HELP!!! HEALTHY SNACKS

Options
Can any of you share your tips and ideas about healthy energizing snacks. Preferably some not loaded with sugar, and portable.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I like jerky myself :] or granola bars. Protein and carbs are very filling to me.

I dont normally snack anymore :O
  • Csdehoyos
    Csdehoyos Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Apples!! They are the best!
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    veggies: celery, baby carrots, broccoli... etc.
    9 whole grain thin crackers
    nuts
    protein shake
  • cladou2
    cladou2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There is a ton of items to choose from. Try sugar free jello (where the pudding is), I like the cherry flavor, it`s cheap and only has 10 calories and no sugar; some celery sticks in a ziploc bag with a wedge of laughing cow cheese, pop some light popcorn with low sodium and portion it out in ziploc bags. These are my favorites....
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Almonds, sugar free jello, fresh fruit and fresh veggies
  • karinaes
    Options
    fruit has a lot of sugar
    otherwise, i'd say strawberries, bananas, peaches, blueberries ...etc
    Options
    I actually would not suggest nuts. Not filling at all and not as amazing for you as everyone seems to think xD
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    String cheese + 6 almonds & a bottle of water
    Fiber One 90 granola bar
    Laughing Cow Chipotle cheese + 5 Triscuit Thins - Chipotle seasoned
    Handful of no salt peanuts
    Celery filled with Peanut butter
    A bottle of water with each fills me up.
    Options
    fruit has a lot of sugar
    otherwise, i'd say strawberries, bananas, peaches, blueberries ...etc

I agree. lower sugar ones: blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and grapefruit
  • karinaes
    Options
    what? maybe not filling, but snacks are not meant to "fill" you up..
    raw nuts are filled of good fats, protein & calories.
    I actually would not suggest nuts. Not filling at all and not as amazing for you as everyone seems to think xD
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    jalepeno Almond Cheese...can be bought online at http://lisanatticheese.com/
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

This depends on health issues. Nuts are my best friend - wonderful for lowering my blood sugar. They do fill me up. I think it's different for every person, just like everything else. Also, avacados have really cut down on my 'belly' fat. :smile:
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    We've started making Homemade LaraBars and love them (the kids do too)... http://goo.gl/wFh6y

Other than that, I also like carrots, celery, jerky (beef and turkey), nuts and dried fruits.
  • trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump, extra ideas!
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of jerky, although it often has too much sodium. If I had a dehydrator, I'd make my own. I absolutely love baby carrots with a light dip (pre-measured). I also like Tostito's Baked Scoops with salsa. Granola bars are good, but you have to be careful which ones you get - some have tons of sugar.
    I'd never even heard of Larabars. They sound delicious, and I'm definitely going to give them a try!
  • Randynorthridge
    Options
    Try Nature Sweet cherry tomatoes ! The whole container is about 10 oz and around 70 calories. Maybe it's because I've been off sugar for day 10 days but they sure taste sweet to me! LOL!
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. Theses suggestions all sound great, especially the cheese. I really didn't know you could have cheese will trying to lose weight. Can't wait to try those suggested. I actually never thought of cherry tomatoes as a snack, wow. Yesterday I had a medium size chiquita banana, a cameo apple and, a fiber one bar (first time), not all at the same time. They were all deliciously sweet. I kept thinking and laughing as I was eating them this can not possibly be healthy, especially the fiber one bar, it was freaking goood!
  • Airport5x
    Airport5x Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I want a quick portable snack I reach for a can of low sodium V8 juice. I follow it with 8 ounces of water or so and it seems to get me through snack attacks. It's nutritious to boot. Be sure to get the low sodium though.

Take good care.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

I guess this is one where everyone is going to have a different experience. I find almonds really filling and a great snack - about 8 almonds keeps me going if I'm hungry.

Hommous and crackers or veggies is good (though not quite so portable).
    Cherry tomatoes, snow peas, celery or carrot sticks - easy to carry and not so high in sugar as fruit.
    One peice of wholegrain bread with peanut butter (I use no salt or sugar PB) or almond/cashew spread.
    Dried figs - two of them are plenty for a snack and I find them pretty filling, and they have lots of fibre :) (They're high in sugar though)
    Muesli bars can be good, but some of them are overly processed and filled with junk. Read the labels.
    Rice cakes and hommus or peanut butter
    Trail mix if you have the calories - measure it out into a little snaplock bag so you stick to a small portion.
    Popcorn (if you make it yourself and don't add lots of high cal toppings)
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    bump