Only a few days left of 2021...How'd you do?

Options
So what goals did you have? Did you hit them? Did you hit them so hard because you DIDN'T hit them? :)

I actually gained .4 lbs. (Yeah, you saw that right and NO I'm not freaking out. :p) It's just funny and weird because I mostly maintained between 102-104 for the year but it steadily climbed during December. I blame it on the Sees Candy that basically no one but me ate.

Sooooooooo started the year off at 105 and ended it (pre next Saturday weigh in) at 105.4.

No, wait. The 31st is Friday and I log my weight on Saturdays so...105.4 it is!

Otherwise, I still have a job (just waiting for that shoe to drop) and haven't gotten hit by a car so that's good! :)

Replies

• metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight this year but I don't mind -- I know I can get to a more comfortable place with my body as I deal with the emotional aspects that this year brought. I am glad I have a stronger community around me at the end of 2021. 2022 looks like it's full of supportive people in my life...finally. I have to say, I am looking forward to the new year and curious about what it brings!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    My goal was to lose another 10 kg and I've hit that and reached my initial goal weight so I'm happy. Just bonus weight to lose next year.
  • JenKindo
    JenKindo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Can't get to the end of 2021 fast enough. I gained 20-ish # so look forward to getting back(or better yet!) finding a new routine to feel healthier and more engaged with life again. Lots of sad stressful things happened and I will put those behind me, start anew and be grateful for all the good I have in my life. Plus my downfall(looking back) was night time eating. If I absolutely find I need something at night, out of habit, it'll be a piece of fruit, not 300-400 calories worth of yogurt and peanut butter. :(

I need to find a spark to grab me out of my all-too-comfortable comfort zone and just do it. DD and I went snow-shoeing while she was here for Christmas and I realized how beautiful a winter wonderland can be. Almost magical and peaceful....something I need to lose myself in more, instead of wrapping myself into a cocoon of isolation in my home, bored, thinking negatively, etc., etc.

I'm waiting for someone to engage in my life with me and I'm got to stop depending on others for that.
    :#

Ch ch ch changes.......

I felt that in my core. I've got to start making that effort too.

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Best wishes and hope for better things in 2022 to everyone who went through such hard times and grief this year. Tough times. Tougher for some than others.

On the wellness front, I did better in 2020 than 2021. Normally I have a few prolonged spikes in intake here and there (with corresponding weight bumps), but I'm able to compensate and average out to maintenance. Sometimes it seems like more effort than it should be (ALWAYS worth the effort though). With so much of 2020 locked down with no eating out or travel, it was easier to avoid the normal splurges and keep it all steadier than my norm. That is my long term goal: to lean into those habits and attitudes that make it feel like I'm treading a little lighter, working a little less and living a little more.

Best wishes for health and happiness in 2022, in whatever wrapping has meaning for you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    What is this "goals" thing of which y'all speak? I don't really do goals, and a vehemently don't do New Years resolutions**.

So, I'm in maintenance, have been for 6+ years. In October 2019, I started a process of (re-) losing a few vanity pounds within the healthy BMI range, because my jeans were getting a little snug (with my long john bottoms on, and we need those here). I decided to be super slow, because a substantial deficit sounded grim. That process extended into 2020 and early 2021.

Here's a thing I find hilarious: On December 28, 2020, Libra says I weighed 125.6 pounds. When I looked it up yesterday, December 28, 2021, I weighed 125.6 pounds. (Why hilarious? Because my weight meanders up and down a few pounds, like 2-3 routinely, sometimes up to 5 pounds, just within any given week, when I'm on average weight stable. Over the year, it's been everything in the zone between 122 and 130.2, randomly. Same exact weight one year ago to the day? Hilarious.)

Other than that:

* I did lots of fun activities, and a few less fun but good-for-me ones. Garmin says I have 94,951 calories from intentional exercise since this time last year. That includes 358 miles of on-water rowing (very fun), 385 miles of cycling (fun), 401 miles of intentional walks for exercise/health (moderately fun), 40 hours of machine rowing (not all that fun), 33 hours of indoor cycling (ditto), 25 hours of strength training/floor exercises (emphatically not fun, but good for me).

* I did not do well with my ongoing efforts to learn to play bluegrass banjo. I broke a string, got frustrated trying to tune from scratch without help from my musician buddy (my ear, even with a tuner app, s*cks), set it aside.

* I had a bunch of vision problems, a couple of eye surgeries/procedures, and didn't accomplish much on the crafts or arts-play front (mostly because of discouragement about the vision, or because unmotivated, not because I strictly couldn't).

* My house is untidier and more cluttered than ever, because I live alone and don't care.

* I propagated and/or divided a bunch of house plants, gave some away, need to find homes for other baby ones or toss them. An ivy and a hoya became window treatments, and I'm fine with that. Several orchids bloomed, including one that never bloomed before.

* I cooked a lot of stuff, some of it good, and tried some new veggies and fruits. To support that, I grew some annual herbs in addition to the perennial ones that live out in my garden.

* I did most of the other things I needed to do for adequate adulting. (For someone nearly devoid of motivation or discipline for doing tedious things, that's a victory.) Since I'm retired, that didn't include paid employment.

That's it, that I can think of, for 2021.

** (I tend to make life changes when they feel ripe, not at a particular calendar point - works better for me. I'm not saying others should feel this way at all, but for me New Years resolutions feels like getting on a slope in a surging crowd of people, a few of whom will successfully run up a slope ahead and hit a new peak, while the majority get jostled by the crowd, run like crazy, and crash off a cliff onto the rocks along about the end of January to mid-February, if not sooner. I can catch that "just taking a little break" or "I deserve a treat" impulse that underlies that as a bit of social contagion, and it doesn't help me. Willpower, discipline, etc., are not my long suit.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I didn't really have any goals for 2021 except continuing to lose weight and reach a normal BMI. I was only 5lbs away from that at the start of 2021, so I reached that goal and decided to keep on going, since I still felt too 'flabby'.
    I ended up losing 17.5lbs this year which actually surprises me to see that now: it felt like super slow losses that in my mind didn't really add up to much.

A very vague goal I had was to improve my running. I ended up burning nearly 45000 calories this year, 755km. I increased my mileage and speed considerably the past months, using Runalyze, and was finally able to run a full hour at 8kph (which in my mind was the threshold to make me a 'real' runner).

Not an explicit goal, but it was a very active year for me: aside from the running, 310km of hiking (20000kcal) and 105hrs (18000 calories) of strength training and indoor rowing, and a daily average of 14500 steps per day. That is night and day compared to my activity level pre weight loss.

Other accomplishments:
    - I found a new job and needed only three job interviews to do it (last time it took me two YEARS, my weight and lack of confidence back then may have had something to do with it...)
    - a general sense of being (physically) normal (not attracting attention in a crowd by being larger than average), worthwhile and having accomplished something

Potential for improvement:
    - more regular strength training and a better routine
    - being more tidy, both physically (clutter, laundry,...) and with my electronic files and devices
    - getting back to jewelry making - my workshop is disorganized and has been sitting idle for years.
    - getting back to writing, or at the very least reading books again
    - related to the previous points: doing other things with my spare time than working out and watching TV
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I wasn't really in fitness mode or making resolutions last Jan -- I was in a fairly good place health and nutrition wise at that time, but I have let it slide through the year. So, now I AM hitting the new year with resolutions. Just got my cholesterol checked and it is up. So number 1 goal is healthier eating and exercise to keep that down and stay off statins. And committing to checking every 3 months to keep me accountable. Also am 30 lbs over my ideal. My goal is to loose the weight in the next 4 - 5 months, and KEEP IT OFF till next year so that I am not making the same resolution a year from now.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm within 1 pound of my 2021 goal weight and on target to hit my final goal in March. I feel soooo much better!
  • matt9712
    matt9712 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My goals were to hit 200 BW and squat 455. I'm at 204-205 BW and have hit 435... So didn't hit exactly what I wanted but that just means gotta go after 2022 strong now 💪
  • makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I didn't have goals until the end of July. Coming off a bad couple years.
    Once I found a gym routine that I was able to be consistent with and started seeing results I gave it a few months and decided I don't want to be muscular/fat.

So long as the scale keeps going down I don't have any real complaints
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    On the 21st it was the 2 year anniversary of my week long stay at club med. On 1/16 it will be 2 year anniversary when I started the new lifestyle. It is going pretty good. I managed to loose another 45 lbs this year. Will hopefully be in maintenance and looking at adding a few lbs of muscle in 2022. I do consider myself a full time jogger now and may start considering myself a runner over this coming year. So didn’t have a goal per say, but just to keep going what I started is what it has come down to. You all have a great new year.
  • monrl
    monrl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Down 15 overall - I lost 25, but slowly gained 10 back since September. I learned a lot about what works for me - looking forward to getting back on track!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    2021 was a mixed bag for me
    Started ok, still losing slowly from 2020
    Hiking in summer I had an accident. Slipped landing hard on rock so had to scale back exercise
    My relationship turned more and more abusive and I slipped back into eating my feelings and hardly left the house

I've ended the year 5lb up from January 1st but that's because I hopped back on 27th December and am down 8lb of water weight

2022 I need to get out and hike more, my mental health is much better when I do and I'm hoping to drop some more weight along the way

I have an appointment with rheumatology next week, hopefully they can help with the joint pain and swelling I've been dealing with for a decade, always brushed off with the "your fat, lose weight" but after bloods end of October I ended up with an urgent referral....... No ones told me why yet but so long as I can get some help and get back to longer hikes I don't care