Weightlifters - etiquette question!

Options
2»

Replies

• MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It never hurts to ask them if you want to work in. However, usually when people ask to work in, they are doing roughly the same weight. This saves them from taking a bunch of 45 lbs plates off the bar eat time your set is up.

For example, if I need to bench and I see a bunch of guys working out with roughly 250 lbs, it's assumed if I'm working in, I should be doing my sets at a minimum of 225 lbs.
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    when you start lifting more then worry till then your barely doing the bar your really not gonna injure yourself unless you have bad form...and i typically will change up my routine and go do something else then come back to what i want to do...really just because it says to do squats first doesnt mean you HAVE to do squats first...just saying..i never rotate in with guys the changing of the weight is an absoulte *****!
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i keep a log of my workouts that ill do for the day. if a certain piece of equipment is tied up, i ask the guys to let me know when their done and i do something else. They guys at my gym are really nice and they come up to me when their done. If someone else tries to slip in, they tell them that i was next in line
  • saraiwarren
    Options
    Hey there,
    I used to work for a training company with all men and this was common. Most of the time they really just didn't pay attention to who was working around them because they were watching their form in the mirrors, and if someone needed to rotate in they expected them to say something. I think this is pretty true for guys in general. It's pretty intimidating for a woman to be in the free weight area in the first place and a lot of women don't usually workout in that spot, so I can imagine it being difficult to ask to rotate in when you may already be outside of a comfort zone. I would just walk right up and say hi, in a friendly way, and ask them if you can work in with them, or if they're in the middle of super sets then just ask politely when they will be done with the equipment. Most guys would LOVE for a woman to ask to rotate in with them because it gives them the ability to show off their technique. As long as you're nice and really willing to work in, they'll probably be stoked to work you in.
  • mail704m
    mail704m Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, ask if you can cut in and my experience is that they will, and then will step back in between their next set too...
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    It never hurts to ask them if you want to work in. However, usually when people ask to work in, they are doing roughly the same weight. This saves them from taking a bunch of 45 lbs plates off the bar eat time your set is up.

For example, if I need to bench and I see a bunch of guys working out with roughly 250 lbs, it's assumed if I'm working in, I should be doing my sets at a minimum of 225 lbs.

Okay (and again, this is why I'm asking about etiquette, because I'm pretty new to non-dumbbell weightlifting) but is this still true even if all the plates are coming off between the two guys' sets? If they're de-plating down to the bar anyways it seems a little more reasonable to ask to work in regardless of my weight quantity.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    It's pretty intimidating for a woman to be in the free weight area in the first place and a lot of women don't usually workout in that spot, so I can imagine it being difficult to ask to rotate in when you may already be outside of a comfort zone.

This is very true :smile:
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    One benefit of being a behemoth is that if I ask to use a piece of equipment the person on the machine will usually hurry along either out of fear or pity. Since I'm aware this "courtesy" is not always shared with others if I notice others waiting to use a machine I have asked equipment hogs if they'll be much longer and then when they move along to make space for me I offer the spot to those who have been waiting and move along to whatever equipment I was actually planning to use.

Ironically I find teenage girls to be the least likely to politely move along when asked.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It's pretty intimidating for a woman to be in the free weight area in the first place and a lot of women don't usually workout in that spot, so I can imagine it being difficult to ask to rotate in when you may already be outside of a comfort zone.

This is very true :smile:

i'm impressed you got there. Still working up the courage to do free weights.