Should you track you day to day actions, even to a degree by hours by hours?

Well okay I'm 21 years old I'm a full time student, so there is not a lot of room for myself. I'm able to track what I do day-day by using Excel, and so far its going great! I feel everyone should do this even if your busy, and to keep it real it doesn't take long. Only the first log take a little time, since you program Excel page how you want. What is your take on this reader? Would this be a waste of time, or do you think it would help you keep track of everything day-day hours-hours?

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,479 Member
    LMFAO. 21-year old full time student thinking he's some sort of life management guru.

Bruh. Please. When you work 60+ hour weeks, have children, a spouse, a household/property to maintain, and a plethora of other time-sucking commitments, maybe we can chat.

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Why?
    What do you want to use hour-by-hour data for?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I don't really see the point in tracking every single little thing you do day to day and hour to hour. Seems pretty OCD to me.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Check out the Fitbit app “life cycle” will do this for you
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    To achieve what purpose that can't be achieved with averaging out your activity?

To achieve what purpose that can't be achieved by logging your exercise into MFP, Strava, Garmin or a plethora of more convenient tools with automated analytics?

As you asked - it sounds like a waste of time that could be spent doing something more productive and physically active.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Hour by hour might be difficult to maintain. However, I think daily isn't a bad idea. Historically many people kept a daily diary/journal of their lives. Nowadays, I think many people keep a version on social media.

I would highly recommend this concerning work. It's so much easier to find records of things and write up your 6 mo or yearly performance (and resume) when you keep records. It's also great if there's ever a question about your work to have records (which can happen to even the best employees).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    In the past, during my working life, I've logged what I was doing during my work day, basically making a quick note each time I shifted to a new activity . . . but I only did that for a day or two at a time. Why? It helped me identify inefficiencies in what I was doing, things that were stealing useful time from me, that could be easily fixed and improve my happiness or productivity by doing so. But I'd only do that for a day or two at a time now and then, learn from it, adjust my habits, maybe do it again months down the road when I felt like I was spinning my wheels a bit.

I can't imaging logging every activity every day, on a regular basis. What is your goal here?

I do log my food (on junk mail paper when cooking, then on MFP later) and my exercise (using a fitness tracker to automate a lot of that). That's plenty, for me. I admit, I've thought of doing the detail "time log" thing again to reexamine my habits in retirement, maybe make some changes . . . but I'd still only do it for a day or two, on paper probably (portable, adequate).

I know some people like daily journaling (a la "The Artists Way" or other approaches) and find it helpful in some way, but that's not something a person would do in Excel. I'm puzzled.