Filling, low cal lunches

Options
Molissa08
Molissa08 Posts: 112 Member
I have such a hard time finding filling, low calorie lunches. I've tried salads with chicken, sandwiches, Lean Cuisines, soups, and I always end up eating way too much at lunch because nothing satisifes me.

Anyone have suggestions for filling low calorie lunches I can take to work? Thanks!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    you could try skipping breakfast and eating a larger lunch
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I always add soup and a big salad.
  • rainydayboys
    Options
    Or eating a larger breakfast.

I find as long as I have some carbs - like bread or rice - with my meal, I'm fuller longer. What about a large chicken or tuna salad with half a cup of brown rice tossed in, with lots of green leafy vegetables and other veggies. Add some avocado for some healthy and filling fat. Take a look at your fat/protein/carb ratio...
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Eating hot food makes one less hungry
  • sarahs440
    Options
    apple and peanut butter:)
  • LUCYRENEE
    LUCYRENEE Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I usually try to limit my lunches to 300 cals. I have about 300cals of something very healthy for breakfast such as oatmeal, or egg beaters with ww toast/pb..somthing like that. If you aren't eating a healthy fiber/protein filled breakfast it may make you over hungry for lunch.

Be careful of eating too many carbs for lunch as they can peak your blood sugar, causing insulin to flush the system and thereby lowering your blood sugar leaving you feeling hungry all over again.

I find that a very fiber rich bread, with chicken/turkey/peanut butter (natural, no sugar added..just peanuts) and a brothy based soup are very filling. Tomato soup is especially filling for me. Adding nuts somewhere between breakfast and lunch might help also...
    good luck
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    For me, I eat a low cal frozen entree plus my favorite steamed veggie. I have really enjoyed taking the mini lasagnas plus steamed broccoli to work. I make 12 of the mini lasagnas at a time, freeze and eat 2 with the veggies at lunch. Same thing if I am taking low cal chicken or tuna salad. Just add a low cal veggie.

I have had an apple for a snack around 10 or 3:00.

:)
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't skip breakfast. if you are wanting to get full, make sure you consume a lot of your calories at breakfast so you feel more full and have the whole day to work those calories off. like someone once said "eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper"...good rule to go by. I usually eat most of my calories at lunch and eat something smaller at night..

as for ideas:

large green salad with lots of protein and fillings..make sure to grill your meat and don't add breaded..thats just extra calories..also go easy on the salad and dressing

fill a wholewheat tortilla with ham/cheese/veggies and toast it or eat it cold

grilled salmon/quinoa/grilled asparagus...very filling and under 400 cal

scrambled egg on top of thomas english muffin (100 cal) topped with spinach/slice of tomato/deli ham and hot sauce..stick it in the toaster oven to warm. eat with a side of greek yogurt
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    For me, I eat a low cal frozen entree plus my favorite steamed veggie. I have really enjoyed taking the mini lasagnas plus steamed broccoli to work. I make 12 of the mini lasagnas at a time, freeze and eat 2 with the veggies at lunch. Same thing if I am taking low cal chicken or tuna salad. Just add a low cal veggie.

I have had an apple for a snack around 10 or 3:00.

:)

Sounds good. And what a cutie your dog is!!! :wink:
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I find that when I eat eggs in the morning it prevents me from getting really hungry by the time lunch rolls around. My lunch is usually either a 6" sub from Subway or a big bowl of oatmeal (SO filling) and then I eat some yogurt before I go home so I'm not starving while making dinner.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I always have a 2 course lunch, veg soup (home made to keep cals, salt & sugar low) then either grilled chicken, smoked salmon slices, mackerel fillets with oven roasted vegetables (mixed pepers, courgettes, aubergines), cottage cheese or houmous & some olives. Today I mixed it up a bit & had 50gs of couscous with the veg, houmous & olives. If I have time I boil up an egg & have that instead of the fish or meat.

I find the more things on my plate the fuller I get, I feel like I am eating more than I actually am & the soup is a good way of getting more veg in my diet but protein curbs the hunger & also stops your blood sugar peeking.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I find the best way to control appetite is to reduce carbs.
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    Get some oats or bran flakes, if flakes crush 'em up, sprinkle into a low fat yoghurt, add a banana or add some berries or whatever fruit you fancy.

Has been keeping me full for months now :D
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I second quinoa- it's very nutritious and full of protein.

Try the following quinoa salads:

Greek quinoa salad- mix the cooked quinoa with chopped black olives, sundried tomato paste (or red pesto), low fat feta cheese, tomatoes, cucumber and some fresh herbs and salad leaves.

Mexican quinoa salad- salsa, jalapenos, corn, coriander (cilantro), salad leaves, onions, tomatoes & cucumber.

Omlettes are also filling- especially when served with veggies/ side salad. Don't be afraid to bulk up on the veggies.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I made a batch of stir fry earlier in the week to take for lunch. It came out to about 300 calories per serving and was really satisfying!

I sauteed a package of stir-fry veggies, leftover red onion, a package of baby bellas (sliced), 1 large chicken breast (cut into bite-sized chunks), and some whole wheat thin spaghetti in a bit of olive oil, and added low-sodium soy sauce, red wine vinegar, ground ginger, crushed red pepper, and lots of garlic to make a sauce.

I ended up with 4 pretty generous servings. The next time I make it I am going to experiment with using Pam instead of olive oil and play around with the sauce a little bit.
  • Molissa08
    Molissa08 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas, everyone!