Starting again at 50!

Options
Hi, I am starting over, and could do with few more friends, (around my age of 50)
My younger friends are fabulous, and so grateful to have their support & continued encouragement, but they are not yet experiencing the joys of being perimenopausal, or menopausal, which does bring added complications, when trying to battle the middle age spread, It feels almost like I am making up the issues I have encountered in last few years... Lack of energy, feeling emotional, for no good reason. Anxiety, & Depression has got worse. Having no drive or interest in anything, & over eating. Aches and pains, in joints. etc..
I seem to have aged so fast, and suddenly.. Only 2 years ago Pre-COVID, When we had the odd occasion, to dress up and go out for the evening, I still felt and looked like me.... Now I look in the mirror & there's my Grandma looking back at me! My make up style, no longer looks how it did, no matter how long I stand there trying to get it right. Never was my strong point. I am not into all the girly things but i used to feel, I looked ok.
My long straight hair is more course, unless i dye it. Then it's soft for few days.. I've changed the colour to golden brown recently, to blend in my grays, but rest is dark- Medium brown.. (Tried caramel, honey hi & low lights, but the up keep was too much for me & the cost put me off too..) Most people seem to think i should cut it short, but i have hidden behind it for 40 odd years, only ever had it less than shoulder length once in my whole life, when i was 13 years old and i hated it.. ( it's currently 3inches above my waist band.. ) My nails are brittle, which i did put down to biting them for nearly 30years. varnishes & gels won't stay on it peels off, been told its due to oils from my nail bed? .

Sorry for the ramble but once I started typing, I didn't think I was gonna stop.. til i saw the time.. (00:15.. ) Best go bed.. Thanks for taking the time to read this.. Good Night..

Replies

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Hi, there! Sounds great that you’re back and working towards your weight loss goals. May I suggest setting up an appointment with your doctor, if you haven’t had one on a year or so? It sounds like you’re struggling with a number of physical and emotional concerns (both real in perimenopause). Just a thought. I wish you well.
  • crispaholicshaz
    crispaholicshaz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you MaggieGirl135, just realized it's been 4 years since my last check up.. Getting in to see the Gp is a battle of it's own, even b4 Covid, but since it's all talking to triage, sending pics, phone calls and video chats.. Not great for those whom prefer to be face to face, can't hear well.. but will try...
  • AlanM_1974
    AlanM_1974 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 47 (48 next month) Feel free to add me! 😁
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    @crispaholicshaz good for you for hanging in!

Karma is a *kitten*. Let it sit over his shoulder while you go create some new, positive of your own. You’re worth more than that. Don’t get sucked back in.
  • akravenady907
    akravenady907 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    howdy I am well over 50 but they say I still look younger. took a terrible fall on my porch a month ago. the temp was neg 80 and I ran out no coat or hat or gloves and ice patch and fell so hard. late no one to call. dog phone inside. decision freeze on my porch. not best finish to an colorful life. first anger using all world I know. then I God I need some help here. suddenly I felt a warmth thru my body, enough to Crowl to my kitchen and pull up from chair .. nothing broken but pain center in ankle and back. pinched nerve in.back. I guess the weight gain did impacted the fall. in physical therapy and taking control.. fitness pall was so helpful make me accountful of food intake and exercise.
  • springlering62
    Options
    @akravenady907 well, you win the “why I decided to lose” challenge. Good lord!!!! That was a scary scary wake up call.
  • springlering62
    Options
    pgronzo wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a 50 year old Male. Married with 3 adult kids (one still at home, lol). I obviously am not going through the pre menopausal stuff. But, am dealing with all kinds of medical issues (under control with meds)...Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure. And huge lack of energy. But am on the same path to look at my old self in the mirror and not what I see right now. I think this website is great. I originally signed on quite a few years ago and didn't stick with it. Definitely more motivated now. Here's to sticking to it, shedding the additional pounds and liking our reflection again! :smiley:

My 66 year old husband started in late August. He’s already lost 25+ pounds and a clothing size. He’s same as you- diabetes and HBP.

I can already see the energy difference shedding 25 has made. He’s doing more, more likely to jump up and say “I’ll walk with you!”, and just seems to be happier.

Just stick it out for the first month or two and it does get easier.
  • crispaholicshaz
    crispaholicshaz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    akravenady907. oh bless ya. that mush of been awful.. glad it turned out ok.. good luck with your journey.. x
  • springlering62
    Options
    How’s it going, @crispaholicshaz ? Settling in and making sense of it all yet?
  • akravenady907
    akravenady907 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    m
    Morning! I am80 and ready to begin again. NEVER TOO LATE!!!