makes for some very embarrassing GI issues. In fact, running after I eat, in general, makes me sick...and I can eat and do pother workouts just fine. Just not running.

10. Stop and stretch your quads, calves and hips if you need to. Walk around a bit when youre done.
  • redduck1963
    redduck1963 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with pretty much everything said here, one thing I will add is to replace your shoes regularly. Over time the cushioning wears out and they will no longer protect your joints, staying injury free should be your number one goal. I also find that running with someone helps to keep me motivated and provides some accountability for the days when I want to skip a workout.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    *****Slow and steady (and consistent) wins the race. Do not add distance, time, or pace too quickly - it's a recipe for injuries that can become pesky/on-going. DO NOT: compare your pace/distance/time to any other runner. It doesn't matter one lick. Just do it consistently, that's already winning. I also want to just point out a personal pet peeve of mine --- distinguishing between 'jogging' and 'running'. I guess there are situations in which this is useful -- however, I don't think this is one. It's just all running. Don't care how fast you are or if you are walking during your run --- you're running and are a runner.

Follow a program like C25K at the start (and don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you need to!), once that's done you can start adding pace/time/distance (or you can graduate on to a 10K plan or 1/2 marathon plan, etc.) but if your goal is to run longer distances --- focus on running a longer amount of time* at a slower pace. Like...it's better to run for an hour than to focus on making your 5K pace faster each time you run. Your pace will increase as your overall fitness/distance/time running increases.

I'd also suggest making sure to include strengthening exercises for your glutes/hips/hamstring/core/lower back, etc. This can also help you avoid injury as a runner. Do some mobility stuff too (range of motion stuff).

If you are going to be running like 15 or so miles per week, there's no need to break the bank with your running shoes. Buy a decent pair of running specific shoes in that case that feel good. However, if you graduate on to greater mileage per week (20+ miles) then it's probably time to invest in some good ones (looking to spend $80-$200) depending on what works for you and what your budget is. I'd suggest going to a running shoe store to try them on because they can offer some great advice, you *usually are allowed to go take them for a run around the block, and they have great return policies, even if you've ran lots of miles in your shoes in case they don't work out for you. Also when it comes to nice running shoes -- generally speaking you should plan on getting ~350 (give or take) miles out of them before you really need a new pair. This will be different depending on your weight, running style, and what surface you're running on. I know people who use some shoes and they feel like they get 500 miles out of them. It just depends. Listen to your knees/hips lol. So, related to that fact - if you are going to consistently engage in running, keep track of the miles on your shoes (by using something like Strava or RunKeeper) that way you will know when you're coming up on replacing them. Some people also trade off with 2 pairs bc then you can go a bit longer before having to buy more shoes. Get good socks too, lol. I really like HappyFeet or Balega. I have heard that the youth Large Bolega are the same as the adult Small and are cheaper... =D

Clothes: rule of thumb is to dress as if it is ~15-20 degrees warmer for your run. This may mean you are cold for the first mile or so but you will definitely warm up by the time you get your stride and you'll regret being bundled up if you can't take some stuff off. If it's really cold, also pay attention to how tightly you have tied your shoes, bc poor circulation in your feet or pressure on the tops of your foot joints can cause some issues.

Fuel and hydrate yourself properly. Eat to run, not run to eat. Fueling or hydrating during a run will be individual to you. Last summer I did ~1hr runs and did not bring water with me, but would drink at the water fountain when I was done. I use a running gel at ~40th minute if I'm still running (and I'd take another one at ~80th min if I were still running and so on). Enjoy the runs!

Edit to add: sometimes (a lot of the time) my first mile is my slowest and I feel like I hate it/don't want to run. Get through that and you're golden!