A ? for the walkers

Options
Alysgrma
Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
This may have been asked before but I just couldn't find the answer. I have seen walkers, some walk with their arms bent and really swinging the arms. I have also seen walkers with their arms extended beside them and swinging their ams. What is the correct way to "walk"? I have tired it with my elbows bent and just couldn't do it. I do have a good gait and swing my arms when I walk...is that enough?

Thanks,
Mary

Replies

• miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    http://walking.about.com/cs/beginners/a/10mistakes5.htm

Based on the article above....the best way to walk is to keep your arms bent at a 90 degree angle

I find I go a little faster with my arms bent......

However, when I have my arms just hanging....I find it tends to swell up...its like all the blood rushes down to my finger tip, kind of uncomfortable

So I try to always keep my arms bent.....
  • bbblue92
    bbblue92 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Agree with miqisha . . . my hands tend to swell when I keep them low, I think they are supposed to be around heart or a little above heart level?
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much..that explains alot. My hands swell too so that all makes sense. I will just have to learn to walk that way and force myself to do it!!

Thanks again
    Mary
  • kdm9295
    kdm9295 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I find if I have something in my hands, like my ipod and water bottle, that it's easier (more natural) to have my arms bent. But if my hands are empty, then they just hang.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Of course then you could be like me and do arm circles and "dance" moves with your arms while listening to your Ipod! LOL! Yeah - I look like a dork on the treadmill... but I burn a lot of calories!
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Of course then you could be like me and do arm circles and "dance" moves with your arms while listening to your Ipod! LOL! Yeah - I look like a dork on the treadmill... but I burn a lot of calories!
    Well I do that, and I'm walking down the street! Imagine the looks I get from passers-by!!
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I always wondered about the thing with the swelling 🙌! thanks
  • Rlaw46
    Rlaw46 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I use to be in track in my teens . We did something they now call power walking . I’m my time with the JTAA. It was called race walking, where you go heal/toe and bend your arms at a 45 degree angle and move quickly. I did it for years until now where my knees are swollen. I really loved it. I believe it condition me from top to bottom.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just go out on a walk...usually with my dog.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    I do both depending on the beat of the song on my music player. The faster the beat, the bendier my arms get.

My fingers definitely swelled, tho, if I kept my arms down and it was hot outside.

(Old thread but oh well. :))
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI: The link above (in the first reply) now takes you to a different article titled "Arm Motion Technique for Faster Walking".