Sore muscles during exercise -- how long?

Options
I've been biking everywhere for the last couple of weeks -- much more than I did before. Not much compared to some, I know, but I tend to do between 2.8 and 4.8 miles per day. It's hilly here, so the end of each trip always involved a fairly steep hill up our street, and trips downtown have a pretty sizable hill on the way back, too. I'm enjoying the rides, but my thighs have just been in agony later. It was fine last week, but this week, I don't get very far before they start to hurt.

Should I be putting more time between rides? Should I take a few days to rest without biking (walking instead)? I have never been one for a lot of exercise, so I don't have any experience with this and am unsure about what's best to do. I know the burn is lactic acid buildup, but I don't know why it's been getting worse. Thank you! I enjoy my bike rides and don't want to give them up, but I don't want to hurt myself, either.

Replies

• lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch afterwards? If not, start doing so. Read http://helen-smeaton.suite101.com/stretching-exercises-for-cyclists-a71815 for more info.

You may want to rest a day in between, or do some other form of exercise to give your cycling legs a break.

Keep up the good work :)
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My advice is to listen to your body. The stronger your muscles get the less they will ache, so maybe for now if you need to walk up the really steep bit then that's fine- just don't create an injury because then you wont be able to exercise at all.
  • hayescarmen364
    Options
    Your muscles in your thighs are having what is called delayed muscle soreness. Its perfectly normal for someone who isnt use to exersices that are more then what they are used to. I've heard just keep doing what your doing and it will help but take it lightly though. Bike for about one mile or what not. Every spring when I use to ride a bike I was not use to it and I would ride my bike about 10 miles a day and use to feel that way but after a while It got better in about a week or two. I use to get that feeling in my shoulders and arms when I use to do more pushups then what I was normally do. In bootcamp our first day of PT our series Drill Instructor made us do about 300 pushups and I was used to only doing 35. After a week I of feeling like I got hurt it was just muscle soreness which we where told about is normal. Keep up the good work on those rides and you will be able to ride more and enjoy it better.
  • jan_andrea
    jan_andrea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Is it still delayed if it happens during the exercise? I read about that, but was confused by that part.
    I've been biking because everything is pretty close in town -- post office and grocery store are about a mile from us, my daughter's preschool is 0.4 miles. Driving feels dumb with those distances :lol:
    I will certainly start stretching afterwards -- thank you! And I'm glad to know it will pass :) I had wondered how long it would take.
  • hayescarmen364
    Options
    It is and Its a really good idea to stretch as well to help loosin up your muscles before and after you ride. It will pass soon and you will feel better and able to ride better. You will feel stronger when you ride once it goes away and Good luck when it does :D
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Stretch, massage, rest, eat all your calories, repeat.
  • koosdel
    Options
    Just wanted to add.. my ride, the last two miles are up some freakin steep hills! Killer. Why does it always have to be that way? Lol!!
  • jan_andrea
    jan_andrea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Seriously. My daughter's daycare run is literally uphill both ways -- our house and the center are separated by a thick stand of trees, so it's a U shaped route... and we're on the same hill. Fun going down; not so much coming back up. Nice to have it so close, though!

As far as the calories go, my brother's said more than once that he finds MFP gives too many for exercise. I haven't been eating them all back, esp. when I'm not particularly hungry. I assume that's okay, unless I really am hungry. My diary is open.

I am so fortunate to be here with so many helpful and knowledgeable people -- thank you very much!
  • koosdel
    Options
    I couldn't see your diary, but those calories are necessary for muscle recovery. Seriously.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Seriously. My daughter's daycare run is literally uphill both ways -- our house and the center are separated by a thick stand of trees, so it's a U shaped route... and we're on the same hill. Fun going down; not so much coming back up. Nice to have it so close, though!

As far as the calories go, my brother's said more than once that he finds MFP gives too many for exercise. I haven't been eating them all back, esp. when I'm not particularly hungry. I assume that's okay, unless I really am hungry. My diary is open.

I am so fortunate to be here with so many helpful and knowledgeable people -- thank you very much!

my wife finds that MFP and her heart rate monitor are pretty close to each other in their estimation of calories burned. and yeah, if your not hungry, no need to eat. however, i try and eat back at least half of my burned calories.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Maybe take a rest day in between bike rides. But I don't mean sit around and do nothing - go for a nice brisk walk. increased blood circulation will help clear out some of that lactic acid.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I find when I start a new grueling exercise if i drink a protein drink within an hour after the exercise that my muscles are a lot less sore the next day and I always stretch thirty seconds per muscle after a workout.