Air fryer

Options
sujxb
sujxb Posts: 1 Member
Hi Am newbie here and new to using an air fryer. Live in the uk and am after recipe ideas from you lovely people. Thanks Sue

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    There is another air fryer thread within the Recipe's segment. I think the air fryer is great for rendering off subcutaneous fat from skin on chicken or duck. I use it for roasting potatoes and veg. Essentially everything I used to use the oven for.

I only use the oven anymore when I need to roast something big like a Christmas goose, a spatchcock chicken or a whole leg of lamb.
  • FABRICWOMAN
    FABRICWOMAN Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I use to purchase large bottles of oil, but since I now use the air fryer more I haven't bought any oil in about 6 months. A tablespoon goes a long way. Here is my recipe for making banana chips.
    AIR FRYER BANANA CHIPS: Ingredients: 2 bananas, 2 tsp. Avocado Oil or Olive Oil and 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt. Directions: Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees for 5 minutes. Slice the bananas into thin slices (about 1/4 inch thick). The more uniform the slices, you don't have to worry about the bananas cooking in different amounts of time. Place the banana slices in a bowl and cover with olive oil. Mix until combined. Place the banana slices in a single layer in the air fryer. Work in batches, if needed. Sprinkle the banana slices with a pinch of kosher salt. Air fry for 8 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees, flipping half way through or until the bananas are lightly browned and crispy. Remove from the air fryer and let cool on a baking sheet or cooling rack. Repeat with remaining bananas.
    NOTE: Choose bananas that are just barely ripened. If too ripe they will be difficult to cut into even slices. You can even use unripe green bananas. This makes about 4 servings. Per serving: 72 calories, 13 gr. carbs, 1 gr protein, 2 gr. total fat, 1 gr. saturated fat, 1 gr. polyunsaturated fat, 146 mg. sodium, 2 gr. monounsaturated fat, 211 mg. potassium, 2 gr. fiber, 7 gr sugar, 38IU Vitamin A, 5 mg. Vitamin C, 3 mg. calcium and 1 mg. iron.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    I discovered a substitute for deep fried tofu that can be made in the air fryer:
    Use firm tofu. If you want it firmer you can press it between paper towels and two cutting boards for 45 minutes, blanche for 30 seconds in boiling water, or freeze it and then defrost. Dry well and cut into cubes. In a plastic food box, combine the tofu with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, a tablespoon of cornstarch and salt and pepper to taste. Shake to coat and transfer cubes to air fryer. Air fry at 200C for about 20 minutes. Use in any recipe that calls for deep fried tofu cubes, such as pad thai.