A Lesson from Thumper's Father (Bambi)

Options
NKF92879
NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
Most of us have seen the Disney Classic, Bambi. How many of us remember any of the "between the lines" lessons? My favorite comes after Thumper giggles at a not-too-sure-on-his-feet Bambi...

Thumper: "Kinda wobbly, isn't he, Mama?"

Thumper's Mama: "Thumper! What did your father tell you?"

Thumper (looking rather forlorn): "If you can't say somethin' nice..." (sigh) "...don't say nothin' at all."

I know I've been guilty of it myself, but that doesn't make it right. Someone saying something mean to you first doesn't make it right. We all get frustrated, and sometimes we say things we don't mean or should simply keep to ourselves. I saw a post in the forums a few minutes ago. It said something to the effect of, "Can't we all just get along?" and another poster responded with, "NO!" Really people? Is that the kind of world you want to live in? Now, I'm not a "let's all be friends, everyone is special" kinda gal, but I AM a "have some respect for your fellow man (or woman)" kinda gal.

[end rant]

Replies

• peddlepusher
    Options
    "Live and let live" is my motto
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Such is the reality of life. Not everyone will get along. Respect is somewhat subjective. A negative response to a question is not disrespectful to me. A personal attack on my character is considered disrespect. Some feel their presence somehow becomes embodied within written messages, and therefore those who do not agree with said message, their feelings become hurt.

And the only lesson I learned from Bambi was that "twitterpated" meant springtime horniness was rampant in the animal kingdom.
  • Gemini_at_36
    Options
    ditto :flowerforyou:
  • GregT44
    Options
    I agree...... We're all here for the same thing , a healthier life. Humor is one thing but no need to be mean to one another.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Most of us have seen the Disney Classic, Bambi. How many of us remember any of the "between the lines" lessons? My favorite comes after Thumper giggles at a not-too-sure-on-his-feet Bambi...

Thumper (looking rather forlorn): "If you can't say somethin' nice..." (sigh) "...don't say nothin' at all."

I know I've been guilty of it myself, but that doesn't make it right. Someone saying something mean to you first doesn't make it right. We all get frustrated, and sometimes we say things we don't mean or should simply keep to ourselves. I saw a post in the forums a few minutes ago. It said something to the effect of, "Can't we all just get along?" and another poster responded with, "NO!" Really people? Is that the kind of world you want to live in? Now, I'm not a "let's all be friends, everyone is special" kinda gal, but I AM a "have some respect for your fellow man (or woman)" kinda gal.

[end rant]

Much agreed. . be kind to others and that kindness will return to you. . kindness invites kindness. . . rudeness invites rudeness. . . and when all else fails. . HIT THE IGNORE switch!

As the saying goes misery loves company. . so if people want to be that way just do your best to stay away from them. . or return their meaness only with kind words. . .
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    The world isnt sunshine and roses and people around here like to accuse people of being mean when in reality all they are doing is disagreeing with them.Oh and as for bambi his legs were woobly and all thumper was doing was pointing out the damn truth.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    The world isnt sunshine and roses and people around here like to accuse people of being mean when in reality all they are doing is disagreeing with them.Oh and as for bambi his legs were woobly and all thumper was doing was pointing out the damn truth.

I :heart: you!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    We seem to have lost the art of debating, instead people see any alternate opinion as either attacking, bullying or being rude. If those people actually listened to other peoples opinions instead of seeing them as an attack they might just learn something. I love a hot debate :glasses:
  • NKF92879
    Options
    I was referring to people be outright *kitten*, not differing opinions. Calling someone stupid, accusing them of having a mental illness... that's not sharing your opinion. That's being a d-bag.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

That double negative is killing me...
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Considering the double negative, wouldn't that phrase really mean "If you can't say something nice, do say something at all" ? Two negatives cancel each other and make a positive, right?

Also, this:
  • ilookthetype
    Options

Considering the double negative, wouldn't that phrase really mean "If you can't say something nice, do say something at all" ? Two negatives cancel each other and make a positive, right?

YUP! So, the REAL lesson from Thumper's Father is: Be mean!
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    I was referring to people be outright *kitten*, not differing opinions. Calling someone stupid, accusing them of having a mental illness... that's not sharing your opinion. That's being a d-bag.

Well in real life people ar d-bags and people are mean,it has always been that way it will always be that way.If people stoped caring so much what random people on the net say to them then that would fix everything right there. word only have the power we get them. who cares if someone calls you stupid who care what people say at all.There is always going to be someone with something negitive to say
  • NKF92879
    Options

Well in real life people ar d-bags and people are mean,it has always been that way it will always be that way.If people stoped caring so much what random people on the net say to them then that would fix everything right there. word only have the power we get them. who cares if someone calls you stupid who care what people say at all.There is always going to be someone with something negitive to say

1.) No one called me anything; I was referring to some posts I've read recently.
    2.) Something happening in "real life" doesn't make it right. Whatever happened to common decency and respect for your fellow mad/woman? It's high-time we (society) stop with the complacency and get back to being decent human beings.
    3.) Whether I (or other people) "care" what others say about me (or others) is not the point. It's still wrong to put others down. I will not put up with it. Period.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

1.) No one called me anything; I was referring to some posts I've read recently.
    2.) Something happening in "real life" doesn't make it right. Whatever happened to common decency and respect for your fellow mad/woman? It's high-time we (society) stop with the complacency and get back to being decent human beings.
    3.) Whether I (or other people) "care" what others say about me (or others) is not the point. It's still wrong to put others down. I will not put up with it. Period.

what can you do about it in all reality
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options

Hehehehe..... You ROCK!

I love that you get frustrated by words... it's exactly like me with colors and design. Do it right, or don't do it at all!!!! :noway:

That's why I love you! You're such a fun little stinker, but you have the biggest heart ever! :heart:
  • ilookthetype
    Options

Hehehehe..... You ROCK!

I love that you get frustrated by words... it's exactly like me with colors and design. Do it right, or don't do it at all!!!! :noway:

That's why I love you! You're such a fun little stinker, but you have the biggest heart ever! :heart:

Thanks Hollie, I love you, too!
  • NKF92879
    Options

what can you do about it in all reality

I refuse to stand by and let things I feel are wrong occur without at least saying something about it. I stand up for what I believe in, whether it is a large or small issue.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My dogs can't even get along sometimes. Let's all just start showing our disagreements like they do and skip the small talk...
  • Jeffry1
    Options
    What is the golden rule? And if you say, he who has the gold makes the rules...... Tell me when the last time that worked out, cause I think they all ended up dead! Think about it!