I need help with macros

Options
I am trying to figure my macros to lose weight.I am 48 years old, my weight is 136 and I do cardio 3 times a week.4 times a week I do weight training five days a week. My calories I think in the macro apps or a little bit low they are 1111 I just wanted to see if someone can set them for me that knows how to do macros to lose weight my goal is to lose 22 pounds . One pound a week.. Thank you for your help

Replies

• Deneen0428
    Deneen0428 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure my macros to lose weight.I am 48 years old, my weight is 136 and I do cardio 3 to 4 times a week and weight training five days a week. My calories I think in the macro apps or a little bit lol I just wanted to see if someone can set them for me that knows how to do macros to lose weight my goal is to lose 22 pounds a pound a week. Thank you for your help
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Fitbit gave you a calorie goal of 1111? It usually doesn’t go below 1200….

When you set up the goals, did you choose the appropriate level of activity? Which level did you pick? Are you planning on using a tracker?

If you really feel that the app is inaccurate for you, there is an alternative. An alternative to relying upon an app giving you a calorie level, is to carefully track what you are eating for two weeks as your baseline (weighing and measuring everything), before you start your diet. Calculate your average daily calories based upon that data. Then, take 500 calories off of your baseline average to see what your deficit will need to be for you to lose one pound per week. 500cal/day x7 days = 3500 calories = approx one pound if you keep your exercise and activity consistent.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Calories are more important than macros. Macros can help with satiety- helping you feel full longer. That’s where plans like keto or low carb come into play. But they ultimately drive a calorie deficit that cause the weight loss.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Unless you are very short, you shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories a day, since it is hard to get sufficient nutrition on less than that. The MFP macros work for most people, though some find that they are full longer with more protein and fewer carbs and others find the reverse to be true. Use the MFP set up to lose from .5 to 1 lb. a week to figure out your calories. Don't try to lose faster than that, since you only have 22 to go. Your activity level should be set to exclude deliberate exercise. Add that back in on the days that you do it. Weight lifting doesn't burn a lot of calories but is good for building strength and muscle. Your calorie burn on your cardio days will depend on what you do and how intensely. Take the numbers given with a grain of salt. If you are using the calories from a machine, they may be inflated.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    If body composition from strength training is the primary goal then a general rule of thumb would be to eat 1-1.2 grams protein per pound of bodyweight. Since protein is 4 calories per gram the calories would work out to be 136 x 4 equals calories from protein. Next calculate your fat calories. The suggested range for fat is 0.4-0.6g per pound of bodyweight. A gram of fat is 9 calories. Then fill in your remaining calories with carbohydrates. 1 gram of carbohydrates is 4 calories. So take remaining calories after subtracting protein and fat calories from total calories then divide by 4 to determine grams of carbohydrates to eat.
    1111 calories is too low! This is not enough to fuel your exercise, activity or basic life functions like hair growth, or menstruation long term. Please use the Mfp function to set up a realistic calorie goal and eat back exercise calories. Would also suggest slowing rate of loss to 0.5 lbs/wk to retain muscle while losing weight.