Disabled but still getting exercise

Options
I have terrible lower back problems. Lots of pain and instability. I sometimes push myself too hard and pay for it afterwards. I can not live on 1500 calories a day so the bottom line for me is to burn calories and reward myself. Walking at a moderate pace works for me.

Replies

• I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    There are serious back problems (e.g. disk, joint or skeletal) that require medical attention to improve. But for many others (like my "long back") the problem is only a structural inclination to intense muscular lock-up. These latter are high-maintenance backs as compared with people naturally built lightly or like fire plugs who never have to worry. Lack of exercise (generally months of academic or professional deskwork) has set my back up for weeks of near paralysis, pain and gradual recovery, but the right exercise maintenance keeps it limber enough (like now) for ordinary daily activity and reasonably heavy resistance training or active cardio sessions. Good luck and hopefully better days ahead.
  • Joechuks01
    Joechuks01 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,

You can try some of these beginner exercises and see how you get on. Some of them strengthen your lower back and also target your core. It will be a good idea to try and build your core strength as this helps to stabilise your lower back A LOT !! Don't over push yourself and stop if you feel any pain. You may however need to 'push past the pain' if it is bearable but that is a personal decision. Good luck.

Check out the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT-7tFXtaEo

• MustangCassie
    MustangCassie Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have had one total knee replacement and two spinal surgeries. Covid made its appearance before I could have my second replacement and the third spinal surgery. I currently have to use a cane for stability in both the knee and lower back. If I exercise too much, I aggravate one site or sometimes both. I can not walk for long distances nor can I stand for extended time. I have found two YouTube sites that offer a variety of workouts that are seated or standing with chair support. I haven’t learned how to add links to MFP, former Sparkpeople user. Enter the name in the search on Youtube and the site should pop up, More Life Health Seniors and Hasfit. Best wishes for a healthier 2022.
  • alexandramosenson
    alexandramosenson Posts: 50 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I also was once in enough back pain I could not move. Buy The Back Mechanic by Stuart McGill and you must immediately start doing the Big 3 movements he recommends: birddog, hip bridge, and modified curl-up (though admittedly, i usually do the deadbug instead). These movements and the book are a go to for all back pain.