Snacks

Options
Hello all I work in an office and can't get away from my desk often. I need high protein low carb snacks/foods I can keep in my desk drawer un-refrigerated.

Thanks for your help

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,050 Member
    Options
    I like dry roasted soybeans (they can be bought in small packets, different flavors), crispy chickpeas or broad beans or lentils (ditto). I particularly like Bada Bean Bada Boom crispy broad beans, but that's a personal taste thing. They do have carbs, so if you're low carbing probably not a great choice.

I'm vegetarian, but some meat eaters like jerky or similar snacks.

Nuts are high fat, but they're skewed toward the healthier MUFA/PUFA fats. You can buy boxes of 100-calorie packs in flavors/types in the US, don't know about elsewhere.
  • ONUnicorn
    ONUnicorn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I try to always have nuts, trail mix (sometimes I'll make my own trail mix), fruit, and microwave popcorn in my desk at work. 2-3 apples and 2-3 oranges should last the week if you bring them in on Mondays. When I had a gym membership I used to eat breakfast before the gym, then work out before work and then get hungry around 10 or so. An orange and some trail mix were great then.

I also keep tea in my desk drawer, because I find drinking something hot makes a small snack more satisfying.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I keep Duke's shorty smoked sausages (they have multiple flavors), seasons nuts (like pistachios, cashews, or seasoned/roasted soybeans - I know these are not 'nuts'), I also keep nut bars too (like Kind bars, etc.).

You could also keep protein bars if you find one you like but .... I haven't really found any that I thinks taste really good or don't have an awful texture.
  • jrowens3102
    jrowens3102 Posts: 29 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I like almonds & apples together. Quest protein bars. Rice cakes (though I read the MFP article on them, lol) with peanut butter. Pre-made, air popped pop corn (kinda' carby but good and filling). Avocado toast (you can find low carb alternatives for the bread). Whisps Cheese Crisps have a bunch of protein for the portion size and I like naturally salty flavor. And Dang Coconut Chips for a sweet snack.
  • Momof487
    Momof487 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Barebells protein bars from Trader Joe's?? SOOO YUMMY. Honestly the only protein bar I have ever had that legitimately tastes like a candy bar. They have several great flavors. 200 calories, 20 grams of protein, 4 grams of carbs.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I had a job where snacks weren't possible, and I just got used to not eating between meals after about 2-3 weeks. For the first few weeks I felt like I was starving, and then my body just accepted that I wouldn't eat for 6 hours. Once I cut out snacks, I found weight loss a lot easier as well and lost 80lbs. I don't know if you are trying to lose weight, but figured I would share my personal experience.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I don't keep snacks at my office, but I pack my afternoon snack to take with me. If I just left stuff in my office I'd be tempted to just snack whenever instead of sticking to just my scheduled and planned afternoon snack. My afternoon snack is usually 30g of almonds, an apple, and 1 oz of beef jerky.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I pack a couple of granola bars with my lunch for an afternoon snack; they stay in my lunchbox until lunchtime, then they go in the desk drawer for later. Sometimes it's a bar of some kind and a piece of fruit that I'm going to peel, like a clementine or a banana. Today I have a raspberry Nutri-Grain bar and a low-carb chocolate-coconut bar that I bought on a whim last weekend. They're OK. Nice for a little something sweet and chocolatey to get out of the 4 PM slump. I'd have to actually sit down and crunch the numbers to see if they're worth buying again, or if I'd have better bang for my financial and calorie buck just buying fun-size Mounds, though.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Just throw some protein bars in a drawer!

I also keep nuts, fruit (bananas, oranges, etc) in there, too.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,185 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    You could also keep protein bars if you find one you like but .... I haven't really found any that I think taste really good or don't have an awful texture.
    Momof487 wrote: »
    Have you tried Barebells protein bars from Trader Joe's?? SOOO YUMMY. Honestly the only protein bar I have ever had that legitimately tastes like a candy bar. They have several great flavors. 200 calories, 20 grams of protein, 4 grams of carbs.

Protein bars are a great choice for high protein low carb. The challenge is finding one you like.
    Most bars I've tried I don't care for, especially the ones that have a dense paste-like consistency. Years ago, my doctor suggested I try the Zone Diet, and through that I discovered Zone Perfect bars, which I find to be pretty good (the classic bars). Some people complain that they're too sweet.
    There are plenty of flavors but my favorites are:
    • dark chocolate almond, or chocolate almond raisin, or chocolate mint
    • oatmeal chocolate chunk
    • strawberry yogurt
    • chocolate peanut butter (this used to be smoother, but has a grittier texture these days)

I wasn't aware of Barebells, I'll give them a try. The Hazelnut Nougat looks good.

Though lacking protein, a piece of fruit is nutritious and good for satisfying hunger. If you like hummus, that with some pita chips, pretzel thins or other lower carb chips is good.
    Just found this article. Since there's plenty of newer bars now, I'm going to try some in hopes of finding a greater variety that I like. I've noticed the prices, but I suspect that the better tasting bars come with a higher price tag.
    https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-products/g33597593/best-protein-bars/
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    Options
    I keep Duke's shorty smoked sausages (they have multiple flavors), seasons nuts (like pistachios, cashews, or seasoned/roasted soybeans - I know these are not 'nuts'), I also keep nut bars too (like Kind bars, etc.).

You could also keep protein bars if you find one you like but .... I haven't really found any that I thinks taste really good or don't have an awful texture.

I second the Kind bars. Aldi also has a knock-off version.
    Some have a lot of sugar, but you can find "flavors" that don't, if that's what you're looking for.