Restarting healthy eating

Options
So I have been on a self distructing eating habit for a while now. Either I eat like crap or don't eat at all till dinner or late. I need to restart my eating not only for myself but health. I need some advice on how to start or what to do or some sample eating plans. I can be picky so it's hard sometimes but I need help. Anything is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If you are picky, someone else's preferences or an eating plan isn't going to work as well as figuring it out for yourself. One strategy is to decide how often you want to eat and when (I personally am currently eating 3 meals a day, without anything in-between). Then think about what you enjoy eating at those times (I like smoothies or eggs + veg at breakfast, something easy to bring to work for lunch (usually some kind of 1 dish meal that I can heat up), and then a variety of things at dinner, generally based around a source of protein and vegetables). The important thing is to start with what you like and then maybe tweak it to make it more nutritious if that is an issue.

Then just maybe try logging some potential days to see how many cals are in the things you think of to eat. Many people like eating similar things daily for breakfast (or even lunch).
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    "One Meal a Day" or OMAD is a valid way of eating, if that's something that's sustainable for you.
  • cvdub16
    cvdub16 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the comments so far 🙂
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,614 Member
    Options
    Like anything worth doing, you have to PLAN IT OUT. Write down how you're going to achieve it, do the necessary things to do it and then be consistent. There really is no definitive way so you have to find out what works for you.
    Some like me don't eat a traditional breakfast and have just 2 main meals a day. Some do OMAD. Some eat 6 meals a day. You just have to try to find out a program that YOU can sustain over the long haul.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    What @Speakeasy76 said. Don't try to do everything all at once- it's a recipe for failure.

If you're on the picky side, what has worked for you in the past?

Do you do better with several smaller snacks/ meals or eating once a day?

Do you tend to eat the same few dishes over and over? Nothing wrong with that. Maybe explore tweaking those familiar foods you know you like to reduce the fat or increase the fiber . . or just being really mindful about portion control.

Look at your pickiness as an asset: you already know what you like, so you have a great place to start!

• xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Eatingwell.com has lots of healthy meal plans with recipes and nutritional info.
  • tvm1970
    tvm1970 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    How are you travelling cvdub16?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I’ll third the opinion that small changes lead to better overall habits. Start trying to eat a fruit or veg with each meal, live with that for a few weeks and then go from there. If you have a soda or sweets problem, pick one of those to work on next. Don’t try to do it all at once, is the point, that way usually leads to failure.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Not meaning to be contrarian to the other great responses, but I get being ready to change and just wanting a tried plan. Several years ago someone here recommended Buzzfeed Clean Eating Challenge 2015- I just needed a starting point, and this provided a menu, recipes and shopping list. It introduced me to several foods I had never tried ie: fennel, riced cauliflower etc... Also several recipes I now make almost monthly Chicken in Green Verde Salsa and also several I will never make again. But we were ready for a change and this made it easy since I went and bought all the ingredients on the list and just made the recipes-

Just a different approach if this is where you are at...