Protein shakes

Options
Can a healthy fat like part of an avocado or coconut oil buffer the insulin spike from a 100% when protein?

Replies

• makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Can fat be a part of a protein shake? Yes. I would ask why you are worried about an insulin spike?

This is my nightly protein "milkshake".

7c9knc6v0heo.jpg

I am still fat. Everytime we eat our insulin spikes. I am just trying to minimize it. I understand fat can be part of it. But I am curious if it acts as a buffer towards the whey isolate.

Learning as I go.

That protein drink looks mighty scrumptious.
  • makinlifehappen
    Options
    Can fat be a part of a protein shake? Yes. I would ask why you are worried about an insulin spike?

This is my nightly protein "milkshake".

7c9knc6v0heo.jpg

I am still fat. Everytime we eat our insulin spikes. I am just trying to minimize it. I understand fat can be part of it. But I am curious if it acts as a buffer towards the whey isolate.

Learning as I go.

That protein drink looks mighty scrumptious.

Dietary fat and fiber can slow nutrient absorption.

Let me state that I follow a ketogenic diet. You do not have to try to attenuate insulin. It will literally do nothing for fat loss, regardless if you are fat or fit. Energy balance, consistency and adherence are the only thing that matters. I do keto for the appetite suppressant capabilities.

Insulin will attenuate muscle protein breakdown. Protein, especially whey, will stimulate muscle protein synthesis. Having adequate protein on a diet is critical to protein balance and maintenance of muscle mass.

Keep it simple. We can get into more specifics if you like.

I am currently doing intermittent fasting, it was unintentional at first. I changed the foods I was eating, and when I was eating them. Just hungry less. I am not complaining.

Doesn't increased level of insulin block the body from using fat as an energy source?
    And if eating correctly and fasting correctly would increased HGH take care of the protein synthesis?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Insulin is supposed to rise when you eat, that's a normal and healthy bodily response and unless you have medical problems not something you need to try to avoid.

Unfortunately HGH doesn't do what it sounds like it should do from the name or what you think it should do, it doesn't actually build skeletal muscle.
    See link below.

Your fat loss is as a result of your long term calorie balance predominantly, I'm not seeing any benefit to you from you seeking to manipulate insulin and HGH to be honest.

https://www.biolayne.com/media/videos/educational/growth-hormone-does-not-grow-muscle/
  • makinlifehappen
    Options
    fair enough
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Insulin is supposed to rise when you eat, that's a normal and healthy bodily response and unless you have medical problems not something you need to try to avoid.

Unfortunately HGH doesn't do what it sounds like it should do from the name or what you think it should do, it doesn't actually build skeletal muscle.
    See link below.

Your fat loss is as a result of your long term calorie balance predominantly, I'm not seeing any benefit to you from you seeking to manipulate insulin and HGH to be honest.

https://www.biolayne.com/media/videos/educational/growth-hormone-does-not-grow-muscle/

Exactly. HGH mobilizes fatty acids into the blood stream. And as Alan Aragon always said, no one got jacked fasting.

To gain muscle, a person needs to evaluate protein balance. They needs more periods of protein synthesis vs protein breakdown. In other words positive protein balance. Ironically, there is some evidence that more frequent protein consumption (3-5 meals) is more optimal for muscle gains.

This is also considering that one has a adequate lifting program that hits body parts 2-3x a week with sufficient volume and adequate recovery.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why people get bothered by insulin spikes.

One eats food, insulin spikes in response to that to regulate one's blood sugar. That is good and normal

I would be more worried about insulin NOT spiking when it is meant to - and blood sugar not regulating down to normal - ie diabetes.

Some diabetics have to worry about artificial insulin spikes - ie they inject their insulin and do not eat enough food to balance with that and get low blood sugar drop (hypoglycemeia or hypo's)

Rest of us - really no need to worry about this
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you are worried about insulin spikes. Most people worry about sugar spiked from high glycemic index foods, (Which would then also produce insulin spikes). Whey protein should not be a big offender. Not like sugars, simple carbs, potatoes, etc. At any rate, eating fats at the same time will have minimal effect on how quickly the food is absorbed, or how quickly your blood sugar/insulin spikes. When sugars/carbs come really attached to fiber - as in natural fruits, etc it does slow absorption and decreased spikes, but it really needs to be really attached and incorporated in the matrix. Just mixing together, or even combining in a baked good doesn't really make a difference.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat anything, whether it's a snack or main meal, I make sure to get some kind of healthy carbs/fiber, healthy (or maybe not so healthy) fat, and a decent amount of protein. That's what helps keep me satiated.
  • russellholtslander1
    russellholtslander1 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    How do you measure Insulin? What it sounds like you are concerned about is blood sugar spikes.

Yes, a healthy person produces Insulin, and it gets glucose out of the blood.. into muscles, or stored as body fat.

We know Insulin is produced, but that is a response to glucose. You keep glucose low, and Insulin levels stat low. You eat lots of carbs, spike glucose, and the body produces lots of Insulin, and stores glycogen in muscles, then the rest of it as bodyfat.

That gets it out of the blood, which is good, since too much glucose is toxic. The problem is, if you continue eating lots of carbs, you keep storing fat, year after year.. so the healthy, normal process of Insulin doing it's job, ends up with negative results in the long term.. fat people get diseases.

It's kind of like gas in a car.. you race the engine, and more gas is injected, and you burn it off... BUT, if you run the car at 120 m.p.h. all the time, you will wear out the engine, and maybe blow the engine.

So while Insulin is there to handle a huge glucose spike, if your Grandpa takes you out for an ice cream sundae once a month as a kid.. it isn't meant to be operating at high levels ALL the time, which is why we are all wearing out our pancreas, and our cell receptors do not accept the glucose as easily.

You want to cover up the glucose spike, with fat, because you know fat doesn't spike glucose as much.

Would you think it was healthy to eat a 12 ozs steak, after consuming a banana split? No.

The body burns of ketones produced from breakdown of stored fat.. or glucose.

Your whey protein obviously spikes you blood sugar, which is you main concern.. so what you should be asking is why are you consuming whey protein?

Get the protein from steak, chicken, fish etc. Get your carbs from vegetables.. why drink a shake at all?

Insulin is the fat storing hormone.. it takes excess energy, and stores it as fat.. so if you are eating higher carb, and spiking glucose.. Insulin IS produced, but to deal with the glucose. It goes about storing the glucose as body fat, to get it out of the bloodstream.

So your body is STORING fat.. so it is not burning any fat.. it is burning glucose. Until you burn off the glucose, and deplete glycogen stores, your body won't burn any fat.. why would it, when glucose is available?

So adding fat, when you aren't burning fat, won't start yourself burning fat. The glucose will still spike, because avocado, doesn't bury the glucose you ate. That would be awesome.. we could eat crap all day, and eat a stick of butter before bed.

What you need to do, to burn bodyfat, is use up glucose, and deplete glycogen store, by reducing carbs.. and then the body starts burning body fat, and producing ketones, which your body uses as an alternative source of energy. When you DO eat carbs, the body will use the glucose created BEFORE burning off body fat.. it will burn alcohol, the glucose, THEN bodyfat/ketones last.

This is evolution at work. Stored bodyfat is the last source of energy. You eat and use that for energy. When we couldn't find food, we used the stored bodyfat, until we could find more food, and then we lived off that, and rebuilt fat stores.. which are supposed to be a lot less than most people have these days, since we don't have times without food usually.

There is no reason to store fat, since we won't be experiencing famine.. so eat less carbs, produce less glucose, so the body starts burning fat. Yes, the body will burn dietary fat that you eat at meals first, BUT, once that is used up, the body is burning fat already, and if you are fat like me, each lb. of fat is 3,500 calories.. you store a lb. of fat with every excess lb. of fat, but you also " consume " 3,500 calories, when you burn excess bodyfat too.. you release those calories. So if you eat 1500 calories, and burn 1/2 a lb. a day in bodyfat, you actually " consumed " 3,250 calories, which is why you aren't hungry, and why you weigh a lb. less after 2 days. Plus when you break down fat, you release water molecules, so you release water weight... which is why you experience rapid weight loss, and dehydration, which people call the low carb flu.. you need to drink more water, and replenish electrolytes.

Instead of trying to deal with lots of Insulin.. realize that the body produces it to deal with glucose, and just don't spike the glucose. Less glucose, less Insulin..

So your real problem is too much glucose. Avoid/limit what spikes the glucose. Problem solved.
  • makinlifehappen
    Options
    How do you measure Insulin? What it sounds like you are concerned about is blood sugar spikes.

Yes, a healthy person produces Insulin, and it gets glucose out of the blood.. into muscles, or stored as body fat.

We know Insulin is produced, but that is a response to glucose. You keep glucose low, and Insulin levels stat low. You eat lots of carbs, spike glucose, and the body produces lots of Insulin, and stores glycogen in muscles, then the rest of it as bodyfat.

That gets it out of the blood, which is good, since too much glucose is toxic. The problem is, if you continue eating lots of carbs, you keep storing fat, year after year.. so the healthy, normal process of Insulin doing it's job, ends up with negative results in the long term.. fat people get diseases.

It's kind of like gas in a car.. you race the engine, and more gas is injected, and you burn it off... BUT, if you run the car at 120 m.p.h. all the time, you will wear out the engine, and maybe blow the engine.

So while Insulin is there to handle a huge glucose spike, if your Grandpa takes you out for an ice cream sundae once a month as a kid.. it isn't meant to be operating at high levels ALL the time, which is why we are all wearing out our pancreas, and our cell receptors do not accept the glucose as easily.

You want to cover up the glucose spike, with fat, because you know fat doesn't spike glucose as much.

Would you think it was healthy to eat a 12 ozs steak, after consuming a banana split? No.

Your whey protein obviously spikes you blood sugar, which is you main concern.. so what you should be asking is why are you consuming whey protein?

Get the protein from steak, chicken, fish etc. Get your carbs from vegetables.. why drink a shake at all?

Insulin is the fat storing hormone.. it takes excess energy, and stores it as fat.. so if you are eating higher carb, and spiking glucose.. Insulin IS produced, but to deal with the glucose. It goes about storing the glucose as body fat, to get it out of the bloodstream.

So your body is STORING fat.. so it is not burning any fat.. it is burning glucose. Until you burn off the glucose, and deplete glycogen stores, your body won't burn any fat.. why would it, when glucose is available?

So adding fat, when you aren't burning fat, won't start yourself burning fat. The glucose will still spike, because avocado, doesn't bury the glucose you ate. That would be awesome.. we could eat crap all day, and eat a stick of butter before bed.

What you need to do, to burn bodyfat, is use up glucose, and deplete glycogen store, by reducing carbs.. and then the body starts burning body fat, and producing ketones, which your body uses as an alternative source of energy. When you DO eat carbs, the body will use the glucose created BEFORE burning off body fat.. it will burn alcohol, the glucose, THEN bodyfat/ketones last.

This is evolution at work. Stored bodyfat is the last source of energy. You eat and use that for energy. When we couldn't find food, we used the stored bodyfat, until we could find more food, and then we lived off that, and rebuilt fat stores.. which are supposed to be a lot less than most people have these days, since we don't have times without food usually.

There is no reason to store fat, since we won't be experiencing famine.. so eat less carbs, produce less glucose, so the body starts burning fat. Yes, the body will burn dietary fat that you eat at meals first, BUT, once that is used up, the body is burning fat already, and if you are fat like me, each lb. of fat is 3,500 calories.. you store a lb. of fat with every excess lb. of fat, but you also " consume " 3,500 calories, when you burn excess bodyfat too.. you release those calories. So if you eat 1500 calories, and burn 1/2 a lb. a day in bodyfat, you actually " consumed " 3,250 calories, which is why you aren't hungry, and why you weigh a lb. less after 2 days. Plus when you break down fat, you release water molecules, so you release water weight... which is why you experience rapid weight loss, and dehydration, which people call the low carb flu.. you need to drink more water, and replenish electrolytes.

Instead of trying to deal with lots of Insulin.. realize that the body produces it to deal with glucose, and just don't spike the glucose. Less glucose, less Insulin..

So your real problem is too much glucose. Avoid/limit what spikes the glucose. Problem solved.

Not cover it up, just buffer it if it does produce a spike. My current whey protein is zero carbs and sugar with 1 gram of fat and 25 grams of protein. How much the protein increases insulin levels are what I am trying to address.

I need the 25g of protein as I usually work out 5 days a week trying to build a larger physique while getting rid of the rest of my unwanted fat. According to MFP even when I have two healthy sized portions of meat I am still lacking on my protein. Even after consuming a shake I am still not to the "goal" but closer.

My current breakdown for macros is 10% carbs, 30% protein and 60% fat. Not hard to stick to with about half dozen eggs, leafy greens and my protein shake.

Any carbs I do consume are burned off with IF hopefully so when I am working out at least in the morning it should be all fat as fuel.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Carbs very, very rarely get stored as body fat - apart from a calorie surplus you would also need pretty massive and prolonged carb over-feeding. Dietary fat is preferentially stored as fat as there's little metabolic cost from conversion. Think Layne Norton gave a figure of 98% of body fat actually originates from dietary fat.

IF doesn't burn off your carbs. Your glycogen reserves in muscle and liver are precious reserves, especially for people who exercise intensely. As an adult male you may well have around 2,000 cals of glycogen compared to massive reserves of calories as body fat. That c. 2,000 is plenty to see you through your periods of IF unless you are training for hours and hours at a pretty high intensity.
    If someone succeeds in burning off their glycogen that's known as hitting the wall (running) or bonking (cycling). It's an absolutely awful experience that you really want to avoid!

Carbs and fat are not used sequentially as many people seem to think, they are used at the same time in varying proportions, with your actvity/exercise being the predominant factor for the particular substrate proportion used at any particular time.
    e.g. sleeping is the highest proportion of fat burned, very intense exercise is the highest proportion of carbs being used for fuel. Personally when tested in a lab while cycling 130bpm was about the point that carbs started to overtake fat as fuel.
    "Start burning fat" is one of those phrases that gets thrown around but is false, you are burning fat 24 x 7 and have been since the day you were born. It is normal and doesn't need nurturing. We wouldn't store the vast majority of excess energy as fat if it was so difficult to access.
    What you are seeking to achieve is tipping the balance between fat storage and body fat depletion and it's your calorie balance that does that.

Practical example yesterday: I did a 2.5 hour unfed cycle ride yesterday mostly in zone 2 and zone 3.
    Over half of my 1,100+ (net) calorie expenditure would have come from fat at that low/moderate intensity level.

• psuLemon
    edited January 2022
    Options

Not cover it up, just buffer it if it does produce a spike. My current whey protein is zero carbs and sugar with 1 gram of fat and 25 grams of protein. How much the protein increases insulin levels are what I am trying to address.

I need the 25g of protein as I usually work out 5 days a week trying to build a larger physique while getting rid of the rest of my unwanted fat. According to MFP even when I have two healthy sized portions of meat I am still lacking on my protein. Even after consuming a shake I am still not to the "goal" but closer.

My current breakdown for macros is 10% carbs, 30% protein and 60% fat. Not hard to stick to with about half dozen eggs, leafy greens and my protein shake.

Any carbs I do consume are burned off with IF hopefully so when I am working out at least in the morning it should be all fat as fuel.

I wouldn't listen to what most of what the poster states as there is a lot of misinformation.

First, carbs rarely store as fat. That is an unequivocally fact. You can look at overfeed studies and look at the conversion rates via de novo lipogenesis. Its like 3% when overfeed by 1000 calories. The fact is dietary fat doesn't need insulin to get stored in adipose. It directly stores.

You burn body fat via a calorie deficit. You can do that on a low carb or high carb diet. You store nutrients in adipose when you overfeed. What stores most is dietary fat, then carbs, the protein.

Also, too much of any nutrient is bad for you. Saying its just glucose of myopic and alarmist in nature. For example, there is still strong evidence a diet high in SFA can increase CVD, but many keto zealots will argue against it.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Carbs very, very rarely get stored as body fat - apart from a calorie surplus you would also need pretty massive and prolonged carb over-feeding. Dietary fat is preferentially stored as fat as there's little metabolic cost from conversion. Think Layne Norton gave a figure of 98% of body fat actually originates from dietary fat.

IF doesn't burn off your carbs. Your glycogen reserves in muscle and liver are precious reserves, especially for people who exercise intensely. As an adult male you may well have around 2,000 cals of glycogen compared to massive reserves of calories as body fat. That c. 2,000 is plenty to see you through your periods of IF unless you are training for hours and hours at a pretty high intensity.
    If someone succeeds in burning off their glycogen that's known as hitting the wall (running) or bonking (cycling). It's an absolutely awful experience that you really want to avoid!

Carbs and fat are not used sequentially as many people seem to think, they are used at the same time in varying proportions, with your actvity/exercise being the predominant factor for the particular substrate proportion used at any particular time.
    e.g. sleeping is the highest proportion of fat burned, very intense exercise is the highest proportion of carbs being used for fuel. Personally when tested in a lab while cycling 130bpm was about the point that carbs started to overtake fat as fuel.
    "Start burning fat" is one of those phrases that gets thrown around but is false, you are burning fat 24 x 7 and have been since the day you were born. It is normal and doesn't need nurturing. We wouldn't store the vast majority of excess energy as fat if it was so difficult to access.
    What you are seeking to achieve is tipping the balance between fat storage and body fat depletion and it's your calorie balance that does that.

Practical example yesterday: I did a 2.5 hour unfed cycle ride yesterday mostly in zone 2 and zone 3.
    Over half of my 1,100+ (net) calorie expenditure would have come from fat at that low/moderate intensity level.

It's awesome how we both post similar information within a minute of each other. Last information i had on overfeeds with de novo lipogenesis rates was maxed at 3%. And i can pretty much guarantee most aren't overfeeding at those rates.

• makinlifehappen
    Options

I wouldn't listen to what most of what the poster states as there is a lot of misinformation.

First, carbs rarely store as fat. That is an unequivocally fact. You can look at overfeed studies and look at the conversion rates via de novo lipogenesis. Its like 3% when overfeed by 1000 calories. The fact is dietary fat doesn't need insulin to get stored in adipose. It directly stores.

You burn body fat via a calorie deficit. You can do that on a low carb or high carb diet. You store nutrients in adipose when you overfeed. What stores most is dietary fat, then carbs, the protein.

Also, too much of any nutrient is bad for you. Saying its just glucose of myopic and alarmist in nature. For example, there is still strong evidence a diet high in SFA can increase CVD, but many keto zealots will argue against it.

You are suggesting that you have read all of my posts. "Most".

If you have a problem with them delete them.

I won't create anymore. Not here to be confrontational. Here to get help losing weight.
    Thanks.
  • psuLemon
    Options

You are suggesting that you have read all of my posts. "Most".

If you have a problem with them delete them.

I won't create anymore. Not here to be confrontational. Here to get help losing weight.
    Thanks.

Sorry, but that wasn't against your post. I was letting you know the person you quoted didn't have correct information. I have no issues with your post.
  • makinlifehappen
    Options
    well I will just try to take my food out of my mouth later...
    Apologies.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    well I will just try to take my food out of my mouth later...
    Apologies.

No worries man. I can see how it could have been misinterpreted. I just want you to have accurate information. I personally follow a cyclical ketogenic diet with protein higher than most keto'ers (1g/lb of weight) as i am trying to maintain muscle on my cut.

It's why I am stressing that you don't need to worry about protein or its insulin impact. Insulin can rise and fall through your day but it won't have an impact on fat loss.

Btw, if you are looking to gain muscle while losing fat, than some additional carbs and protein are beneficial.