Pahla B - 5-0 Method

Options
I just stumbled across Pahla B and her 5-0 Method - has anyone used her method? It really just talks about eating as close to the exact amount of calories calculated to lose weight every day (more than MFP says for me), working out moderately every day, drinking enough water, getting enough sleep and working on mindset. Sounds pretty good to me as a woman in her 50s with belly fat to lose - anyone have success?

Replies

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    and this is different to MFP or any other weight loss idea why?
  • susiemcmac
    susiemcmac Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Her stuff is free (although there is a paid option). I think I'm more curious about the "moderate" exercise. I feel like I work out hard - 4-5 times a week for about an hour - and notice it's harder for me to recover or I'm much more "sore" than I was in my 30s and 40s. Wondering if "moderate" is enough.
  • JaneGSN2
    JaneGSN2 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I hate to jump into another groups chatting...

But @debrag12 you have signed up for BLC48 and are on the Resolute Renegades team and I have been trying to reach you (we start the challenge Wed Jan 5th, but don't worry you can jump in a little late).

Please friend me (there seems to be a problem with MFP messages going to people who are not friends already), send me an MFP message, and come join our chat thread at: BLC48 Renegades chat thread

Sorry everyone else for the interruption.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    susiemcmac wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Her stuff is free (although there is a paid option). I think I'm more curious about the "moderate" exercise. I feel like I work out hard - 4-5 times a week for about an hour - and notice it's harder for me to recover or I'm much more "sore" than I was in my 30s and 40s. Wondering if "moderate" is enough.

It depends on what you mean by “enough” and “moderate”. Without being pedantic, your moderate may well be someone else’s hard! There are a few things to unpack here: if you’re concerned mostly with recovery but want to keep the volume then you could consider fewer but longer sessions (no idea what you do so that might not be feasible). Or you could change things up to do some harder sessions 2-3 times a week and gentle sessions 1-2 times. You may also need to look at your diet - personally I find my recovery is slower if I don’t get enough protein. So on heavy lifting days I will max out my protein but not be as obsessive on rest days (probably not scientific but works for me!).

So ultimately you need to decide what you want to achieve, how many sessions you would like to do and how much being sore affects you. I’m 47 so I totally understand the longer recovery time - I’ve definitely had to do fewer sessions each week to recover, but they are usually longer so that I can still hit my personal aims.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    Apparently this Pahla chick isn't familiar with, or totally disregards actual science:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34385400/

Or, another perfectly logical explanation is that she is aware of the science and is perfectly happy to lie to you to get your money.

Hmmm.

Not really seeing the appeal, regardless of which way you slice it...

How so?

from what is described in OP, her program sounds based on reasonable premises and not really that different from MFP or other sensible weight loss systems.

Sure ,there is probably a bit of fancying up to appeal to a target demographic (in this case women over 50) as there is with all programs wanting you to buy something you could access otherwise for free (no different to MFP wanting me to upgrade to premium, for example) - but not seeing where the unawareness of science or lying comes in.

• Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I did lose about 15 lbs following Pahla B’s 5-0 method. I focused on calorie counting as I do in mfp and almost daily moderate exercise. I just stuck with it and had good results. Then I stopped for some reason and have been struggling to lose much. I think it just gave me structure and I knew if I followed it I would lose weight. I have just started up with it again since my gym closed. Covid! Hoping to continue with my weight loss. I think if you’re looking to make big gains in fitness it’s not going to help that much but if your goal is to lose weight it’s worth a try.
  • makattack220
    makattack220 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi @susiemcmac - wanted to weigh in as someone who actually is familiar with Pahla's method like @Kupla71. (Not that there aren't some good contributions from others above...) I'd echo what @Kupla71 said. I found Pahla in March 2021 and did her program for 3 months and lost 15lbs. I'm not over 50 and not menopausal. I was exercising and logging before I started with her method. Pahla says openly this works for anyone and yes, all her resources are free (excepting her paid personal coaching group - but what certified coach isn't charging for personal coaching...?). No, this is nothing new but she simplifies it. The reason I liked Pahla was because it was different than the "move more, eat less" that I kept taking to extremes and that wasn't working. Pahla just sticks to the basics: stick to your calorie budget, drink enough water, get enough sleep, move your body daily, and do the mindset work. A lot of people on here clearly know "the basics" but some of us need reminders or to see it simply laid out together in a way that makes sense. As soon as I started eating enough calories, doing a daily moderate workout and sleeping/drinking water, weight started immediately coming off. It plateaued out a bit but then once I started actually doing the mindset work, my weight started moving again. Her podcasts really helped me with the unhealthy mindset I had towards my body. Her workouts are good, stackable if needed, free and she encourages modifying to make sure you're doing "moderate for you." (As someone with knee and hip issues I appreciate that you don't have to do lots of lunges or roll around on the floor...) She also talks about mindset work during the workouts. I'm not into frou-frou stuff but I seriously didn't realize I was trying to shame myself into losing weight and I needed help to see that. Now I know that I needed to work on my mindset just as much as my eating/workout habits. I lost a loved one in June and stopped logging in MFP and following the basics for a few months as I struggled with the loss. Once I got myself together, I started back to Pahla's basics and I also tried Noom thinking I really needed a coach (it didn't work for me, I can share more with you on that if you want). I had gained a lot of the weight back but now I'm losing weight again. Is her method different/new/innovative? No, but isn't that why it works? It's just putting the basics together and focusing on mindset work. I think using MFP to log and using the basics and free resources Pahla offers is a great combo. Wish you the best with your fitness journey! Feel free to message/friend me if you'd like.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    Apparently this Pahla chick isn't familiar with, or totally disregards actual science:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34385400/

Or, another perfectly logical explanation is that she is aware of the science and is perfectly happy to lie to you to get your money.

Hmmm.

Not really seeing the appeal, regardless of which way you slice it...

How so?

from what is described in OP, her program sounds based on reasonable premises and not really that different from MFP or other sensible weight loss systems.

Sure ,there is probably a bit of fancying up to appeal to a target demographic (in this case women over 50) as there is with all programs wanting you to buy something you could access otherwise for free (no different to MFP wanting me to upgrade to premium, for example) - but not seeing where the unawareness of science or lying comes in.

I get where Banx is coming from: The marketing is pretty eye-roll-y. Quote from Pahla B's main web page:
    Weight loss is different for women of a “certain age” and the ways we used to eat and exercise don’t work anymore!

My friend, I’ve got the knowledge you need.

If one cuts her a little slack for needing some kind of "I've got the magic" marketing hook, it's not 100% grievous IMO.

Reading between the lines even on that main page, there's a flavor of "most of us have long done kind of dumb stuff to lose weight, and we got away with it when we were higher-resilience young'uns, but these days we can't afford that punitive nonsense, plus it's more likely to be counterproductive".

From what little I can tell without doing the program (not my jam), the program itself looks reasonable, and is free.

Also, read that study Banx linked. It's encouraging, a good counter to the "age is doom" nonsense in the diet/fitness blogosphere.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Options
    oh I dont think age is doom and I dont have any intention of doing Pahla's program myself

Ann you are basically saying same as me - apart from the magic hook or what I called the fancying up to appeal to your target demographic - the program itself seems quite reasonable.

Even more so since reading makattack's well presented experience of doing it.

so, in short, it is just basic stuff but presented in a way that resonates with some people

Sounds reasonable.
  • amwiggler
    amwiggler Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hi, I found out about Pahla through a MyFitnessPal group. Very much at appropriate weight and an athletic person until menopause, then gained 30 pounds in 5 years despite best efforts and have been fighting to lose (with various techniques) for the past 3 years - max loss 12 pounds which I always gained back (about 3 times). Pahla is not my style, but I started her at the beginning of December and am steadily losing a pound a week. Per Happy Scale, I have not been better than @ .7 a week for the past year or two. Here’s what I think works for me - she is clear that it is about calories in period. Period. No eating back exercise, no carrying calories over days, no special food, macros, anything. Strip it down and focus on weight loss if that’s what you want. Eat the same thing every day (whatever you like on target for calories). I basically copy each day into the next and adjust here and there for different meals (when I do mix it up, like dinner), but I am within 25 calories of the 5-0 calculated goal every day. So far, every single day. It’s about 500 calories more than I ever set in my earlier efforts, and about 500 more than mfp recommends but I do not subtract exercise either - I just eat to that goal. For me, keeping it to just that - hit the calorie goal and don’t worry about anything else - seems to be making it more manageable. Agree with all of the perspectives posted, but I think all the “do this AND do that” of the other programs got me off balance. Getting down to the core - calories in - has helped me a lot.
  • 78dvtmpg7m
    78dvtmpg7m Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started a couple of days ago and feel like her method is what I need to stay on track. For someone who was always a steady weight for most of my life, then hit menopause, I just keep gaining weight even with using mfp. With hormone/estrogen imbalance she gives you the science also behind what is happening at this life stage. Her motivation, low intensity and thoughtful and so many free workouts are very helpful.