Kettlebell Workouts - Calories Burned?

Options
I just bought the Danskin Kettlebell (5 pounds) and it came with the Gin Miller's Calorie Burning Kettlebell Workout dvd.

According to their webite they use a estimate of 10 calories burned per minute of workout. I did workup quite a sweat but have a hard time accepting that I burned that many calories. The dvd workout has 7 mins warming up, then 37 minutes working out and another 6 mins cooling down and stretching.

I figured that I would log only the 37 mintues of actual working out so that would be 370 calories burned.

Do you think this would be accurate?

Replies

• KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I easily burn 350-390 calories in 35-40 mins walk run interval training with my HRM so if you are sweating good and feel HR is up probably accurate or more burn depending on your weight
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    I think it is okay. I am doing kettlebell workouts as well and I read the same about kettlebells. I do only 20 min a day tho :)
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the type of workout. I've been doing KettleWorX for five weeks now, and have worm my HRM for every session. I've burned as much as 240 calories during one workout and as little as 80 during another -- and all of the sessions are the sane length, 26 minutes from start to finish, including warm up/cool down.

I'd suggest using a HRM if you have one, or getting one if you don't :)
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories burned depend more on how much you weigh and not the weight of the kettlebell (KB) so I don't know if I am understanding how you are calculating your calories burned or not.

The way I resolve this dilemma is to log it as 'circuit training' in MFP. KB workouts are mostly circuit training (where the goal is to do as many reps of one exercise in 60 seconds and then quickly switch to the next one without a rest), so I accept it as such and the calories calculated for me.

I do love my KB workouts! I have seen awesome results and know that you will, too!

Cheers!
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories burned depend more on how much you weigh and not the weight of the kettlebell (KB) so I don't know if I am understanding how you are calculating your calories burned or not.

The way I resolve this dilemma is to log it as 'circuit training' in MFP. KB workouts are mostly circuit training (where the goal is to do as many reps of one exercise in 60 seconds and then quickly switch to the next one without a rest), so I accept it as such and the calories calculated for me.

I do love my KB workouts! I have seen awesome results and know that you will, too!

Cheers!

When I put in the mins as circuit training general it actually comes out a few more calories burned so I think I will stick with the 10 cals/min. Thanks for the tip!
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for our input!
  • 5tony5
    5tony5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'M A CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR. YES, YOU BURN THAT MANY CALORIES. YOU SHOULD BE MOVING UP IN WEIGHT THOUGHT AND....ATTEND A CLASS RUN BY A CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR. ATTEND AT LEAST A FEW FOR SAFETY AND MAXIMUM BENEFIT. THERE'S A LOT AND I MEAN A LOT YOU DON'T GET FROM A VIDEO. KEEP WORKING OUT....
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 162 lbs and I burn according to my HRM 419 calories in 51 minutes of kettelbells using a 15 lb. kettelbell and the same gal's DVD that came with my bell. It kicks your butt!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Danskin Kettlebell (5 pounds) and it came with the Gin Miller's Calorie Burning Kettlebell Workout dvd.

According to their webite they use a estimate of 10 calories burned per minute of workout. I did workup quite a sweat but have a hard time accepting that I burned that many calories. The dvd workout has 7 mins warming up, then 37 minutes working out and another 6 mins cooling down and stretching.

I figured that I would log only the 37 mintues of actual working out so that would be 370 calories burned.

Do you think this would be accurate?

Be careful, that weight is far too light. Kettlebells that light are not meant for actual workouts but more for physical therapy purposes. Attempting to go through a conventional kettlebell workout with one that light will make it impossible to get proper form during the more dynamic movements as key muscle groups won't be activated during the movement. It is recommended that women start out with no less than an 8kg (approx. 17.5 lb) kettlebell and move up from there.