new tattoo vs. new workout

Options
here it goes..
i've been planning out this tattoo for MONTHS now, i was supposed to get it done a long time ago but the artist and i continued to have schedule conflicts. well he calls me up and says "be ready tomorrow" (he's a family friend) the problem is that this is the first week of starting my workout routine. tomorrow would be day 6. i know if i get the tattoo i'll have to take a rest and let it heal, meaning no workouts. i just don't want to lose my momentum y'know?
the timing is just really bad.
any suggestions on what i should do?
should i just wait it out a little more? or get the damn thing and take a break?
any advice is much appreciated!:)

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I would get the tattoo.
  • Lmaxwell
    Lmaxwell Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Get the tattoo, eat well & when you're all healed get back to your workouts.
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    get the tattoo
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the size and placement of the tattoo... for a smaller tattoo I don't think it will hurt anything to do both.... or perhaps workout early before hand and then sunday late that would give you 24+ hours to rest up and see how you feel Just make sure to stay hydrated since you will be bleeding some
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Tattoo
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    get inked
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the size and placement of the tattoo... for a smaller tattoo I don't think it will hurt anything to do both.... or perhaps workout early before hand and then sunday late that would give you 24+ hours to rest up and see how you feel Just make sure to stay hydrated since you will be bleeding some

This
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    Definitely the tattoo!
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Tattoo!
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    If it's something you've been dying to get for a while now... F-it and get your tatoo. You can start the week after just make sure not to go buck wild and start eating like you ain't never gonna see a piece of food again. Lol. Just promise yourself you get the tattoo you start say next weekend.

Or if you don't like that thought. Set a goal say 5 pounds and once you reach that reward your self by calling up your friend and getting a time that both works for you and get your tattoo done :smile:
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Is the tattoo gonna be on your feet or your hand...or even a giant piece on your back? If not I don't see why it would take such a huge toll on your workout routine.

What size is the tattoo? Where is it gonna be on your body?

If you're gonna get a medium size tattoo on say your arm...I don't see why it would effect you. Now, if you were gonna get a medium size tattoo on your foot or calf...it may be like 2 or 3 days but after that you could get back into it. Just eat right for a few days!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how easily you get de-railed. For me, it used to be that if I took more than one day off, it would become like 2 weeks off. If you don't lose your momentum so easily, I say get the tattoo. If you do, though, just wait awhile.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Why cant you work out after a tattoo? I did...mine are fine. Get it and work out.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Why cant you work out after a tattoo? I did...mine are fine. Get it and work out.

Why not do both?
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I doubt there'll be much if any blood, though you do need to keep it covered for a little while. I'd say get the tattoo, then instead of going to the gym, get out in the sunshine and take some nice walks while it heals up. It won't take very long at all.
  • jdelgadillo92
    jdelgadillo92 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    it's going to be maybe about 7 inches on my thigh, full aztec warrior, which cuts out running and cardio, and i can still lift wights, but i LOVE running haha
    i was just worried about sweat getting into it, i've heard that could mess it up, that and constant rubbing from my shorts..
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    well it depends. Are you working out every day for six days? Or are you just on the six day of the program. If you've been working out a lot, you could go in and workout early (before the tattoo). Or you could just plan to work extra hard. Where do you plan to get the tattoo? You may still be able to do some strength training or something specific.
  • LolaVaantz
    LolaVaantz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    BOTH! Get the tattoo, eat clean/healthy for however long you need to let it heal so that when you start sweating again it won't sting/burn like an m-f-er. Not knowing where the tattoo is makes it a little hard to suggest alternative excercises, but if it is on your upper body and large, do some work on your lowers or vice versa.

My goal when i've reached it IS a Tattoo, i've always wanted the type of back and waist that a beautiful back peice would look great on....
    :) Post pics of your purdy new artwork AND of your success in the long run
  • jdelgadillo92
    jdelgadillo92 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    eating healthy and getting the ink sounds like the best option, it's only going to be the outline too so it probably won't take too long to heal. and it's not like i sweat buckets from my outer thigh anyway..
    i'll just be a healthnut take care of it and do upper body work. (i can totally focus on getting a six pack!) and just wait for a run again. i was just a little bummed/worried i'd have to start my routines ALL over.. it took me a while to really get in the swings of things, but i'm sure i can resist laziness for a day or two..

my real reward for when i reach my goal is a bellybutton piercing! haha
    but i'll be sure to post pics!:)
    thanks!
  • chchchangess
    Options
    when I got my thigh tattoo, I got right back on my bike a few days later, even though it was still healing. nothing happened to it, still turned out perfectly. :) but I definitely recommend yoga or like others have said, weight-lifting if you don't want to risk being too strenuous.