Best Buy’s from Aldi?

We will be getting an Aldi soon and I’d like to know some things to look out for/try?

Just for reference, I am currently trying to shed about 25-30 lb and keep in a calorie deficit, eating around 1200-1450 depending on the day/workout so nothing too calorie dense, preferably. Thanks!

Replies

• AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Nonfat greek yogurt, low carb wraps, almond milk, fruits and veggies, sour cream

LORD JESUS IS KING OF KINGS
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    edited December 2021
    I go to Lidl but they’re very similar.

Prosciutto and Spanish ham (jambon de something)- they average 60-70 calories per serving and are great pepperoni substitute, dry-pan fried on sandwich, or chopped in spaghetti.

Whipped Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese. Lidl appears to have a supply chain issue with it right now. Tastes just like Philly and less than half even the lite Philly calories.

Liquid egg whites

Fat free half and half

Low fat cottage cheese

Store brand plain Greek yogurt- Lidl again has supply chain issues but it was $1.84 per tub versus Chobani at well over $5, and it tasted better.

Lidls inexpensive ground breakfast coffee is terrific. They can’t keep it in stock.

I’m going to see if they carry Skyr. If they do, I may have to rethink my loyalty, lol.

Small jarred condiments like Ploughman’s Chutney. It’s only a few calories per serving and is terrific grilled on tenderloin.

Fruits, veg, organics. Occasional killer deals on berries.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I go for the organic produce (small selection but great prices on what they have), fair trade coffee, organic hummuses, and house-brand (Earth Grown) frozen veggie meat alternatives like chick-un patties and cheat-balls.

I also like several of their house brand snack crackers and cookies (animal crackers and graham crackers especially) because they're small and I can portion a little treat without going overboard.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited December 2021
    Check out a few 'Healthy Eating and Best Buys at Aldi videos on YouTube. There are some good ones out there. Do NOT buy tilapia or fresh garlic at Aldi. The farming/production methods are likely less than healthy.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    We got an Aldi early last year and it's been awesome. The only thing I've bought from there that I haven't been super impressed with was a flavor-blasted ribeye, it came coated in like herbed tomato paste or something?? Almost inedible. The other meat I've bought from Aldi, including non-flavor-blasted steaks, have been good though.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Like @rosebarnalice, I have great luck with fresh produce. My family also likes the cracker assortment, rice cakes and dried fruits. Also like the fair trade coffee, which honestly, is so inexpensive that I question how fair to the growers it really is.

We like the aldi brand greek yogurt and buy some of their cheeses, but in general think Trader Joes has better price and quality on nuts and cheeses.

Agree with @goal06082021 about the meat. I buy a whole chicken every week and shop the sales for pork shoulder & loin -- all good. I stay way away from the marinated meat products. Generally, beef is a splurge for us and we buy it from a local butcher. I've bought their fresh salmon slab (unseasoned) and it is good but I like how the the whole foods frozen salmon product tastes better. The 12 oz frozen scallops vary in size (sometimes a few larger ones and sometimes more smaller ones), but they're always good.

It's my main store, so I get all the pantry items (rice, dry beans, flour, almond flour, oil, etc.) there as well. Some items are comparable to prices elsewhere (beans) and some are tons cheaper (flour). I will say my weekly grocery spend has almost doubled in the past year for what feels like all the same stuff.
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    They have a great produce section, it seems to be fresher and last longer than Walmart or Target. They have a wide array of cheeses, gluten free products and organic products. Theres also always that once in a while unique food item you can find around holidays
  • MegaScorpion
    MegaScorpion Posts: 48 Member
    Love Aldi. One of my fav meals is the chicken rice packet, Mediterranean seasoned salmon and asparagus (baked) Yum!!
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    This is my favorite store to shop at. I get all of my fresh fruits and veggies from here. Also my favorite go to items are:
    Frozen veggies for soups, stews and stir fries
    Frozen fruit for smoothies
    marinated pork loins (the Italian and peppercorn are the best)
    greek yogurt
    single serving packages of nuts and trail mix
    Flavored sparkling water
    Sweet Potato waffle fries
    Fruit strips
    And lots of the easy grab snacks in single serve packages for my little kids
    (Teddie grahams, fruit pouches, gold fish, peanut butter crackers, ect.)
  • N0easyway0ut
    N0easyway0ut Posts: 193 Member
    The do alot of frozen already cut veggies and meats which make it easier to cook and keep track! simplicity is key for me to sticking to a healthy regime and Aldi helps alot! great post to keep an eye on anything i miss! ps. they also do mcdonald chicken nuggets for those cheat days ;)
  • MsCzar
    Aldi had huge fresh chicken quarters for $.99USD. I filled my freezer.
  • Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    Great produce. I also love the freeze dried bananas and strawberries. Excellent low cal snack. The small dark chocolate bars are also great and 6 blocks is just about 110 calories.
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,488 Member
    I get all of my nuts there, peanuts, almonds, cashews. A 14oz bag of roasted almonds is $4 at Aldi, $7-8 at the military commissary and $10-11 at Giant or Kroger. Worth the trip right there. I also usually grab some of whatever the "produce pick of the week" is while I'm there. As others have said kid's snacks in individual packages are good, especially the organic fruit snacks. And CHOCOLATE! The good stuff, dark with sea salt. Yum!
  • southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    Thanks everyone I can hardly wait! Which is bad because they have only just begun clearing the land 🤣 it’s gonna be awhile 😅
  • MsCzar
    Those stores can pop up overnight like mushrooms! Hope the wait won't be too long.
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    I went to Aldi today and picked up a bottle of wine and a self-rising crust supreme pizza for $5.74 total. In addition to that great combo-buy I bought quite a few other items that seemed very reasonably priced. Sadly, the produce section was looking a bit tired today. Didn't see any plums, peaches, or oranges, and only a couple varieties of apples. Also, no celery, radishes, green peppers, or regular cucumber.

I'm fortunate in that I have 2 Aldis nearby, one that's 2.5 miles away and the other 3 miles the opposite direction. Next time I'll go to the other Aldi. Hopefully that stores produce selection will be better and fresher looking.

As a side note, for those doing Keto, they do have a decent selection of low carb food items. I haven't tried any of them myself.
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,488 Member
    And always check out the "Also finds" aisle, they have great deals there on non food items. Today I picked up a set of 3 kettle bells (15, 10 & 5 lbs) for $24. You have to buy it when you see it though cuz they sell out quick.