Calorie deficit with weight/size gain???

Options
Hi everyone,
I have been in a calorie deficit for over 6 months 1200 calories a day. I was gradually losing weight/size. I had 1 week in the healthy BMI range then for the last month I have been gaining weight/measurements about half a kilo a week. Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice on what to do differently to start losing weight again?

Replies

• sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    How close are you to goal weight? Have you made any changes to diet or exercise? How accurate is your logging? How long have you been at the same weight (or within a pound or two?)
  • wishybee321
    wishybee321 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have 7 pounds to lose to reach a healthy BMI, 10 pounds would be ideal. Only slight diet changes but definitely under 1200 calories because I always track it. I never eat my exercise calories. I made changes to exercise about 3 months ago, been the same type of exercise since then. My weight is not staying the same, was losing, now I’m gaining weight quite quickly 1 pound a week.
  • wishybee321
    Options
    Thanks sbelletti. I am mid 40s, 141 pounds and 5’4. I usually over estimate my calorie intake, I’ll get some scales and start weighing all food. Hopefully will make a difference.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    We are very close to the same stats! 45, 5'5", 140 lbs. 😊 The last 10 or so pounds are SLOW to move, so you definitely want to be really careful with your calorie counting. Just 100 calories over each day can make a big difference. Keep me posted!
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    If you are logging your calories accurately (weighing everything, counting everything), then I would note 1200 calories sounds very low. I am similar stats - I'm 49, 5'4", and I weigh about 125. I can lose weight eating 1700-1800 calories a day, and I maintain at around 2100 calories day. Now I am very active, but still. Maybe it would be helpful to take a maintenance break, eat at your maintenance calories for about 4 -6 weeks to get your metabolism back up, and then go back into a deficit. This is something that worked for me when I was losing.

And remember - there is no finish line! The habits you are developing are necessary to keep the weight off, not just lose, so a maintenance break would also give you practice learning to maintain your weight.

Good luck with everything!
  • wishybee321
    Options
    Thanks ChickenKillerPuppy