calorie goal once weight loss goal met ...?

Options
Ok, it's my first post here, so bear with me if this question has been covered countless times already. I started with a weight loss goal of 27 pounds ... it took me 6 months but I've currently lost 31 pounds. I've went from a solid size 10 to a size 6, so I'm thrilled with the results! When I joined MFP, I had a recommended daily calorie total of 1200 and I've stuck to that pretty well ... now that I'ved met my goal, I've allowed myself 1300-1400 per day and am still losing a little each week. I don't mind that I've exceeded my goal, but at a current weigh of 131, I don't really need to go much lower. How do I know how many calories I should be consuming each day to maintain my current weight? Is there a formula or is it just trial-by-error?

Replies

• JanetTerry
    JanetTerry Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I certainly cant answer your question.... BUT.... good for you!! WTG!
  • tinamarie0711
    Options
    Good question i would like to know this myself!
  • Soccer_chick916
    Soccer_chick916 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Go to the "my home" tab, then click on "goals" right bellow it. Then at the bottom of the page click "change goals" and set it to maintaining the weight. It will auto calculate it for you.
  • aliciarenee79
    aliciarenee79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Change your calorie goal to maintanance, and it will tell you how much. WTG on your weightloss!
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Adjust your goal in your diet/fitness profile. Settings>Update diet/fitness profile>What is your goal? box at the end of the page>Maintain my current weight :)
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You can alter your calorie goals here on the site and it will calculate it for you and you can change them up to the point where you won't lose daily. I think you probably want to try to go over 1500 calories if you are not looking to lose anymore weight. Some might even say 2000 but if that is too much for you use trial and error between 1500-1800. 3500 calories equal a pound so if you eat 1500 calories a day you could possibly lose a pound a week if that makes any sense but that is not counting exercise. If you are exercising and you burn another 500 calories a day then you will lose 2 pounds a week. I hope that helps.
  • maria9274
    maria9274 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    go to your goals, and change your goal to maintain current weight instead of lose
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Go into the Goals section and change your goal to "Maintain my current weight." MFP will then give you the number of calories that you need to do that.

ETA: LOL, lots of fast fingers here. :D
  • sharbryan
    sharbryan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! Will try your suggestions!
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    According to Wardlaw's Perspectives in Nutrition, 8th Edition, your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the least amount of calories necessary to keep you body alive. It is calculated (skip the pounds if you already weigh in kg) by:
    1. take your weight in pounds and divide by 2.2 to get your weight in kg
    2. take your weight in kg and multiply by 0.9 (1.0 if a man) - this is your kcal burned per hour
    3. multiply your kcal burned per hour by 24. This is your daily calorie need just to keep your body alive

This does not include exercise, amount of lean body tissue, or thyroid or anything else that can affect your metabolic rate. I would start somewhere in that neighborhood and add on exercise calories and see what happens. There are so many variables that no two people are going to be exactly alike.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Go to the "my home" tab, then click on "goals" right bellow it. Then at the bottom of the page click "change goals" and set it to maintaining the weight. It will auto calculate it for you.

this!
  • jseel890
    Options
    The fact that you weigh 20 pounds less than your own daughter...aka me....is my inspiration. If you can do it, I can do it.